Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 08:18 AM

130 posts, read 297,366 times

Advertisements

Please read the details before responding.

I have a job now for which I have received performance awards and highly positive performance reviews. My same job (same duties and responsibilities) opened up in the same company, but in my hometown city. I want to go back to my hometown, so I want this job. I would imagine my chances are very high, but there is the possibility that they go with an internal candidate or someone with more exp (doubtful, since the job doesn't pay much compared to more competitive jobs). So I won't put my hopes up too high.

Anyway, since I work in the same company I have access to the email directory. Would I come across as too eager if I were to email the hiring manager and expressed my interest in the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:23 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
I do not think it would hurt your candidacy. Most likely it will be each manager fighting for you. Your current manager might fight to keep you there and sometimes might have the final say in all of it. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,282 times
For an internal position, definitely reach out to that HM.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,561 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Here for a lateral transfer the current manager has to approve it. For a promotion, they have no way to stop it. Since you are an employee and have the e-mail address, I would go ahead and express your interest in returning to your hometown so he knows you are serious about relocation.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx09 View Post
Please read the details before responding.

I have a job now for which I have received performance awards and highly positive performance reviews. My same job (same duties and responsibilities) opened up in the same company, but in my hometown city. I want to go back to my hometown, so I want this job. I would imagine my chances are very high, but there is the possibility that they go with an internal candidate or someone with more exp (doubtful, since the job doesn't pay much compared to more competitive jobs). So I won't put my hopes up too high.

Anyway, since I work in the same company I have access to the email directory. Would I come across as too eager if I were to email the hiring manager and expressed my interest in the job?
****UPDATE**** - 6/21/2014

So I emailed the hiring manager on Friday, June 6th, asking him questions about the projects they are working on. These were questions I couldn't easily find the answers to myself. He basically thanked my interest in the position and answered the question, and that was it.

Anyway, the position closed this past Thursday, June 19. Now, I will be in my hometown July 1-3 for vacation. Next Friday, June 27, if I don't hear from him about my app, I am planning to send him another email to re-express my interest in the position and tell him that if my application is considered, I would be available for an in-person interview for those dates. Otherwise, I would have to do a phone interview, since my current job is an eight hour drive away.

From experience, I have HATED doing phone interviews, so I'd prefer in-person. Would I be too presumptuous if I were to email him saying I will be available for an interview (if my app is considered) for these dates? Perhaps I could email him in two parts--one part to check the status on my app, and if he responds, tell him that I am available for an in-person interview 7/1-7/4?

Old 06-21-2014, 06:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,561 posts, read 81,131,933 times
No, I think at this point, since you have applied for it, you should contact HR, not bother the hiring manager. Also, wait at least 3-4 days, if it just closed they are probably still sorting out the applications.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, I think at this point, since you have applied for it, you should contact HR, not bother the hiring manager. Also, wait at least 3-4 days, if it just closed they are probably still sorting out the applications.
well, I would contact HR, but in my company the hiring manager is directly responsible for all aspects of the job process. HR doesn't do anything.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 AM

12,106 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Have you considered that he or the people involved in hiring may be on vacation for a long holiday weekend as well?

As someone who does hiring, I would find your email somewhat presumptuous and off putting.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Have you considered that he or the people involved in hiring may be on vacation for a long holiday weekend as well?

As someone who does hiring, I would find your email somewhat presumptuous and off putting.
joe - of course I did. I took a week off, which includes working days. I will be there Tuesday-Sunday, and the July 4th long weekend starts Friday. So if the opportunity presents itself, they could interview me Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday (July 1-3).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search