Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 PM

280 posts, read 685,904 times

Advertisements

What are your opinions on Indeed.com and SimplyHired.com? How do they compare to other methods of finding work (ie--newspapers, networking, college career offices, etc)

Have you ever successfully found a job through them?

What are some shortcomings of these sites?

What are some tips that you would give to people using these sites?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,397 times
They're good for possible leads. I have found they have the same jobs listed on both sites. However, when I do see a job there that peaks my interest for a local company, I will check their website to see if they have it listed in their career section before I pursue it. Lots of these sites will list fake jobs to get you to send them your resume and contact information.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:10 PM

563 posts, read 1,269,963 times
I just used indeed.com today to apply for 3 jobs. I too check the company website to verify the job being advertised is actually available as well.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Why do you all think that Indeed.com and Simplyhired.com are now more popular than traditional job search sites, such as Monster.com?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Monster used to be a very good job source. Not so much anymore that I've seen. Check your state's Dept. of Labor website for their job seeker section. My state has a great site for jobs with large local companies and I know they're legit jobs. I also get email notifications from an iHire site for secretarial and administrative support, but you have to PAY $75 for 3 months of service to get the FULL listing and that includes the company name, etc. I refuse to pay for something like that. I called their CS center and asked them why they charge for their services when nobody else does (Careerbuilder, etc.) and they told me that all of their jobs are legit. I found that real hard to believe.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM

KABurke,

So does Monster make you pay?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
KABurke,

So does Monster make you pay?
No. I've used Monster off and on for a long time and I've never had to pay anything.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Indeed and Simplyhired are not good sites for job hunting. Generally they have jobs that have been posted for more than a week. By that time they have received dozens of resumes.

I have found that LinkedIn and the company I want to work for are the best way to apply for an interview.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
What are your opinions on Indeed.com and SimplyHired.com? How do they compare to other methods of finding work (ie--newspapers, networking, college career offices, etc)

Have you ever successfully found a job through them?

What are some shortcomings of these sites?

What are some tips that you would give to people using these sites?
I've used those but come to think of it I don't think I've ever gotten anything from them...indeed is basically a job search engine compiling ads from Monster etc.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 PM

276 posts, read 430,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Indeed and Simplyhired are not good sites for job hunting. Generally they have jobs that have been posted for more than a week. By that time they have received dozens of resumes.

I have found that LinkedIn and the company I want to work for are the best way to apply for an interview.
Perhaps it depends on the market you're in. I've used both Indeed and Simply Hired. Actually, the outplacement firm I used job search section was powered by Simply Hired. Anyway, I found the jobs to be quite current if that was how I set up my query. Linked In is fine, but jobs posted there are not always that "fresh". I've seen jobs I've applied to through other means eventually posted by the company on Linked In. One benefit of Linked In is you can often see the salary range and how many other people applied. Personally, I included all the search engines mentioned and niche sites in my field. Another thing to note is if you are going the contractor route, I have never seen the contract positions posted on the company's website. Instead, I've seen them on Indeed & Simply Hired and other specialty sites such as Bullhorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search