Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,014 times

Advertisements

If you are applying for jobs, is it better to be unemployed on the resume or currently employed. I thought being employed would look bad since its tacky to search for a new job while you have a job but apparently I'm getting contradicting info on it.

btw, this is for someone who just recently got out of college and in the field accounting/finance

Last edited by capitol; 01-07-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM

110 posts, read 330,624 times
I would say employed because it shows that you are an "in-demand" person and that you are ambitious in your career.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
employed.

It also gives you more salary leverage. If they offer less money, then you can move on.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM

126 posts, read 429,350 times
Employed. Some companies have been known to discriminate against the unemployed.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
If you are applying for jobs, is it better to be unemployed on the resume or currently employed. I thought being employed would look bad since its tacky to search for a new job while you have a job but apparently I'm getting contradicting info on it.

btw, this is for someone who just recently got out of college and in the field accounting/finance
It's always better to be employed because that shows that you want to work and are capable of working. Most people who look through the job applications and will do the hiring understand full well that people change jobs, they look for better opportunities, they want to move up, want more money, or be closer to home, etc.

If you aren't employed, they will think others didn't want too hire you, or that you aren't that motivated to work, or that you were fired because you didn't work out.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Usually it helps to be employed but some temp agencies prefer not; that way they know you are available immediately.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
I know people are saying that it's better to be employed but I know I wouldn't get one if I already had one that I liked to some degree (and I would never get a job that I didn't think I could handle/detest..that's just desperate and employers can sense that a mile away. you do not want to lie. if you took a job just for the money bye don't let the door hit ya!). not to mention though money is very important to me, why degrade myself doing something I know isn't going to work out?
unfortunately I guess it's a tricky situation. you don't want to be desperate but you want to look employable.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's always better to be employed because that shows that you want to work and are capable of working. Most people who look through the job applications and will do the hiring understand full well that people change jobs, they look for better opportunities, they want to move up, want more money, or be closer to home, etc.

If you aren't employed, they will think others didn't want too hire you, or that you aren't that motivated to work, or that you were fired because you didn't work out.
^+1. Always better to be employed. Shows you have the desire to work, and are working. Even if its a really low paying job, like Burger King... its better than you appearing to sit on your thumbs and be waiting for something to come to you. Employers like inititive and drive in people.

That said, for alot of folks unemployed, taking a job at the local BK might not work, as they probably make more money being unemployed, getting the hand out from the feds. Pretty sad system.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
^+1. Always better to be employed. Shows you have the desire to work, and are working. Even if its a really low paying job, like Burger King... its better than you appearing to sit on your thumbs and be waiting for something to come to you. Employers like inititive and drive in people.

That said, for alot of folks unemployed, taking a job at the local BK might not work, as they probably make more money being unemployed, getting the hand out from the feds. Pretty sad system.
I don't get much from the government but I still wouldn't work at a fast food place ever again.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 AM

315 posts, read 651,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I don't get much from the government but I still wouldn't work at a fast food place ever again.
Thats the type of attitude that burned alot of people in the last recession. People think they are "too good" to do certain jobs. I don't care if I have to flip burgers or what not, I do what I need to do to get the bills paid, end of story. And in the end, it can only benefit you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search