Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,363 times

Advertisements

I found myself in a rather odd position earlier this week, I am currently unemployed...been out of work since 2009...in the meantime I went back to school and will have my BA this spring...in anticipation of getting back into the workforce and paying off my loans, hoping the economy by now would improve some (which it's actually gotten worse), I've been applying and interviewing for two months now and nothing...the longest I've ever gone while looking for work.

So I'm being interviewed for a job and the guy interviewing me asks me to describe some of my tasks on a previous job, I did, then he accused me of lying! He said I was lying and exaggerating about the work I did, and he said that he knew the supervisor I worked for...but the work I was describing was actually performed under the supervisor that was prior to the supervisor he supposedly knew. I explained that to him, but he told me "whatever...you don't need to lie to get a job"...I was in a very odd position, here I'm desperate for work but I'm also insulted and want to stand up for myself, either way I figured it's a lose-lose. He asked me some more questions...then I'll give him credit he did say he would not hire me, but I could call his supervisor, gave me a name, and told me to ask him for an interview...which has happened before on another job interview, just another way of saying "we'll call you" and rejection letter waiting to be stamped. Needless to say I didn't get the job.

Anybody experience this before? I'm not trying to be bitter but it is upsetting and it makes me think low of the company that would have people like this as Human Resource representatives...even if I was lying he didn't have to say it, a "thank you...we'll call you" and show me the door...also this interview was done in the lobby in the open where the general public were sitting and they heard everything...I was humiliated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
Forget him and move on.

This world is covered in ass holes. I'm sure he wasn't the first, or the last, that you will encounter. Just forget that experience.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,295 times
This is extremely unprofessional of the interviewer and would not be a company I would want to work for. I have also never heard of having an interview in an open lobby where the general public could overhear. Honestly, I would look at not being offered the job as a blessing in disguise, and move on. You deserve to be treated better than that. As far as reporting this person, I dont know. I would probably just leave it alone and move on, but thats just me.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM

455 posts, read 898,309 times
If this interviewer outright told you that you were lying right there in the interview without actually checking up on the claim and verifying that what you said was indeed untrue, then not only was that person out of line, but you probably don't want to be working in a place with people like that to begin with.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
I would have walked out. You got really lucky. Imagine life under him, if you were his employee. This kind of boss increases turnover and drives away good employees. Who knows, maybe he drove away his last employee and that's why he is hiring?

Even if he called me back to apologize and offer the job, I would tell him to take a hike. There is already one red flag with this guy.

Count your blessings.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:40 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
I'd call his supervisor and complained about the unprofessional behavior.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
It was an HR rep not a prospective manager that accused him of lying. I would consider reporting him to his superior but that would likely not do anything. There are, unfortunately, cerebrally challenged HR people at almost every company now a days and they are really just a very annoying barrier that you have to humor and get around. After you are hired you will likely never have to deal with them again (thank goodness I'd go nuts If I had to talk to an HR bimbo every day). Best to move on.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,776 times
I've stopped paying attention and counting instances of HR / Recruiter stupidity. I've been accused of lying for "not having a minor", "for saying I graduated in August", "for my race not matching my name", when I was younger, for "being too young to have a degree", etc. Develop a thicker skin (figuratively), and use it as a learning experience.

On a side note, I've seen my more than my share of stupidity and ignorance for so called 'technical' people interviewing me also. I was told before I was lying when I said I used Informatica Superglue to develop reports (I'm a liar because the interviewer had never heard of Superglue and said I was making it up). I was told by somebody interviewing me before, that I was lying about developing using C++ at Ericsson, ... because everybody at Ericsson was using Erlang, etc., etc., etc.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 AM

200 posts, read 482,656 times
Had that been me, I would have stood up and just walked out. Better that you find out what the company is like BEFORE you get hired than after!

Option B: Next time, tell him to put that in writing. Then take it as you walk out!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 AM

486 posts, read 992,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Forget him and move on.

This world is covered in ass holes. I'm sure he wasn't the first, or the last, that you will encounter. Just forget that experience.
So, so true. I have been through countless crap interviews, you just laugh and move on, even if it is moving on to nothing (like me!).

I am amazed at how many people take their jobs way too seriously. Many jobs are trainable and anybody with a pulse can do them. Why interviewers have to make the job sound so "important" is beyond me. Hey, interviewer, it is just a job, lighten up and stop treating interviewees like crap during the interview.

I am sure I will be bombarded with interviewers saying interviewees treat them like crap too, well like statisticsnerd said "the world is covered in ass holes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search