Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
I once showed up about 45 minutes early because I didn't think the bus would get me to the place so fast. And it was a rehab facility, so it was basically a house and it wasn't like I could hang out in a building lobby. I didn't want to look weird just standing on the street in a residential area.

When the woman doing the interview showed up and we were heading to the office, she told me not to come so early for interviews.
You could have walked around the block. Or tried to find a coffee shop. You could have just hung out at the bus stop. Plenty of options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:16 AM

603 posts, read 846,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You could have walked around the block. Or tried to find a coffee shop. You could have just hung out at the bus stop. Plenty of options.
I didn't know where I was and didn't want to wander around. I didn't know that the bus dropped me off literally right in front of the house I was interviewing at.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM

306 posts, read 517,362 times
Ahhh...

The pleasures and memories of being early to a job interview.

Sitting in your car with over 30 minutes before the interview, overdressed, over-cologned up, not wanting to move very much to cause a sweat to break out or wanting to wrinkle your button down or suit, realizing you forgot some of the details you had rehearsed in your head on the way there.

Then the best part of the interview, thinking about what you said right or wrong on the way back home... trying to make sense of every reaction the interviewer gave and trying to get a read on whether they liked you or not... wondering how many other people were being considered for the position... wondering how soon you should send that follow-up email... wondering why you have not heard back yet...

I hope I do not have to go through that for a while, if ever again. :/

General rule of thumb, I usually walk into the interview location 5-8 minutes early.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Old post, but as someone who just recently started a position with some recruiting duties, I will say DO NOT ARRIVE MORE THAN 10 MINUTES EARLY FOR YOUR INTERVIEW! We have so many more issues with people arriving early than late or doing a no call, no show.
We schedule people at certain times for a couple of reasons. One - we have multiple people scheduled throughout the day. We also work scheduling around lunches, breaks, meetings, etc. Two - We want to see if you can listen and tell time.

We had one person come in an hour and a half early! My colleague was doing the interview and made the guy sit and wait until his actual interview time. We've had others arrive 45 minutes to an hour early. It makes absolutely no sense to me. If you get here early, wait in your car, or drive around the neighborhood. Don't come in and assume that we are going to drop everything to interview you early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search