Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:53 AM

81 posts, read 341,833 times

Advertisements

Hopefully I can get a fairly fast answer to this question! (I have an interview on Monday where I need to bring my resume!)

On my resume, I have listed 2 jobs (Out of 4 Jobs total) where 1 of them is no longer located in the state I now reside and worked there at. On my resume I have its title and then in parenthesis, "formerly of my blah-blah state". When I fill out applications, I list the corporate headquarters address (which is in another state).

The second one is no longer in business in the state where I used to reside and worked there at. I have tried and tried to find out what ever happened to the place and what the old address was but have been unsuccessful. (I worked there over 10 years ago). I got an address that I think the company has moved to (In CA) but I havent had the chance to confirm and won't be able to until Monday!

I want to list these 2 places because the work experience I have from them is meaningful and I held senior postions at both places. I am sure if the company I am applying to wants to verify employment with company 1 they can do so...they are just in a different state. But company number 2...I'm not so sure! I dont HAVE to list company number 2 but again I held a senior position there and it does look good on my resume. Do you think they would hold it against me if they couldnt verify employment at company number 2 because it potentially no longer exists even in another state??

Both companies....I was employed with over 10 years ago. I am a stay at home mom going back to work after 10 plus years so these jobs are part of the only job history I have....What should I do??? TIA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 05:42 AM

121 posts, read 518,015 times
These things happen and can be explained. I guess an important issue would be, how long did you work at these two places. If it was a significant amount of time put them on. There are people who have been out of the job market in your situation. It is not unusual.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:29 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
I was faced with this dilemma recently. I was instructed by HR to not include the jobs since the companies were no longer in business and I worked there over ten years ago. Most job applications only ask you to go back ten years. Since you've been out of the job market for so long, you may look into updating your skills and padding your resume with some volunteer experience and/or temp work. And there's always the old "freelancing" trick to help explain that gap in your resume.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:21 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,337 times
Put both jobs on your resume. It still "counts" as experience you've had. Just because they've gone out of business, doesn't mean that you didn't work there and learn something. List the company name, title, dates, and duties just like you would for any job. I don't usually put addresses of each company on a resume.

Just get through the interview first is my advice. If they want to make you an offer down the line, then you can let them worry about how (and if) they want to verify your past employment. They will be able to see from the dates that you worked those places a long time ago, so they probably wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't contact them anyway. So if they ask you, just answer honestly that it was a long time ago. But don't put this all on you, it's not really your problem or responsibility to find out what happened to those companies. Your experience is what it is. So be confident and just go for it!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times
I put all jobs on resume and include a third sheet of job related references. For example, I worked at a doctor's office in SF, now the doctor is in research in a different state, so on the resume I list the place I worked and position, on the references I list the employer and his current contact info.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:25 PM

21 posts, read 172,231 times
What I have done with similar positions is list the last address (usually the one when I worked there), supervisor, and then '(closed)' underneath that.

I also keep a 'private' resume - the one I keep with everything on it, in case I need it. If I don't keep it I know I will forget the information, and it doesn't take much space in a filing cabinet.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 28,732 times
I was told by an outplacement company a few months ago that I should include other companies besides the most recent company on my resume, even though I was with the most recent for 10+ years, to show that I have worked other places. I imagine that is fine on a resume. What about an employment application? What do you do when you no longer have the phone number for the employers that are no longer in your state? I have tried looking for a specific division with a previous company, but I cannot find them. I heard they moved to NC. Would I put that phone number down?

Old 10-02-2008, 12:19 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
The company I work for right now is MY own company. It's a very small home business, but for a reference any company interested in me would have to talk to ME or my wife! The second company is still in business and can be called, but the 3rd company (going back 13 years) has been sold to another company with no references for me. If a company goes "out of business" and a person worked there for a number of years, I would put it on the Resume (within that 10 to 15 year work history) and just put down "out of business" where it asks for a phone number.........what can an interviewer do........not call you back for a second interview or understand what is written on the Application (Out of Business).

Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,195 times
List the jobs. Your resume is to detail where you have worked, when, for how long, for whom and what your skill set/experience/accomplishments were. If they ask you to give their telephone number you can explain. It happens, companies go out of business/move; it doesn't nullify your experience.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:01 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,950,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
List the jobs. Your resume is to detail where you have worked, when, for how long, for whom and what your skill set/experience/accomplishments were. If they ask you to give their telephone number you can explain. It happens, companies go out of business/move; it doesn't nullify your experience.
I was in the Engineering Field, many of them are gone but I still put them down as that is my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search