Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,152,280 times

Advertisements

How much time can 6 callbacks take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,063,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So has anyone else been going through this? Seems like it is becoming very common and it is just very rude.

I had an phone interview with a company 3 weeks ago. She scheduled me for phone interview number two and then said I should hear back within 2 weeks. After the second interview, I emailed her the information she had asked of me and a thank you note.

Well two weeks have gone by. And I haven't heard back. Sent her an email on Thursday and waiting to hear back. But how rude is that? At this point, I am sure I did not get the job. This is a pretty big company that is national and mostly everyone on this forum knows them so I am surprised they aren't more professional.

But this is not the first time this has happened. I have interviewed with several companies who say I will hear back within a couple weeks or so. And I never do hear back despite sending follow up emails. How hard is it to just say "I am sorry but we have selected someone else. Good luck to you."?

Anyone else go through this? Have you ever had a situation where you didn't hear back for a while and thought you didn't get the job but ended up getting it? Any other related stories?

Need some encouragement here. Feels like I have just been having back luck all around.

Why waste time and energy on a company not calling back when you have save most of that energy for finding new opportunities?

Now I will say with the job I have now there were times that I thought it was over and I wasn't getting the job after 2 weeks but out of the blue the lady called back. But you are always going to have a company who won't contact you at all after a interview so it's no need to let it bother you.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,692,774 times
That happened to me a month ago...they told me that they would mail me a rejection letter or a call me if I got the job and I never got any call or mail. I pretty much gave up on them

Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Yet there's multiple threads and posts that an employer calling or emailing to tell you that you DIDN'T get the job is the rudest thing ever... go figure.

It's better to just send a letter about not getting the job rather than call someone and get someone's hopes up making them thinking they are about to receive a job offer.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
Once upon a time, I interviewed with a local women's organization and was told, "We'll let you know one way or the other" at the end of my interview and never heard from them.

Some time after that interview, probably 10-12 months later, I interviewed with a different person for a different job in the same organization. At the end of the interview, I was told "I will let you know one way or the other," I replied that I would really appreciate that because of the previous experience. The woman was very sympathetic and said "Oh, I know--I've had that happen to me, I understand how frustrating it is, so I will be sure to let you know!" You guessed it--never heard anything from HER either!!

Well usually when someone says you will know either way, that means you are not being selected. So maybe were trying to get you a hint because when I heard "either way" that meant I was not going to get it.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It's better to just send a letter about not getting the job rather than call someone and get someone's hopes up making them thinking they are about to receive a job offer.
i can see that. i'm not going to tear my hair out because i got my hopes up while the phone was ringing (or for a day or whatever if they left me a vague message), but that is annoying.

once i had a very clearly awesome interview for a job i was very excited about and i got a message from someone in HR saying "i heard great things about you from the interviewer, and i wanted to talk to you about this job."

i got SUPER EXCITED but it turned out i didn't get the job. the interviewer wanted HR to keep me on their radar for other things, and she was calling about a different job. it took us several days (and over a weekend) to connect so i could find that out, too. it's ultimately a great thing that i now have this contact in HR who is really pulling for me, and there are a lot of jobs there for me to keep applying to, but man it was disappointing to learn that i hadn't gotten that particular job!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Well usually when someone says you will know either way, that means you are not being selected. So maybe were trying to get you a hint because when I heard "either way" that meant I was not going to get it.
i don't think you can really draw that conclusion from that statement. does it mean that sometimes? sure. but usually? nah. usually it just means exactly what they said. that they plan to let people know either way. just cause they're planning on it doesn't mean they'll actually do it, of course.

they might think you're a strong candidate or they might think you're a total flop and tell you the same thing. people always try to read a ton into every little thing their interviewer says and does but it doesn't really work that way. mostly people say what they mean or what they tell everyone and are not speaking in secret code.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i can see that. i'm not going to tear my hair out because i got my hopes up while the phone was ringing (or for a day or whatever if they left me a vague message), but that is annoying.

once i had a very clearly awesome interview for a job i was very excited about and i got a message from someone in HR saying "i heard great things about you from the interviewer, and i wanted to talk to you about this job."

i got SUPER EXCITED but it turned out i didn't get the job. the interviewer wanted HR to keep me on their radar for other things, and she was calling about a different job. it took us several days (and over a weekend) to connect so i could find that out, too. it's ultimately a great thing that i now have this contact in HR who is really pulling for me, and there are a lot of jobs there for me to keep applying to, but man it was disappointing to learn that i hadn't gotten that particular job!

If i ever got a call from someone telling me I didn't get the job with no other info about some other opportunities I would have to hang up the phone. There is no way I can stay on the phone with someone who just informed me that I didn't get the job without talking about another position.

A letter would be make more sense if there was no talk of other opportunities.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't think you can really draw that conclusion from that statement. does it mean that sometimes? sure. but usually? nah. usually it just means exactly what they said. that they plan to let people know either way. just cause they're planning on it doesn't mean they'll actually do it, of course.

they might think you're a strong candidate or they might think you're a total flop and tell you the same thing. people always try to read a ton into every little thing their interviewer says and does but it doesn't really work that way. mostly people say what they mean or what they tell everyone and are not speaking in secret code.

When we want someone there is no such thing as "either way" because we are hoping that the right vibe is being sent to the person so their interest level will remain high for the position. The job I have now there was never any indication that they were interviewing other people and made me think it was just me during the entire process.

I know that was not the case but they did a good job in making it seem that way.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
If i ever got a call from someone telling me I didn't get the job with no other info about some other opportunities I would have to hang up the phone. There is no way I can stay on the phone with someone who just informed me that I didn't get the job without talking about another position.

A letter would be make more sense if there was no talk of other opportunities.
i dunno, as i mentioned, i got a rejection on the phone once and while it was sort of awkward, i had no problem saying "thank you for letting me know, and thank you for the opportunity to interview with you" or whatever. something like that. sure i wasn't happy but you never know how well you did, and you never know what else might come up down the line that they might think of you for. if you accept rejection graciously, it makes a very good impression that could pay off later. if you're just not capable of that on the phone well... yeah i can understand why you'd strongly dislike when people did that!

if i had the choice, i'd always get a rejection e-mail directly from the hiring manager. this gives you the chance to send a gracious response. some people say to ask for feedback but i don't feel comfortable doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search