Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
What about the applicants who schedule an interview and don't show up or bother to call? Is that classless or is it ok because the applicant is doing it to the employer?
Just curious how many do that? I have never no showed, once I was 15 minutes late for an interview that was 60 miles away and I called to let them know.

I think it matters what type of job. I am a white collar sales professional I don't no show for appts. of any kind. Kids applying for Walmart sure I could see a no show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
What about the applicants who schedule an interview and don't show up or bother to call? Is that classless or is it ok because the applicant is doing it to the employer?
of course that is classless too. no one is saying that only employers can do rude things in the course of a job search, just that this is one that happens too much.

i do agree with the people who've said it's not worth getting worked up over because it's so common, but that doesn't make it not rude.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Just curious how many do that? I have never no showed, once I was 15 minutes late for an interview that was 60 miles away and I called to let them know.

I think it matters what type of job. I am a white collar sales professional I don't no show for appts. of any kind. Kids applying for Walmart sure I could see a no show.
i schedule interviews for my bosses and i've had it happen once over 3 years and probably at least 100 interviews (my bosses oversee a big department with a moderate amount of turnover). and once a candidate showed up at hr not knowing who the interviewer or department was (despite being told on the phone and receiving a confirmation e-mail with that info) and by the time they figured it out down there it was too late to do the interview. yes, those 2 people are just as classless as the dozens of places where i applied and never heard anything back.

Last edited by groar; 04-09-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I am sure I am going to get attacked for this, but what's new...

If you want the HR people, the people who interviewed you, etc to call you to tell you that you did not get the job, treat them with respect. Don't swear at them. Don't call them names. Don't berate them. If you ask a question and they tell you that they are not able to tell you the answer, don't yell at the person, as they are not being difficult. They are not able to tell you. No one likes to call people to tell them they did not get a job...don't abuse them when they do. And, before you say this doesn't happen, think about how HR people get treated in this forum. And ask yourself how HR people are treated by people who know they are not getting the job....
why is there all this focus on CALLING people back? i don't think anyone has said they need to be called. just that they would like to be TOLD they didn't get the job, by any method. in fact some people said they prefer not to be called for a rejection.

i can understand why hr people would be reluctant to convey bad news via a phone call, and i can understand why applicants wouldn't want to get that news that way when normally a phone call from a potential employer means positive news. but why not an e-mail or a letter? there's no good reason not to do people the courtesy of letting them know that they weren't chosen.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
why is there all this focus on CALLING people back? i don't think anyone has said they need to be called. just that they would like to be TOLD they didn't get the job, by any method. in fact some people said they prefer not to be called for a rejection.

i can understand why hr people would be reluctant to convey bad news via a phone call, and i can understand why applicants wouldn't want to get that news that way when normally a phone call from a potential employer means positive news. but why not an e-mail or a letter? there's no good reason not to do people the courtesy of letting them know that they weren't chosen.
I appreciate a form rejection e-mail.

I treat find a job now similar to finding a new customer. I do my best, it's a numbers game, and I just keep professional, decline when their expectations are not a good fit, and find another prospect/job opening. If I keep prospecting I eventually find a good fit. If I put a lot of hooks out there and no bites then I need to take a hard look at myself and my approach.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times
It is rude, but, given the current job market, employers can afford to be rude right now and not have to worry about offending applicants (though that could change once the job market improves).

Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
It is rude, but, given the current job market, employers can afford to be rude right now and not have to worry about offending applicants (though that could change once the job market improves).
yeah, this is true. it's just unfortunate that just because they can be rude, they choose to be. it's not like it costs them much, in any sense, to send rejections.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
WHat a bunch of entitled people. The world does not revolve around you "THe company is rude. ect... ect" What if they interviewd 50 people. Should they really have to call back 50 people to say no thanks. How many of you, especially the men have gone out on a first date, which is essentially an interview, spent money, and decided you dont want to see the person again. You dont owe that person a phone call saying " Im not interested" just b/c you went on one date, or even 2. They should get the hint if they dont hear back from you after a few days

With companies, or dating, the people will get back to you if they are interested. WHy would you want to get excited anyway, just to see the company's phone number on your cell, just to pick up and have them say "we chose someone else". get over it

WRONG.

First off who is interviewing 50 people unless it is for a fast food/server job?

Second it is called common courtesy.

Third, yes most people do want an answer, even if it is a turn down. At least they know where they stand and can cross that job off their list.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:

This thread is NOT about applicants who don't show up for interviews. You just cannot stand for employers to get called out can you? If you have beef with applicants that don't show up for interviews, start a NEW thread about it.

And yes, it is rude for an employer to not say anything after an interview.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
This thread is NOT about applicants who don't show up for interviews. You just cannot stand for employers to get called out can you? If you have beef with applicants that don't show up for interviews, start a NEW thread about it.

And yes, it is rude for an employer to not say anything after an interview.
I agree. It is very rude and unprofessional for an employer to basically dismiss the candidate from contact if they aren't planning to hire them. I'm always, ALWAYS on time, early in fact, and out of, i.e., 10 interviews, I will get 2, maybe 3 rejection emails. I complied with their schedule and even though I wasn't chosen, I believe they should at least have the courtesy to let me know. If for no other reason, so I can mark them off the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search