Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times

Advertisements

My last two jobs were through Craigslist.

Neither of them posted their companies names if I remember correctly, just the anonymous email. BUT when they called me they were legitimate companies with real addresses in my city. I also am currently still working at one of the places.

The first one sure, it was only part time and didn't pay well, but it was better than making $0 while sitting at home!

I have had friends almost get scammed on CL. One was obviously too good to be true, the other seemed legit until she got there. Whatever it was she won't even tell me! lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I've got a few jobs from CL, as well as a number of interviews. There are plenty of companies in my city posting there; it's easy to bypass all of the online application BS, and just send a resume.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
About a year ago I found a job on CL. On a whim I responded to a CL job ad, and a few hours later I got a call back. Went in for the interview the next day, was hired on the spot. Fun job, decent pay, lots of travel, and good people. It was just a seasonal job (I'm a full-time student) and at the end of the season they asked me if I wanted to stay on and work full-time, but I had to decline the offer. I have school, kids, husband. I'm not looking for that right now (dang it!). Anyway - just wanted to share - CL isn't all scams. There's good stuff there, too. You just have to be careful and always listen to your gut.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
Not all scams but lots of scams. The legit ones requires a BA or BS to be a receptionist and it pays $9/hr. LMFAO.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I have had a few responses on Craig's List, not a lot. But only one of them was a scam.

A few months ago I interviewed for a job with a Mortgage-Broker firm and the gentleman told that they stopped placing their ads in Craig's List, because the last time was for the same receptionist position and their email got flooded with over 750 responses. I think a lot of people use Craig's List because you can find positions posted directly from the business, whether they include their names or not. I know I got tired of getting calls from job and temp agencies (and they use Craig's List, too).

I do dislike it when the employers leave off too many details. While I understand why they don't want to give their names, I do like to know where it's located. Is there public transportation to get there? I don't drive, so I try to avoid applying for work that I can't get to. And I think it's to their benefit to give a ball-park figure on wages. I recently interviewed for a job through Craig's List, and it seemed like a nice place to work for, but the pay was way too low. They wasted my time and theirs.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Since my Wife and I gave moved around a lot over the past 12 yours or so, I have always used CL to get short-term or McJob type jobs. Ive had great experiences using CL. The scams are so obvious I sort of wonder about peoples ability to get a job anywhere if you cant pick out a CL scammer.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
well I probably missed out because I refused to respond to CL ads that did not have a listed email address inside the ad
It stinks because you never really know for sure. I know when I used to post jobs at my previous job I never put the name of our place or use our company e-mail and those were legit jobs. I just didn't want throngs of people showing up or calling constantly once we gave out that information. (It was a very small place.) I find that a lot of small places seem to do this.

Unless it's a shady ad, I don't see the harm in applying if it's something I'm semi-interested in---I'm not giving them my SSN or my apartment number or anything.

I remember I used to have my resume posted on Monster and I would always get some annoying company (Bankers Conseco, as one example) calling me for "fast-track management positions" that started off as "100% commission" and blah blah blah.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Do you think its OK to post jobs that don't pay? (that are not charities)
Or jobs that pay minimum wage for jobs that required a 4 year degree?

They are ALL SCAMS!

Some employers are posting on Craigslist to see if they find a sucker desperate enough to work for minimum wage for a job that otherwise would have paid a $50k salary....we have bills to pay...minimum wage doesn't cut it these days!

If I had any power I would close it down because it is keeping people from getting paid what they deserve to be paid for their work, lowering buying power, and forcing people on welfare!

It is not only a SCAM, but a DISGRACE to the work world as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
What is wrong with these people who think this?

They are NOT all scams!

You suggest to someone who is unemployed that they should peruse Craigslist for jobs while they are already looking at other websites.

They respond "Their all scams".

Are these people even looking? I live in Ohio and if I went to the Columbus area on craigslist and looked "all jobs" there would be some scams. Not saying there aren't. The vast majority are real jobs! They may not be 50k jobs, but if your unemployed the $10 an hour job might seem pretty tempting after 9 months and your benefits start to run out.

You mention this to someone and all they can respond is it is all scam. That delivery jobs for Jimmy Johns which says to apply on their website is a scam? The warehouse job for Kroger is a scam? The pet sitting job is a scam?

C'mon people.

I don't want to surmise and give opinion of how people really are over the internet, but these people who respond with "their all scams" are lazy. Are they even looking? They must not be if they think their all scams. Their also usually the "half glass empty" people. They think nothing in life is good or they will be unemployed for 25 years.

Have some dignity and respect for yourself and at least try. Don't just give me the usual blah blah there are no jobs and their all scams scenario.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:36 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Do you think its OK to post jobs that don't pay? (that are not charities)
Or jobs that pay minimum wage for jobs that required a 4 year degree?

They are ALL SCAMS!

Some employers are posting on Craigslist to see if they find a sucker desperate enough to work for minimum wage for a job that otherwise would have paid a $50k salary....we have bills to pay...minimum wage doesn't cut it these days!

If I had any power I would close it down because it is keeping people from getting paid what they deserve to be paid for their work, lowering buying power, and forcing people on welfare!

It is not only a SCAM, but a DISGRACE to the work world as a whole.
That is capitalism at its finest!

If some sucker can't see that his abilities are worth more than $8.50 an hour he gets hosed while the employer gets a bargain.

This is reality....the big boy world. If someone can't see that they are worth 50k with a 4 year degree maybe they need to get smart on life. Or they will get "suckered" in many ways then just a job in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Since my Wife and I gave moved around a lot over the past 12 yours or so, I have always used CL to get short-term or McJob type jobs. Ive had great experiences using CL. The scams are so obvious I sort of wonder about peoples ability to get a job anywhere if you cant pick out a CL scammer.
I agree. The CL scams are soo obvious a blind man could find them. I'm sure there is a few I didn't think was a scam, but the vast majority are blatantly obvious. How people live life idk if they can't see such a blatant scam when there is one.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I've got a few jobs from CL, as well as a number of interviews. There are plenty of companies in my city posting there; it's easy to bypass all of the online application BS, and just send a resume.
That's one reason why I didn't mind weeding through the scam ads, when you do find a decent ad, its so much esier to just send a quick email and resume instead of filling out some lengthy application.

I also found employers who post on CL, respond much quicker. I've often heard back the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search