Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 PM

212 posts, read 1,003,646 times

Advertisements

Like most people on here, I hate my job. I don't like any of my coworkers, my supervisor can not manage his time worth s***, and I stay late every night. I'm burnt out and need a change, but the problem is - no other jobs appeal to me! I browse job postings everyday and end up stressing myself out more. I've tried looking at jobs outside my field and still nothing.

The only job I actually got excited about was a no-experience needed, total downgrade of my career online customer service job - but it's already been filled from what I can tell. I no longer care about making a lot of money so long as I can afford rent, bills, food and a few fun things a month (i.e. - movie tickets), I just want a job that doesn't make me want to slit my wrists.

Has anyone else been in this situation? What can I do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 PM

30 posts, read 96,147 times
What else can you do but to keep looking? You are currently working, so continue to be selective and keep looking.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,441 times
Like sseccus said, keep looking. You may never find a job that's appealing to you. Don't mean to sound negative, but it's the truth.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 PM

81 posts, read 214,666 times
Realize how much more unappealing it would be to go without food and proper shelter due to no job. Unless you are in a position where you can support yourself without a job, you need to work regardless of whether a job interests you or not. If I were you, I'd stay at my job and continue to look daily until finding something that I was qualified for. I'd, of course, keep my current job until getting a new job and then leave properly. Downgrading due to frustration is not smart, nor is leaving your job in frustration without something to fall back on.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Like most people on here, I hate my job.

First of all I would not say that is true. There are quite a few people who mention that they like or are at least satisfied with their jobs. And I am thinking your belief that all people feel this way is your justification.

I don't like any of my coworkers,

That is also on you. And this doesn't actually matter. Working with your coworkers not going out with them after work, is what matters.

my supervisor can not manage his time worth s***, and I stay late every night.

How do those 2 relate or do they?

I'm burnt out and need a change, but the problem is - no other jobs appeal to me! I browse job postings everyday and end up stressing myself out more. I've tried looking at jobs outside my field and still nothing.

That's because you are not going to find a job where you are happy because the source of most of your work unhappiness is you and not the job.

The only job I actually got excited about was a no-experience needed, total downgrade of my career online customer service job - but it's already been filled from what I can tell. I no longer care about making a lot of money so long as I can afford rent, bills, food and a few fun things a month (i.e. - movie tickets), I just want a job that doesn't make me want to slit my wrists.

Change your attitude.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 AM

23 posts, read 84,942 times
I can sympathize with that. I think your lack of excitement stems form how burnt out you actually are, not because the jobs you see online aren't what you're looking for. Basically you need a change of pace. I would try and slow it down, maybe take a little vacation if you can afford it, and look at job listings with a calm clear head, not with the feeling that you have to get outta the job you are currently in, no wonder you are all strssed out

Wish you luck!

Old 04-15-2013, 03:21 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
If you can't be the with job you love then love the your with.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:56 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Like most people on here, I hate my job. I don't like any of my coworkers, my supervisor can not manage his time worth s***, and I stay late every night. I'm burnt out and need a change, but the problem is - no other jobs appeal to me! I browse job postings everyday and end up stressing myself out more. I've tried looking at jobs outside my field and still nothing.

I've had three jobs in my life that I actually enjoyed. One did not pay enough, one was ruined when someone plowed in to my car, (my livelihood), and one, although I really did enjoy the job, I did not enjoy the psychotic co-worker that everyone listened to.

What you do is keep looking. Tell yourself every day that you are at work, "I am doing this for the money, that's the only reason I'm here..." and as someone else mentioned, imagine what life would be like having no food nor shelter. I know when you hate a job it is torture to keep going and regardless of what some think, a ton of places have managers, supervisors, etc who couldn't organize their way out of a paper bag. And busy body co-workers....OY VEY, what is with them? Do your work and leave me alone to do mine!

What is it that you love to do?

If you had the opportunity to do WHATever it is you wanted to do, nothing holding you back, (just envision this and don't start listing reasons why it will never happen), what would that be?

Do you want to work with animals?
Do you want to work outside?
Do you like science?
Was chemistry your thing?
Maybe you like the beach?
Do you like cooking or baking?
Are numbers your gig?
Driving, is that something you enjoy?
Putting things back together, does that appeal to you?

Etc.

Figure out WHAT you like to do and would LOVE to do for a job, for a career, for a life time, and find a way to make money doing it. If it requires going back to school, then go back to school and get started. If it requires moving, then start saving up to do that. If it requires getting shareholders, then start figuring out how to build a nice business proposal and thoroughly investigate and plan every thing you can think of, talk to people who are doing it, find out everything you need to know and do and give it a try.

When you finally realize you have a goal, that your days at the hated, loathed and despised place are numbered because YOU are working towards it being that way, in your favor, it's not as hateful to get up every morning and go where you wish you didn't have to be.

But before you start looking around for jobs, stop thinking about money and finances and location and food and shelter and just think: If I had the means and way to do whatever I wanted and earn money doing it, what would I like to do?

It doesn't even have to be a job that people consider a job...just start thinking.

THEN go look.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
i'd say apply for jobs you're qualified for, go and do however many interviews you can make it to, and consider it practice for when that perfect job comes along. one of them might turn out to be that perfect job (and the jobs that look great on paper are sometimes terrible). i once went in for an interview for a job i was pretty "eh" about when i applied and came out totally excited about the position. you never know. also your coworkers, supervisors, and work environment can affect how much you enjoy your job just as much if not more than the actual work.

Last edited by groar; 04-15-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
What can I do?
Increase the number of jobs you would be qualified for.
What are you qualified to do?
What kind of experience to you have?
What kind of training to you have?
Are you willing to relocate?

If all you have is a HS diploma and one year of experience and you want to work within one mile of your current residence, then naturally you don't have a lot of options.

However, if you have a masters degree in some sort of business or science or healthcare, etc and 20 years experience and you're willing to relocate, you probably have lots of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search