Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times

Advertisements

I see fax numbers on job ads about 3 to 4 times a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Its not luck, instead it sounds like they reviewed their application and wanted to move forward in the process. As for rejections, those usually won't lead to a call-back if the applicant is not qualified (but companies should at least send back an e-mail to that effect).

I would have to agree. No one searching for a candidate is going to open their first e-mail and say, "Wow! This candidate is perfect, no need to even look at any other applications." But hey, we all have our little superstitions when it comes to doing certain things - no harm in that.

You do realize that many people at many companies work or at least receive and respond to e-mails, between the hours of 6:00 PM to 8:00 AM.

The real secret is to be a person who appears to be (highly) qualified for the position to begin with. Unless it is a lower-level McJob, someone who possesses a lot of the proper skills and experience to make them a candidate is likely going to have those "keywords" that are being looked for in their resume / CV to begin with.

That's not "crazy", nor is it unique to that situation. The bottom line is that an employer / interviewer can choose not to hire somebody for whatever reason they like, no matter how rational (or irrational) that reason is. This why certain types of questions are not asked (unless the interviewer is a complete idiot) and why most companies will simply tell the applicant they have not been selected, without specifying an actual reason why.

Well at some point, if a company if flooded with "100's and 100's of resumes for a position" they have to stop sorting through them at some point, especially if they are able to identify a sufficient number of potential candidates within the first few hundred.

Part of the problem, as you allude to, is that with the advent of on-line applications, there are people out there that will just apply to anything and everything, simply because it is relatively easy to do so. And it is all of these people deciding to send in resumes anyways, even though they may only be partially or marginally qualified for the position, that bear some responsibility for mucking up the process.

I had a 100% success rate applying to jobs at 7pm and after.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:20 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
What I hate about online applications is the fact that I just uploaded my resume, only to fill out my experience and information all over again. But I have deiced to do something a bit different with my job searching-contacting HR directly. I have never done this before since I was under the impression that you should wait for them to call first. But at the same time, I have to show initiative and that I really want the job.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:22 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
I have a 100% success rate applying to companies that begin with the letter "C" and on Tuesdays.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,588 times
I've submitted a total of 187 applications at this time. Places in question include but aren't limited to: Macy's, Sear's, Bloomingdale's, McDonald's, Nordstrom, Petco, PetSmart, Express, Family Dollar, Verizon, AT&T, Darden, GNC, Vitamin World, Best Buy, RadioShack, Apple, Ralph Lauren, Office Depot, Staples, Home Depot, TJ Max, a handful of temp agencies and more.

That's why I hate applying online. I got more interviews with paper applications because they let you interact with the manager and sell yourself right there. Nowadays they tell you "fill it out online and don't contact us."

Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,176 times
"Fill out online and don't contact us." = Go away. We haven nothing for you. = "get lost".
Same like the old Hollywood cliche "We'll call you."

Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
"Fill out online and don't contact us." = Go away. We haven nothing for you. = "get lost".
Same like the old Hollywood cliche "We'll call you."
I wonder if I really should just sell insurance door to door. At least I'd get a couple bucks every month or two. Income is income.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,176 times
speak for yourself.Going door to door can be dangerous. You know what kind of people are home during the day? People have bad**s dogs, you have people with guns, people on drugs, mentally crazy people, violent criminals, etc. Rich people in their gated homes with fancy alarm systems would probably ignore you. In the 50s people used to sell stuff door to door. This is the way of the dinosaur. Most people would be annoyed and would let you know it. It's like telemarketing. Another waste of time. But it's your call...LOL.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:32 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
Quote:
speak for yourself.Going door to door can be dangerous. You know what kind of people are home during the day? People have bad**s dogs, you have people with guns, people on drugs, mentally crazy people, violent criminals, etc. Rich people in their gated homes with fancy alarm systems would probably ignore you. In the 50s people used to sell stuff door to door. This is the way of the dinosaur. Most people would be annoyed and would let you know it. It's like telemarketing. Another waste of time. But it's your call...LOL.
I sure as hell won't do that. I remembered going to a seminar with Vector Marketing before I started college. I like how they were making everyone think that you'll earn $100,000 just going door to door. They don't even mention the crazy lunatics that might stab you with your own knives. My friend did that for a while and found something else.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
What do ou mean by online application?

I will agree with you if you re talking about monster, simplyhired, indeed, glass door and any other national aggregators.

I strongly disagree if you are referring to a company direct website. I have had excellent success with this type of online application.

With the national aggregators, I received only one response out of about 50 apps, and that never got further than the phone interview.

With company sites, my success rate was closer to 70%, but I have a strong industry specific résumé.
I had some luck with the monsters and those however most if not all of the jobs were insurance or scam sales jobs that are outsourced sales firms for telecommunications companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I think he meant like when you go for a mcJob or a job at some mainstream chain, the online application is horrendous. If you don't do the personality test a certain way you won't even get the chance to be considered for a job.
Don't even get me on the personality tests. If you post any answer than strongly agree or strongly disagree, you will not be considered for the job.

Quote:
I would say telemarketing is better. Though I know my mom gets mad because one calls us at 7:00pm EVERY week and apparently it is the same company doing so. I rather work inbound (where people call you) rather than outbound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I sure as hell won't do that. I remembered going to a seminar with Vector Marketing before I started college. I like how they were making everyone think that you'll earn $100,000 just going door to door. They don't even mention the crazy lunatics that might stab you with your own knives. My friend did that for a while and found something else.
Vector Marketing is one that depends on your area, your circle and other things. It is a hustle to do it but it wasn't for me. I did not know enough people to really make it work. I am not as down as it as other but I can see your point. The fact is, if you know those people are in your circle, DON'T use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search