Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 AM

241 posts, read 189,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is not fraud [a crime] to lie on your resume.
It should be. At the very least, someone who lies on his or her resume should be forced to pay all wages he/she received back to the employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
It should be. At the very least, someone who lies on his or her resume should be forced to pay all wages he/she received back to the employer.
If so then employers who lie to candidates, post fake jobs, waste their time at an interview when they've have no intention of hiring them should be fined and forced to pay for all the candidate's wasted time.

When the companies start playing fair then I'll start advocating that candidates reciprocate. Untill then its anything goes on both sides

Old 04-24-2014, 08:34 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
It is not fraud [a crime] to lie on your resume. The exception would be falsely claiming you have a license or impersonating licensed professions/law enforcement.

As many here can attest companies act as despicably as they want, they have an attourney on staff to let them know how far they can go without being arrested, fined, or sued. As a result, feel free to reciprocate and doing anything you can get away with to enhance your career. I know I feel free to do so.
Fraud isnt "illegal" its a tort. This means a company can sue you over it in civil court and will win. Tort law is very different than criminal law. Lying on a resume is misrepresentation and is fraud. Many job applications will actually state this in fine print.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Fraud isnt "illegal" its a tort. This means a company can sue you over it in civil court and will win. Tort law is very different than criminal law. Lying on a resume is misrepresentation and is fraud. Many job applications will actually state this in fine print.
Companies lie and misrepresent all the time with job ads, the hiring prcess, salary negotiations etc and I have yet to see one successfully sued and vice-versa.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
If so then employers who lie to candidates, post fake jobs, waste their time at an interview when they've have no intention of hiring them should be fined and forced to pay for all the candidate's wasted time.

When the companies start playing fair then I'll start advocating that candidates reciprocate. Untill then its anything goes on both sides

Exactly MSChemist80

Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Companies lie and misrepresent all the time with job ads, the hiring prcess, salary negotiations etc and I have yet to see one successfully sued and vice-versa.
Google "resume fraud." You arent going to hear about cases because its a civil case and the media doesnt give a rats azz.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 AM

My entire point was that we SHOULD be able to sue people for posting fake job postings, the problem is how do you prove it.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:03 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Lying on a resume... Many job applications...
A resume and a job application are two different things! You have to sign a job application!!!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 AM

40 posts, read 182,423 times
Yes I believe that they do lead people on. Unfortunately I have learned this lesson the hard way. Never ever stop your job search until you are working full time, and I personally wouldn't halt a job search until I was off of my 90 day probation. My position was eliminated 1 day after my 90 day probation with a company.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
A resume and a job application are two different things! You have to sign a job application!!!
Feel free to submit a falsified resume to a corporation and let us know precisely at what point in the process they pursue legal action. That will be a fun educational exercise for us all. The moment you submit a falsified resume to a company, you have misrepresented yourself and that is...as the courts have determined...fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search