Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:47 PM

108 posts, read 159,837 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from the UK to the States between late 2014 and 2015 (I am actually a US citizen but never lived there before..)

Anyway I was wondering if I should find work before I go or afterwards...

I have family to stay with when I get there... Plus I'll have approx. $15,000 in savings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 03:26 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,384 times
Absolutely. Both times I relocated within the states I did so without a job lined up. Huge mistake.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:42 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
if you're able, i'd try to have something lined up before you get there. it may or may not work out, but it's nice to have that security. it can take a long time to find work in this economy.

it is harder to job search long distance, because most places won't hire you without an in person interview, and some places won't even consider long distance applicants. it depends on what kind of work you're looking for, though. definitely make it clear from your first contact that you have concrete plans to move, are a citizen, and have family where you are moving.

it can't hurt to look and see what you can find once you have a clearer timeline. if you don't find anything, you can look when you get here. good luck!

Old 06-09-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
if you're able, i'd try to have something lined up before you get there. it may or may not work out, but it's nice to have that security. it can take a long time to find work in this economy.

it is harder to job search long distance, because most places won't hire you without an in person interview, and some places won't even consider long distance applicants. it depends on what kind of work you're looking for, though. definitely make it clear from your first contact that you have concrete plans to move, are a citizen, and have family where you are moving.

it can't hurt to look and see what you can find once you have a clearer timeline. if you don't find anything, you can look when you get here. good luck!
Hi

Thanks for your answer, quite informative... If it helps I'm looking for work in I.T., my degree was in Computer Science.. Anything along the lines of I.T./ network support, or systems administration.. Although to be honest I am willing to work anything really until I settle in and get on my feet

Old 06-09-2013, 05:34 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Ideally, it would be nice to have a job when you get here but that seems quite difficult to do from afar. When you arrive it should be easier but that also depends on where you are moving to. If, where I live, count on it taking even longer! How dependent on money are you going to be when you get to the US? If family is going to help, how much help are they going to be able to provide you if you can't find a job right away? $15,000 is a nice sum but it won't last long if you are not frugal.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:55 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Any position posted would not be for a vacancy in 2015.

Employers have a waiting list full of qualified candidates willing to start within a month. If it comes down to a candidate that starts now or a candidate that starts in 1-2 years, the first guy will win every time. It doesn't matter if they are local or international.

No employer is going to keep a vacancy open for 1-2 years until their new hire starts.

Last edited by move4ward; 06-09-2013 at 06:28 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
i am sure the OP is not planning on starting to apply for jobs for 2015 right now.

i think they're just asking if they should start looking a few months before they move. just planning ahead...

Old 06-09-2013, 09:05 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
This move is so far into the future as to be hypothetical to an employer. The only reason to start applying now would be to speak to US employers and begin the interviewing process just to acclimate to differences in the interviewing process over here.

If you have a solid IT background, you should be able to find work as long you are in a decent metro. Where are you moving to? Some metros have very strong IT markets, other metros have almost no IT presence, with larger metros usually being the best.

If family is putting you up and helping you with day to day bills, $15k could go a long way. I would go as cash heavy as possible until you get over here and see how things are.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Is it possible for you to get hired for a UK job with a company that has a presence in the US and possibly get transferred here? BMW plant is not far from my home and we hear of people coming here from overseas a lot. Where will you settle down in the US? This will make a difference in your success.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i am sure the OP is not planning on starting to apply for jobs for 2015 right now.

i think they're just asking if they should start looking a few months before they move. just planning ahead...
exactly this lol.. thought that was obvious..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search