Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 AM

108 posts, read 159,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Is it possible for you to get hired for a UK job with a company that has a presence in the US and possibly get transferred here? BMW plant is not far from my home and we hear of people coming here from overseas a lot. Where will you settle down in the US? This will make a difference in your success.
I have thought about that..

I also plan to visit the US for a month or so about 6-10 months before I move, that way I could apply to jobs while I'm there. I'm also using LinkedIn for connections in various states including the one I most likely will be my first point of call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:00 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBXGOLD View Post
I have thought about that..

I also plan to visit the US for a month or so about 6-10 months before I move, that way I could apply to jobs while I'm there. I'm also using LinkedIn for connections in various states including the one I most likely will be my first point of call.

Sensible ideas. For whom do you work now? Do they have an operation in the US? They must have suppliers, and customers...any in the US? Network em. Ditto if you are a student. The University must have a sister ship in the US, or some network that you can use to your benefit. Consider UK companies (drug companies (Smith Kline, Glaxo, for instance) with large US operations.

Just curious about your background. Why are you a US citizen, but never been in the US? Why are you moving to the US? It inferrs that yuo have some US link. Whatever it is, use it to the fullest extent.

And make sure you have a job lined up before you arrive on our shores. We are in a very funky economic situation with the Fed pumping billions into the economy every month. Even with that stimulus, jobs are not easy to find. The pumping won't go on forever, and when it stops, jobs will crater. IT will be easier, obviously, but still not easy.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:29 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Since you won't be moving til 2014-2015, I would at least start looking a few months before you actually move. I just graduated college and I started applying 3 months before I actually was able to get a job, and it helped me SO, SO much.

Take a look at the businesses where you are moving and make lists of possible places to work. You might even consider contacting them and asking if there's any workshops or tech. training you could receive before you move to further pad your resume and skills.

Do you know where exactly you're moving to?

Old 06-10-2013, 01:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Many companies look for in-state candidates. Some do use phone interviews and even starting to use Skype interviews if they are more technological flexible. The fact is it is harder to apply for jobs out of state. Does it help when you move, in some cases. It is just easy to have a job-lined up unless you have someone who is working for a company.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM

108 posts, read 159,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Sensible ideas. For whom do you work now? Do they have an operation in the US? They must have suppliers, and customers...any in the US? Network em. Ditto if you are a student. The University must have a sister ship in the US, or some network that you can use to your benefit. Consider UK companies (drug companies (Smith Kline, Glaxo, for instance) with large US operations.
I'm not working at the moment, I graduated from university about one month ago, so I've been applying for jobs since then.. I want to build up my experience to make myself as employable as possible before I go.. Plus I need time to accumulate more savings.

Quote:
Just curious about your background. Why are you a US citizen, but never been in the US? Why are you moving to the US? It inferrs that yuo have some US link. Whatever it is, use it to the fullest extent.
I have been in the US, a lot of times, I was there last year, I just have never lived there... My mother is American so I got citizenship through her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search