Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:05 PM

20 posts, read 152,770 times

Advertisements

I had and interview last Thursday and things seemed to go very well. They asked for my references and contacted them the following day.

In response to my Thank You email, the person who would supervise the position assured me that he would be in touch, and I quote: “one way or another” by the end of this week. It is already noon and I have yet to hear from him. Is it ok follow up today by 3pm or should I wait until later? Do I send an emailor give him a call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Call to "check-in", then followup with an email if he doesn't answer.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymla77 View Post
I had and interview last Thursday and things seemed to go very well. They asked for my references and contacted them the following day.

In response to my Thank You email, the person who would supervise the position assured me that he would be in touch, and I quote: “one way or another” by the end of this week. It is already noon and I have yet to hear from him. Is it ok follow up today by 3pm or should I wait until later? Do I send an emailor give him a call?

That "one way or another" didn't sound too good. Hopefully it turns out ok.

Just wait until Monday morning at 9am to follow up by email

Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
Monday.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:29 PM

20 posts, read 152,770 times
Well, got a call at 4pm... and I instantly knew it was going to be bad news. They decided to go with another candidate. It's difficult for me to believe that it took them 5 whole days to reach to this conclusion. So WHY did they reach out to my references? Why do employers/HR think it's a good idea to dispense rejection notices Fridays on or after 4PM? Is it an entirely selfish move, were they just call or send out the email then bolt out the door before us rejects have a chance to respond? Or is there some method to this madness?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Well, got a call at 4pm... and I instantly knew it was going to be bad news. They decided to go with another candidate. It's difficult for me to believe that it took them 5 whole days to reach to this conclusion. So WHY did they reach out to my references? Why do employers/HR think it's a good idea to dispense rejection notices Fridays on or after 4PM? Is it an entirely selfish move, were they just call or send out the email then bolt out the door before us rejects have a chance to respond? Or is there some method to this madness?
There is no way to know for certain, but it is probably one of two scenarios.

Option 1. You were the leading candidate but one or more of your references trashed you.

Option 2. You were the runner up candidate, but would have been acceptable if not for the other guy being a bit better. HR decided to do reference checks on both of you just in case. Candidate #1 passed the reference check, was offered the job on Wed/Thurs, accepted it on Thurs/Fri. Then they called you.

Because of the timing I think it was probably option 2.

Don't look at this as some sort of HR conspiracy. They did exactly what they promised. If they had called earlier in the day on Friday, would it have made any real difference? Either way they went with somebody else.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:07 PM
FBJ

Quote:

Yeah I agree that is the worst possible time to receive unpleasant news about a job, right before the start of the weekend.

Hang in there man

Old 06-16-2013, 04:49 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
You probably didn't get the job. I doubt he forgot. I can't tell you how many times I have been told at interviews either "we'll give you a call" or "we'll let you know either way" and then I hear nothing.

What I do is just assume that they didn't pick me, regardless of what they say, and keep searching until I have a firm offer.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:50 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
You probably didn't get the job. I doubt he forgot. I can't tell you how many times I have been told at interviews either "we'll give you a call" or "we'll let you know either way" and then I hear nothing.

What I do is just assume that they didn't pick me, regardless of what they say, and keep searching until I have a firm offer.

If a interviewer told me "EITHER WAY" i would know instantly I wasn't getting the job

Old 06-16-2013, 09:06 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
a lot of employers check the references of the top few candidates.

it may have been a bad reference (it's a good idea to try to find out what your references are saying about you to prevent this), but maybe your were good, or the other candidate had fantastic references. or you both had your pros and cons and they just decided to go with you.

they also may have made the decision earlier in the week but waited to see if their first choice accepted before they rejected you.

you should feel good about the fact that your references were checked. that means you were a top contender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search