Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 PM

103 posts, read 167,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'd rewrite your resume to something like:

Wow...that's way better...as far as the wording...am definitely going to use it..thanks a lot...if this lands me a job I'm buying you guys a beer!! :beer:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixa241 View Post
Wow...that's way better...as far as the wording...am definitely going to use it..thanks a lot...if this lands me a job I'm buying you guys a beer!! :beer:

No sweat. If I ever pass through Tulare on my way to Sequoia National Park again I'll pick up the beer.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:46 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixa241 View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. Yes I know I am young but I started off as a regular technician. about 8 months after working there they liked how I did my installs and how much faster I was then all the other techs so they promoted me to Lead tech. I would over see the other techs and train them to implement my installation techniques therefore adding to the workload in a day and being able to save on material. And although I was a technician we were also able to do sales if we brought the customer in. I saw this as an opportunity and would bring in whole apartment complexes into it and every tenant would go through me for the signing up of the service therefor profiting the company I worked for. I know not many my age are like this, but I had a great opportuinity and I worked hard for it.
This is exactly what people look for! Why are you explaining to the internet who isn't hiring you? Why isn't this in the resume? Word it differently, make it two different bullet points, and add it.

As for making two different jobs out of Dish Networks, I would say do it. Contrary to what unemployed people on the internet think, employers want to see progression; they want to know you're ambitious and are going to work hard, which getting promoted within a year shows.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Systems ....might want to call it OS or Operating Systems.

Also...what did you do on those systems...a user or admin? If only as a user, just remove the line completely.

BTW, you need to add Unix to the mix as soon as possible.

Usually IT folks don't bother putting MS Office "user skills" on their resume. The only time an IT person mentions MS office is when they did something on the IT side for it - something on the network or admin side mainly. If your MS Office skills are only as a user, remove it. Same with Norton software.

--------In the descritpion of what you did....throw some of the technical terms in there. What did you do on VPN. What was your role in Network Admin? I don't see it in the written out sentences, which should be littered with acronyms and software/tools/technical terms(IT resumes are different than other resumes. You need to spell out your hands on experience with the technology.)

What was the performance software tool that you monitored? there should be a name or acronym for it.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
This is exactly what people look for! Why are you explaining to the internet who isn't hiring you? Why isn't this in the resume? Word it differently, make it two different bullet points, and add it.

As for making two different jobs out of Dish Networks, I would say do it. Contrary to what unemployed people on the internet think, employers want to see progression; they want to know you're ambitious and are going to work hard, which getting promoted within a year shows.
What would be the best way for me to split the job up and add this to it??

Old 06-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Systems ....might want to call it OS or Operating Systems.

Also...what did you do on those systems...a user or admin? If only as a user, just remove the line completely.

BTW, you need to add Unix to the mix as soon as possible.

Usually IT folks don't bother putting MS Office "user skills" on their resume. The only time an IT person mentions MS office is when they did something on the IT side for it - something on the network or admin side mainly. If your MS Office skills are only as a user, remove it. Same with Norton software.

--------In the descritpion of what you did....throw some of the technical terms in there. What did you do on VPN. What was your role in Network Admin? I don't see it in the written out sentences, which should be littered with acronyms and software/tools/technical terms(IT resumes are different than other resumes. You need to spell out your hands on experience with the technology.)

What was the performance software tool that you monitored? there should be a name or acronym for it.
OK cool I see what your saying. The MS office side it was just a user and Norton software it was on the admin side. But thee only reason I have ms office is because on some of the jobs I'm applying for it states that you must know how to use ms office and I don't want them to just figure I know how to use it.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:46 AM

Ok I have updated the link fixing all of you recommendations. Here is the link again. This is my final version. Thanks for all the help everybody! [scribd]149244294[/scribd]

Old 06-23-2013, 10:11 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
It's fine, particularly for someone with 2-3 years expensive. The real question is - who are you putting it in front of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search