Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM

75 posts, read 123,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
I didn't have a game plan, to be honest. Since I was depressed during my last two semesters of school, I sort of cruised through them and planned on applying for jobs once I was done with school. I'm a "STEM" major and I have basic programming skills, so I thought I could find something that resembled a career even if it was a low-paying starting job at a tech or research firm. No such luck.
This is the problem.. What is it that you want to do?

Any hiring manager can smell someone looking a 'job' a mile away. Why fill a position with such person? Just so they can try the job out and see if it's for them (with equal probabilities of either loving the job or hating it and quitting) ?

If you don't know whether you'll like the job but want to try it out, you're looking for an internship, not a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
while my friends had parents help them with college,,---i didnt...

i worked in a slaughterhouse,,and on a fishing boat,,, to go to college,,,
very tough jobs,,,,

i started a menial job,,,at a company,,,being the clean up kid,,,but i starting advancing-because of good work ethic and attitude,,,,and became one of there youngest managers,

qhit your bitching and whining....get off your butt...keep trying,,,,,

dont give up...remember you make your own opportunities,,,

do you steer your own ship...or wallow in everyone elses currents,,,and complain about it..

Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times

But only 45% of those with BS in Physics went onto seek employment, 55% go for advance degrees.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:06 AM

17 posts, read 29,945 times
Default jobs

Jobs don't pay crap. Get you some kind of food and on Fridays set outside of a big plant maybe you could just sell coffee and donuts if you make a dollar for each cup of coffee and sell 50 cups and 50 cents a donut and lunch time when the workers leave for lunch they figure they can save time buying from you. Find you a company with maybe at least 100 employees. We used to work a construction job of about 400 employees. I used to set outside and sell oysters and sold a ton of them. Workers only had a half an hour for lunch and they didn't have time to run to town. You save them time. If someone could sell maybe 30 submarines at lunch and make $3 a piece that's $90. If you can make just a few dollars from a lot of people.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 800 times
I'm in the same boat. Graduated last year with a BS in molecular biology and expected to land a job as a research tech at a lab. Almost 100 applications and only one interview, I have managed to land a part-time job outside my field of study. With the sequester and now the shutdown, grant money is drying up and many labs are beginning to lay off personnel. I know how crappy it feels to have graduated with a STEM degree and only qualify for retail positions that you worked in while completing your degree. I really don't have advice for you but let you know there are others out there. Ignore the other posts that are suggesting you quite bitching and such.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
B.S. Physics. My job history consists of a research project with the Computational Neuroscience grad program, a part-time job at the university's Physics study center and a paid leadership role at my fraternity.
Physics is kind of difficult without an advanced degree. I know three Physics majors. One is my dad, who also got a PhD in Physics and actually went on to become a researcher, but that was a long time ago. Another is my college roommate who also got a PhD in Physics and now works in scientific equipment sales. The third is a really good programmer and now does some sort of coding for one of the huge online retailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search