Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,859,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
In healthcare, many companies' internal networks block access to yahoo e-mail, Hotmail, and g-mail, due to the security problems and constant spamming. When new pieces were added to HIPAA under the HITECH Act many healthcare companies strengthened network security and this included blocks to these spam-ridden easily hacked e-mail sites.

So you may be giving HR reps an e-mail address that they can't use, and they may skip over you and just go to the next resume in the pile.
Interesting...

Last year, I applied to over a dozen healthcare/medical institutions around the country w/ a gmail account on my CV. I don't think HR depts had any difficulty contacting me that way.

Also, there are different 'clearance' levels (for lack of a better word) that different staff members have. Most likely if you're in HR, you're not accessing/transmitting PHI. Even so though, our MDs/other clinicians have no problems contacting patients who are using gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc accounts.

Last edited by nifear; 08-19-2013 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 PM

246 posts, read 374,749 times
Personally, I have my own domain, but I am in the tech industry. My backup is a gmail account. When I look at resumes, I may take a snob's perspective if I see an aol.com or hotmail.com address, but I would never...EVER...not hire a good & qualified candidate because of the mail provider that they use.

I used to work for EarthLink & when dial up was dying a very slow death, EarthLink was still making millions off of people who were paying them $19.95 for a dial up account they never used just so they could keep their @earthlink.com email address. People get attached to their email addresses as much as people get attached to their mobile phone numbers. Once you have one, you never want to let it go.

That said, here is a bit of humor for this topic:

Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,670,954 times
Quote:
In healthcare, many companies' internal networks block access to yahoo e-mail, Hotmail, and g-mail, due to the security problems and constant spamming. When new pieces were added to HIPAA under the HITECH Act many healthcare companies strengthened network security and this included blocks to these spam-ridden easily hacked e-mail sites.

So you may be giving HR reps an e-mail address that they can't use, and they may skip over you and just go to the next resume in the pile.
my last job was in a big healthcare system and while we couldn't receive unsolicited e-mail from free domains (as i learned when i tried to work from home and e-mail myself my completed work!), it was no problem sending out to those addresses. and once we'd sent to them they could send to us. i used to schedule interviews for my boss and the domain was never an issue.

a couple of times i've seen job postings that say they don't accept submissions with hotmail, gmail etc addresses. but that's very uncommon.

and yeah, if a company can't figure out a way around the free e-mail issue (giving those permissions to people who will need them, for example), it's not a very well-run company. the vast majority of jobseekers have free e-mail addresses. it's uncommon for people to have their own domains or use their isp e-mails, and of course they'd be idiots to use their work e-mail if they have one!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM

283 posts, read 729,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I cannot even believe this is a topic; no one in their right mind will think of anything about your email address whether it is yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc.

If someone actually did think something about it, I guarantee you will not want to work at that place.
Agreed. Unless your email address is @webtv.net, LOL.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,492 times
Thanks for the opinions.

I teach grammar for a living - nothing interesting about it. Interesting humour, except I am from the times before myspace. LOL.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:03 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,254 times
Interesting thread. As long as your email account works fine, it should not matter. All the large free providers have issues time to time, but for the most part, free email is the easiest to use for everyone looking for work.

I believe the only time an email address might be non-professional when looking for work is, if your username before the @ sign shows something about your hobby that is too personal or revealing. Example: PartyBoy69 @ aol.com

From a decade or so ago, I do remember some of the tech snobbery around people using aol.com email addresses and so on, but if the candidate resume looks good, that should not really matter in the grande scheme of things.

Last edited by maus; 08-19-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 PM

285 posts, read 426,862 times
Quote:

So what email provider should a person use?
you pretty much listed every one

and doesn't a personal domain email address cost money?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,428 times
Not as long as you also link to your Geocities website..

Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
To me "hotmail" always made me roll my eyes just because of the stupid name.

It would be much easier for you to track responses to your resume with a separate email account anyway. I would go with outlook.com, if it were me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Not unprofessional, OUTDATED
Not outdated, irrelevant though.

I'm not saying I wouldn't notice it. Working in technology, I don't think I've seen a hotmail address that I can remember, for ages. But would any hiring manager here actually toss a resume because of it?

Maybe my criteria for candidates is that far off these days, and I should be much more superficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search