Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM

71 posts, read 249,685 times

Advertisements

I received a rejection email with a HR person I only had a phone screen with and I'm disappointed that she is not allowing me to go to the next round. I honestly don't think the phone screen did anything nor did we even discuss my skills. I know HR likes to make snap decisions about a candidate on the phone and I don't think this was a good filter based on the questions that I was asked. Has anyone responded to an email from HR? I would move on without second thought in most cases but I don't think I even got a fair shot to talk about my candidacy. I'm also very interested in the position and in a tough spot to find a job asap.

I would say something like: Thanks for the update. I am disappointed that I was not chosen but I truly believe that I am the best candidate because of X, Y, and Z. If none of the other candidates work out, I would be excited to be reconsidered for the position, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,064,598 times
I would not bother. You may have been qualified, but it is entirely possible that there were 12 people who were even better qualified than you.

If the company only wants to interview 6, they rejected you plus 6 more people ahead of you.

Once HR determines that you do not make it past the initial screening, you are usually irrevocably rejected for this particular posting for this position. If the position is reported for whatever reason, give it another shot.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:44 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,862,268 times
I have not ever responded to one from HR. However, I have replied to rejection emails that came directly from the PI/PM/direct supervisor and asked them to please keep me in mind if another position becomes available. This is, of course, after having several interviews with them.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times
yeah, the only response i'd send to the rejection is "i'm disappointed to hear that, but thanks for letting me know". but that early in the process, i doubt i'd even bother with that unless i really felt a connection with the phone screen person (which rarely happens). arguing back is not going to help. they have their reasons, which may or may not be reasonable. but if they're not reasonable, do you really want to work there? and fishbrains is right, you have no idea of what their candidate pool is like. they may have had the ability to be extremely picky and/or go with people who exceeded the qualifications a bit.

you have no way of knowing that you were the best candidate because you don't know who the other candidates are, and saying that you ARE the best candidate will come across as very arrogant and maybe even a bit naive/delusional. not a good impression to make. just let it go.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 AM

71 posts, read 249,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I would not bother. You may have been qualified, but it is entirely possible that there were 12 people who were even better qualified than you.

If the company only wants to interview 6, they rejected you plus 6 more people ahead of you.

Once HR determines that you do not make it past the initial screening, you are usually irrevocably rejected for this particular posting for this position. If the position is reported for whatever reason, give it another shot.
Thank you. This is a tough pill to swallow. It wasn't really my qualifications that got me rejected so this is what is bothering me. I would be completely understanding if HR felt my previous work experience does not translate into what they're looking for but that wasn't the case. I know my qualifications are very in line with the opening, but my answers to some unrelated behavioral questions which I do not feel did a good job of "screening" me out because I know I can excel in the position.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:03 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,446,321 times
HR rejects people for all sorts of reasons and often not for any reason that relates to ability to perform the job. There is nothing you can do about it except hope the next company actually hires people based on qualification instead of HR garbage and keeps their HR people on their leash.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,064,598 times
The rejection could be your experience compared to others, the behavioural thing, or a combination.

Either way, you did not make the short list and arguing the point won't help.

I know how you feel. I have been cut off from jobs that I was technically qualified for because of what felt like irrelevant reasons. It sucks, but the reasons are relevant to the company.

Live, learn, and move on. Best of luck next time.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,094,029 times
There are a million reasons why a person can be rejected. I understand your desire to press your candidacy, but understand that their rejection may have nothing to do with you personally, or your qualifications.

For instance, if the Department Head's brother in law, who is here on a Work Visa, needs to extend that VISA, the job needs to be posted, and they 'have to make an attempt', and document it, with immigration, so they can show that there are no qualified candidates except for for the Department Head's BIL. It's all administrative rigmarole, and nothing to do with you. They drag in a dozen people, pretend to interview them, note that they don't have exactly 273 hours running XYZ machine/software/whatever, which the BIL does, and therefore becomes a qualification, and you get rejected.

Get my point?

You can follow up....express your interest, show some willingness and motivation, leave a good impression and see what happens if they have another opening. I wouldn't press my candidacy for the job for which you interviewed: for what ever reason, it was filled by another candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search