Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:23 AM

206 posts, read 303,802 times

Advertisements

uggg but i have a question? do you think they rejected me because my past job experiences was under the table type job and it wont show on my records. SHOULD I HAVE JUST PUT NO JOB EXPERIENCES?? PLEASE REPLY THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
How would we know? That could be a reason but it might not be the only reason.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 AM

206 posts, read 303,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How would we know? That could be a reason but it might not be the only reason.
speak for ya self

Old 02-03-2014, 05:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Some retail store chains make applicants take a personality test to check for the personality traits they're seeking in employees. If you took one of those tests, OP, you may have given the "wrong" answers. If your answers were truthful, that's on them, not you.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
I feel terrible for people who apply for jobs that aren't degree'd, and they put you through the hoops then don't hire you- OP, the criteria for most jobs these days are ridiculous, seriously- and it's definitely an employer's world out there, with unemployment as high as it is (much higher than the "stats", for sure)- they can afford to be as choosy as they want to be, for jobs where there is no need to be so choosy- by that, I mean jobs such as retail, or restaurants, etc.- where there is a relatively high turnover, and always has been. I remember some years ago when someone I knew, a young person, wanted to apply to Taco Bell- and they wanted a resume'--I was shocked....a resume' for a fast food place, and he wasn't applying for any sort of managerial position- back in the day, you filled out an app, and that was it- not anymore.

Don't take it personally- this is just the way things are, these days!

Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I remember some years ago when someone I knew, a young person, wanted to apply to Taco Bell- and they wanted a resume'--I was shocked....
Meh. I had to have a résumé to apply for my first job at Radio Shack back in the early 80's.

OP, you are overthinking this. Retail/fast food places are flooded with applications. One big box I managed received 10-30 applications/day. If I actually put up a help wanted ad on craigslist I would receive 300-500. Since I only needed to hire 1-2 people/ month, in addition to a couple of seasonal surges, you can see that I didn't even look at most of the applications.

You probably weren't rejected for any particular reason, just that they did not need to hire the afternoon you dropped off your application.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Based on the other thread, you were eliminated due to the personality test.

Post #3 is an excellent example.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 AM

7 posts, read 16,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
uggg but i have a question? do you think they rejected me because my past job experiences was under the table type job and it wont show on my records. SHOULD I HAVE JUST PUT NO JOB EXPERIENCES?? PLEASE REPLY THANKS!
As a hiring manager with a friend who hires for retail - he has mentioned the following reasons they would look over an applicant:
1. criminal background (any theft, fraud, or money handling issues)
2. past references didn't check out
3. misrepresentation/dishonesty
4. Not passing some functional test (like using a cash register, data entry, or a questionnaire)

& also simply (speaking for us both) there are hundreds of applicants for a given minimum wage job since the requirements are low- this means being picky about who you hire

Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
You were rejected for using a preposition at the end of a sentence.

Seriously, WE HAVE NO IDEA.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Retail is very difficult to get into because there's so many applications for one job.
It's not you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search