Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,905 times

Advertisements

I have an upcoming interview where I'd need to work at a Military Base where I contracted at about 5 years ago.

I worked there 2.5 years but was not liked very much and didn't like the folks I worked with either. I ultimately left to double my pay somewhere else but new job made my commute horrible.

The Base is rather large with many thousands of people, the majority of the issues that I had were with the contractors, not military people, or government employees although some of the contractors have probably become government employees by now.

The contract that I was on also ended when the company that I worked with there lost the contract

I'd say that I had about 10 enemies there.

The job now pays better than even my present one and my commute would be a dream. I am concerned that I will see just one person there who did not like me and it would be game over.

Still, I'd like to try.

Thoughts on how to approach this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 PM

217 posts, read 512,678 times
Treat it like it was 5 years ago. Which it was. People change, assume they no longer carry a grudge. Fake it until you mean it if you don't think it has been forgotten. But honeslty, I would be a little surprised if they are really carrying a 5 year old grudge...I guess it is possible, but it seems unlikely..

Also, think it through...do you really want to work there? If it really is the dream job, then go for it...

Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndTiggerToo View Post
Treat it like it was 5 years ago. Which it was. People change, assume they no longer carry a grudge. Fake it until you mean it if you don't think it has been forgotten. But honeslty, I would be a little surprised if they are really carrying a 5 year old grudge...I guess it is possible, but it seems unlikely..

Also, think it through...do you really want to work there? If it really is the dream job, then go for it...
Well just before this job appeared, I went on a Linkedin binge and hit up everyone I have ever worked with. Probably the worst thing I could ever do, but noticed something in particular. No one from that contract will add me to their Linkedin.

It was like I was the worst person on earth. I guess that I just didn't fit in. I was an easy target to pick on when I worked there for whatever reason.

Thanks for the tips, I'll fake it like crazy.

The location is dreamy, but the job is not. I guess the location would make what I do more bearable.

You'd have to live in my area to understand why the commute is so much better. 38 miles vs 65 is like light years here. It takes me up to 3.5 hrs to drive 65 miles here.

Thanks again!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Just go in there confident and with a smile and if you see any of those people shake their hands like they are an old pal and say "oh hey SO GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN!"

I'm applying for a job at a place I used to work. There were three women there who went out of their way to make others miserable. One has left, the other two are still there, but I have heard that since both have become mother's they have mellowed out. If I see them I will just be nice and act like we were old chums, the bosses liked me and that's all that's important to me when it comes to getting the job.

Fake it till you make it in this case.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Well just before this job appeared, I went on a Linkedin binge and hit up everyone I have ever worked with. Probably the worst thing I could ever do, but noticed something in particular. No one from that contract will add me to their Linkedin.

It was like I was the worst person on earth. I guess that I just didn't fit in. I was an easy target to pick on when I worked there for whatever reason.

The location is dreamy, but the job is not. I guess the location would make what I do more bearable.

You'd have to live in my area to understand why the commute is so much better. 38 miles vs 65 is like light years here. It takes me up to 3.5 hrs to drive 65 miles here.

Thanks again!
I live in Los Angeles, 65 miles would take me half my life. Daily.

Definitely fake it until you mean it.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 PM

Hahahahaha! Thank you both so much for your time. This area is the home of crocodile tears. I can do this!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:00 AM

Best of luck!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:45 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
No one from that contract will add me to their Linkedin.
Bad sign. It is likely that the current HM will contact one or more of these on base people for references and you will be scuttled.

Quote:

I would be very, very cautious here. Do you really want to go back to work at an employer where you have such bad relationships?

Will this new position work with the people from your old contract?

What will it be like when you are the new guy, coming up against people who have 5+ years of established relationships and credibility? From their point of view, you are the difficult person and that reputation will precede you.

Personally, I would only apply for this position if your interaction with former coworkers at this base is likely to be non-existent. Any other contact, even relatively minimal, is likely to be difficult and could lead to your future unemployment.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Bad sign. It is likely that the current HM will contact one or more of these on base people for references and you will be scuttled.

I would be very, very cautious here. Do you really want to go back to work at an employer where you have such bad relationships?

Will this new position work with the people from your old contract?

What will it be like when you are the new guy, coming up against people who have 5+ years of established relationships and credibility? From their point of view, you are the difficult person and that reputation will precede you.

Personally, I would only apply for this position if your interaction with former coworkers at this base is likely to be non-existent. Any other contact, even relatively minimal, is likely to be difficult and could lead to your future unemployment.
Honestly, I can't argue with a word in this contrasting point of view at all!

Old 09-07-2013, 02:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Honestly, I can't argue with a word in this contrasting point of view at all!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you do need to keep your future in mind.

From a cost benefit viewpoint, the benefits are medium in terms of commute and salary. The potential costs are huge, in terms of unemployment.

If this were a small employer I would never consider it. A large employer such as a base makes this possible, simply because you may have no interaction with your previous coworkers. If I were you, I would take this level of contact into account and base my final decision on his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search