Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:16 PM

458 posts, read 645,083 times

Advertisements

At this day in age whenever someone requests a Skype interview, you know for a fact there is some incompetency involved.
Just keep in mind that they can't see anything from the chest down. (meaning your hands are outside of the camera boundaries)
If they are using an interview sheet, then you can definitely use a "cheat sheet".

Print a list of everything the company is about including the details of every job description and duties in that company and keep this list handy with you during the interview.
Practice recording yourself in front of the camera so you can watch where your eyes and hands are so you don't end up fumbling around during the interview process.
If you can't ace this interview with the advice I've just given you, then I feel sorry for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 04:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I think Skype interviews are kind of weird. Why not just a phone interview.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think Skype interviews are kind of weird. Why not just a phone interview.

Because you can put a face to a voice. Video conferencing has been around forever so most find a benefit. But I agree it's new and strange at first.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Sure, but I still think it's weird. Lol.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 PM

42 posts, read 50,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Do not participate in this nonsense. Interview on site and that's it. Tell all these people to stick it!.
Thanks Loose Cannon. You proved to be the best advice of all. I originally posted because I was extremely nervous for this type of interview. The position payed $75-80K with a decent benefit package and thought it would be a great opportunity. And yes, I did a mock interviews with my wife many times and played them back that weekend before the big day focusing on pseudo eye contact,(a camera lens) -the thing I hated most. Yes, I looked directly into the camera most of the time but the interviewer hardly did. My background was neutral, my audio and picture quality was top notch, I dressed the part for the job, (Traveling Construction Superintendent), and did everything right. He just didn't want to listen.

Let it be known this guy was an ass. The interview was scheduled for 2pm on Monday - the worst time of the day ever. There were interruptions on his part - remember keep the pets away and all that bull####? He was so rushed, didn't know how to interview only criticize and pump his own ego. As an interviewer can't you simply prepare your own list of questions you would like to ask a candidate in an uninterrupted time frame to see if they are the right fit in the organization? I despise rude co- workers who feel they can interrupt whoever at any time just to ask some stupid question that can certainly wait 30 minutes.

I could only imagine working for such a dolt! So he ended the interview abruptly, had to take an "important call", what I wasn't important? My friggin time isn't important? A monkey could have conducted a better interview with more compassion and professionalism.

In the end the recruiter who was cheer -leading for me the whole time, knew the owner personally had me thinking I was a shoe- in for the job and I would certainly prevail. Turns out days went by when he finally called to tell me they had selected someone else. Something I already figured out when the interviewer practically hung up on me without me being able to at least ask , "What's the next step?"

So just when I was going back to the bed to stare at the ceiling for what I thought would be past the holidays and well into the new year the phone rang. I could sense a desperate out of town employer needing to fill a local position. There was not time for silly Skype Interviews, face to face or even telephone interviews. No he needed someone NOW and was willing to take a chance sight unseen. Well, I accepted the position even though the money is less and benefits are less but the guy is a gentleman with strong values and can tell will be a pleasure to work for. Want to know something else? I will probably go the extra mile for this person without thinking twice than the Muppet.

I will do another Skype Interview again, I have enough practice. But remember, there are jerks out there and no matter how much of a perfect candidate you may be they may have already selected someone or the owners friend got the job or no one will ever be good enough to fill the position because the manager doesn't ever want to look bad.

Good luck on your job searches everyone, I am taking a break for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search