Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 AM

29 posts, read 40,515 times

Advertisements

I just had a phone interview, they asked me a bunch of questions and the interview went over the anticipated time. I thought it went pretty well, I'm recovering a cold so my voice was a little cracky. I'm a little nervous because as we were ending the call, the HR person said they had a good response to the ad and will conduct phone interviews for the next couple of days. She said IF they pass me along to the hiring manager and the hiring manager is interested in me they will call me for a second interview and I should know in a week or so. She also said good luck with your job search after that. I think I'm out the door on this one. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,050 times
I personally think that they have a script to read from and that's what you heard. I'm sure they're making sure they don't discriminate, irritate or give false hope to anyone so they read standard responses to cover their bases. I know it doesn't sound very encouraging, but I wouldn't worry too much for now. Perhaps you can contact them in a few days, after the interviewing is complete, to thank them and let them know you're interested in the position.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:30 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,771 times
Keep in mind that the HR person probably has no idea who the hiring manager will choose to interview. The majority of the people she screens over the phone will probably not make it to the next step. But it's not her call to make as to who will make it.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:50 AM

29 posts, read 40,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Keep in mind that the HR person probably has no idea who the hiring manager will choose to interview. The majority of the people she screens over the phone will probably not make it to the next step. But it's not her call to make as to who will make it.
But does the HR person decides if they're going to forward the resume to the hiring manager?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
.... I know it doesn't sound very encouraging, but I wouldn't worry too much for now. Perhaps you can contact them in a few days, after the interviewing is complete, to thank them and let them know you're interested in the position.
No "perhaps" to it. Contact them and THANK them. If there were any unanswered (or poorly-answered) questions, answer them. Summarize how you're an excellent candidate for the position. Close with another thank-you.

And yes, Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

-- Nighteyes

Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Doesn't sound like you bombed anything. That's not to say you definitely make it through to the next step but nothing in your description tells me you are definitely out. Best of luck.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 AM

402 posts, read 746,040 times
Sounds like the standard response. Need to score y candidates out of z applications and the top x get forwarded to the hiring manager for even further down-selection.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Try not to stress about it. I always think it is a good sign when you go over, they are interested in you. Did you tell them you had a cold? If not, next time I would preface by saying "my voice is a bit crackly this morning from a cold, so I apologize beforehand"

Old 02-02-2014, 03:07 PM

7 posts, read 10,385 times
Send a thank you email/letter and do a follow call. You want to stay fresh in their mind! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search