Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 PM

92 posts, read 117,897 times

Advertisements

Long time lurker here, I really enjoy this community's helpful guidance and tricks of the trade in all aspects of these sub-forums, and today i finally registered to be apart of this community.

But regarding job and employment. It's ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL.

My first real job was a Shoe Salesman(Al Bundy, Galore, much?) at the age of 24, which i got hired because I'm from a Indian Descent, but I look American, and the company owner were just looking for someone of that stature...... but they still low balled me, I started at 6 dollars under the freaking table.

All for making these Indian Bosses with Turban richer, while cutting up boxes, left and right, and unloading tons of morning UPS packages in the hallways, and going back and fourth in the stock room to the sales floor, and just standing on the floor looking like a damn monkey - All that for 6 measly bucks, and then promoted 2 months later, back to minimum wage "on the books" absolutely pathetic.

The main reason i quit that job 6 months ago because I got Co-workers trying to shove Taco Bell & Beer down my throat, and i already come from a terribly out of shape background, and for me, it's hard to ignore these type of offers/outings. I also had one real clown at work, who would bow down and Kiss lips to the Boss, disrespect co-workers in front of their faces(including mine) always pissed, anger management issues, etc...

yet, when we get out of work, he was the friendliest and most caring person you ever met.

Now I'm up to my whits cause I ****ed around too much in College, and only have just 1 year sales experience in Retail Management as a Sneaker Rep/Sales Gig that had awful pay.

And i sort of regret leaving, but co-workers were, at times, brutal and just hard to deal with, and i was willing for my bank account to stay under $1,000, so i made the decision, but ever since then, I applied to literally thousands of Jobs on Craigslist, Monster, Indeed, Dice, CarreerBuilder, SimplyHired, etc...

... and all the positions I'm getting called in for is Door to Door Sales, some B.S Marketing/Advertising that just pays commison only.

WHERE ARE THE LEGITMATE JOBS, TELL ME. DO I HAVE TO CRAWL TO AREA-51 or something ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:33 PM

260 posts, read 605,424 times
Finding full-time employment is impossible unless you're perfect in every way. Finding ****ty temp jobs that average 15 hours per week is a cinch.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:40 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Usually finding a job comes down to shoe leather, use it.

Looking for jobs on a computer will tell you some of the story, but there are thousands of other people doing the same thing and applying for the same jobs.

Make yourself up a good resume that is SPELL CHECKED and written with proper syntax and style.
Look in your area at businesses that utilize your skillset.

Walk in the door and speak to a manager. Introduce yourself, talk to them. If you make a good impression they may tell you of openings or point you where to apply.

If you are looking for a job to move to, good luck. Unless you want to work the oilfields in North Dakota there are not the huge industry openings that would warrent someone hiring someone in retail sales unless you have very good qualifications and a good work history.

Even then, it can be tough.

Face to face has always been my best way to meet the folks that do the hiring and get my foot in the door.

Good Luck.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM

92 posts, read 117,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
Finding full-time employment is impossible unless you're perfect in every way. Finding ****ty temp jobs that average 15 hours per week is a cinch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Usually finding a job comes down to shoe leather, use it.

Looking for jobs on a computer will tell you some of the story, but there are thousands of other people doing the same thing and applying for the same jobs.

Make yourself up a good resume that is SPELL CHECKED and written with proper syntax and style.
Look in your area at businesses that utilize your skillset.

Walk in the door and speak to a manager. Introduce yourself, talk to them. If you make a good impression they may tell you of openings or point you where to apply.

If you are looking for a job to move to, good luck. Unless you want to work the oilfields in North Dakota there are not the huge industry openings that would warrent someone hiring someone in retail sales unless you have very good qualifications and a good work history.

Even then, it can be tough.

Face to face has always been my best way to meet the folks that do the hiring and get my foot in the door.

Good Luck.
I understand the prospective you guys are coming from, but it's not that simple.

I even have my fair share of Networks, and still, absolutely ZILCH, NADA, SQUAT.

I went to Indian Employment agencies that my mother has a friend who recommended her - Guy found me one amazing opportunity for $90,000, but i needed a crap ton of experience for that position.

I networked with people from Workforce1 - they didn't do jack squat for me, only Dispatching/Customer Service jobs, that paid $9 to $10 an hour, and some Shuffle Cab services, but you're most likely not getting in, wanna know why? Cause there's already hundreds of people more qualified than you - that are coming to that meeting/presentation

I Network all over. Even my mom's friend who use to work in a Security Guard position told me the places to go, but it never worked out in the long run, despite the fact that i had an excellent reference- due to job flexibility/other b.s excuses.

C'mon, spare me the networking and Resume theories. Everyone is a DAMN FREAKING ROBOT, in this day of age. TO BECOME LIKE THEM, YOU HAVE TO ACT LIKE ONE. Which I simply refuse to do.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:55 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaUZE_BOSS View Post
I understand the prospective you guys are coming from, but it's not that simple.

I even have my fair share of Networks, and still, absolutely ZILCH, NADA, SQUAT.

I went to Indian Employment agencies that my mother has a friend who recommended her - Guy found me one amazing opportunity for $90,000, but i needed a crap ton of experience for that position.

I networked with people from Workforce1 - they didn't do jack squat for me, only Dispatching/Customer Service jobs, that paid $9 to $10 an hour, and some Shuffle Cab services, but you're most likely not getting in, wanna know why? Cause there's already hundreds of people more qualified than you - that are coming to that meeting/presentation

I Network all over. Even my mom's friend who use to work in a Security Guard position told me the places to go, but it never worked out in the long run, despite the fact that i had an excellent reference- due to job flexibility/other b.s excuses.

C'mon, spare me the networking and Resume theories. Everyone is a DAMN FREAKING ROBOT, in this day of age. TO BECOME LIKE THEM, YOU HAVE TO ACT LIKE ONE. Which I simply refuse to do.
None of this makes sense.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,954 times
Quote:

WHERE ARE THE LEGITMATE JOBS, TELL ME. DO I HAVE TO CRAWL TO AREA-51 or something ???
Well, I know there's an opening in Roswell, NM for a state child support enforcement attorney. So, if you had a law degree, Area 51 might be the way to go.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Aside from Indian Employment Agencies () and "networking" with mommy's friends, how else are you exposing yourself to where the opportunities are?

Are you using Indeed.com? Are you using LinkedIn? What is it you really want to do, and can you get some college credit and internships behind you to start a pathway?

Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
I think that you have identified your problem.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
NETWORK!

It doesn't work overnight, but its the best investment you will ever make.

My dh got his first big job out of college from a friend of a friend, then moved up via a motorcycle group who knew someone in a gun club, now through his alumni association.

My dd got her first job via a recommendation from helping out in Sunday School.

I've known people to spend thousands on country clubs, organizations, etc.

Look, just shooting off a cookie-cutter resume to "thousands" at Monster, Indeed, etc, does nothing more than convince UE you're "actively looking for work.

Fix yourself up, lose weight, get your teeth whitened, get a manicure, observe how the "successful" dress and follow them, look like you're already one of them

Now, you all gotta admit, there's no harm in the above advice

Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Why did you wait until you were 24 to get a job? You don't have any experience, and you're competing with people 24 and up that have up to 8 years of experience. I've had a job steadily since I was 15, starting at $6 like you mentioned. Not everyone starts out at $50k a year at their first job.

Other than that, your attitude may not be helping. You added a curse word and all caps in part of your post. Most employers are looking for a certain level of maturity and dependability. What have you done besides work to show that you have those skills and can you work that into a resume or interview? Have you been a summer camp counselor? Have you tutored anyone? Do you have a resume, or do you just fill out job applications online? There are too many questions left unanswered to help you, but I will tell you it's very possible to find a job. I have a great job, but I've still interviewed for other jobs over the past few years and turned a few offers down that didn't offer what I wanted to make a move. Maybe you are setting your standards too high. You have to sell yourself and show your strengths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search