Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,759,512 times

Advertisements

There is proper interview etiquette, what to say...what not to say, etc. Learning these things will come with time. I started out as a horrible interviewee, I was overly confident and spoke or asked too many questions at the wrong time (like what the salary was, benefits were before they even wanted to hire me, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,008,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think a lot of it is attitude, based on valuing yourself and your skills. Too many people go into interviews with the mindset that the company will be doing them a favor by hiring them, when the opposite should be true. If you know you are the best person for the job because you are awesome, it comes across.

If you don't feel confident about what you can bring to the table, maybe you are at the wrong table.
^This!

Gotta spread more reps around...

Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,694,890 times
The best interview I ever had was the time I went to an interview under the assumption that they were just interviewing me because they had to. I wasn't nervous at all and the interview went well. The next day, they offered me the job.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 PM

49 posts, read 174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
I know a friend who recently graduated from a mid rank university and already bagged a high paying consultancy job despite his lack of work experience and little preparation. Apparently he managed to wow the interviewers so much that they were literally begging him to accept!

Compared to whenever I give interviews, I prepare my ass off for several hours and days, but still hardly get any responses or even an indication that they "like me" from the interviewer and it always just ends up as a standard one sided interview where I'm getting asked questions that they expect me to have prepared and they just tick some boxes..

So how do some people just naturally do amazingly well at interviews with little or no preparation at all that the company literally BEGS them to accept an offer? Are they literally born with this unique ability that just their presence automatically qualifies them to be hired?
Sorry to be direct, but is it possible that your friend's simply better at that job than you at yours?

Just because someone graduated from a "mid rank" university, or lacks work experience, doesn't mean they are automatically weak.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:12 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,378,794 times
Natural born salespeople. I hate them. I'm not one of them. If I'm not prepared I will blow it in the form of breaking out in a cold and profuse sweat. So stick to what you know. Or be a good liar, which I'm not.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 AM

22,544 posts, read 12,082,374 times
I have to ask this --- is your friend good looking? Studies have shown that good looking people tend to get hired far quicker than ordinary looking people.

These studies went like this --- they would get 2 people of the same sex but one was good looking while the other one was plain-looking. Both people would be dressed in identical outfits, they were given the same resume and coached on how to answer interview questions. In every case, the good looking person got hired over the plain one. In some cases, the good looking person was even offered a bigger salary.

One show that did such a study (I believe it was 20/20) some years back even had reporters go ask the interviewer just why they didn't hire the plain-looking person. Most hemmed and hawed but one interviewer who had told the plain-looking person that they weren't hiring and just about rushed him out the door but hired the good-looking one on the spot. This interviewer (the job was a stockbroker) said that the good-looking one looked like a stockbroker!

Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,542,167 times
I have always loved interviewing. Too me, it's just pretending to be who you think they want you to be. I do a little background research on the job description, duties, company vision and the rest is connecting with the interviewers. For me, it's all about pretending to be excited about the work and conveying a sense of confidence and likability. I then proceed to panic when the job is offered since I know the person they interviewed doesn't really exist LOL. But honestly, I think connecting on a personal level is the key. If they like you, they will offer you the job. If you come across too uptight, too serious, guarded or unenthusiastic, they are thinking, "Is this someone I want to deal with on a daily basis?"

Old 03-14-2014, 05:09 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,853,363 times
They're sociopaths.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:00 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,080,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I have always loved interviewing. "

Me too. . I mean, they're just fun. The thinking, the interaction, the back and forth trying to say what you want to get out about yourself but also phrasing it in a way that tells them what they're hoping to hear. I'm not explaining it well.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM

552 posts, read 836,080 times
Make sure the interview is a conversation. Far too often people think interviews are like being questioned in a police department.

Something i always tell people make it a conversation, not a lecture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search