Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 PM

240 posts, read 423,196 times

Advertisements

I am currently unemployed due to a layoff. I finally landed an interview after several months. This will be my first interview for a new employer in over 15 years and I'm really stressed about it. Would anyone happen to have any pointers or advice about interviewing. Any questions I should ask? Any advice on staying relaxed. I'm concerned that my nerves will be my downfall. I know it seems silly but any constructive advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,893 times
Be prepared to answer the stupid unfair questions: "What do you consider your negative traits?" "Describe a time went unexpectedly during a project, and what would you have done differently?"

Old 04-02-2014, 09:02 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,771,264 times
Be prepared, research the company, and be personable. Try not to seem too nervous.

Good luck.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Relax. You're in command. They aren't interviewing you... You are interviewing them! The key to your success is repeating that in your mind during the interview. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I had a business for 16 years, and when I went back to try and get a job in 2008, it had been longer than that since I'd been interviewed. I did it and so can you. I ended up being interviewed at two places without being selected, then got the job on the 3rd.

Have been there 5 years now with two promotions and as a manager now I do some interviewing.

It's very improtant to research the company ahead of time, know what they do, and be prepared to mention some of the good things you have heard about them. When asked if you have any questions at the end, find something to ask that demonstrates your knowledge of their operation.

Make it clear that you want to work for them, not just that you are looking for a job.

Try to make good eye contact and even if you are nervous remain calm and think before you answer. Ask them to repeat the question if you are unclear on what they asked.

Anticipate that they will create situations and ask you how you would handle it, or to give examples of a situation where you handled it in a past job. Try to come up with some ahead of time and be prepared, if you make something up good interviewers can tell and will do follow-up questions and get you confused.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Be prepared to answer the stupid unfair questions: "What do you consider your negative traits?" "Describe a time went unexpectedly during a project, and what would you have done differently?"
Oh goodness. So basically questions that put you on the spot. I would say two of my negative traits would be that I tend to be a bit too analytical and sometimes too competive. Would that be a decent response or would that response get me shown the door?? I know it's kind of late to be asking these questions. My interview is tomorrow afternoon.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Be prepared, research the company, and be personable. Try not to seem too nervous.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Relax. You're in command. They aren't interviewing you... You are interviewing them! The key to your success is repeating that in your mind during the interview. Good luck.
Thanks for the confidence booster and advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I had a business for 16 years, and when I went back to try and get a job in 2008, it had been longer than that since I'd been interviewed. I did it and so can you. I ended up being interviewed at two places without being selected, then got the job on the 3rd.

Have been there 5 years now with two promotions and as a manager now I do some interviewing.

It's very improtant to research the company ahead of time, know what they do, and be prepared to mention some of the good things you have heard about them. When asked if you have any questions at the end, find something to ask that demonstrates your knowledge of their operation.

Make it clear that you want to work for them, not just that you are looking for a job.

Try to make good eye contact and even if you are nervous remain calm and think before you answer. Ask them to repeat the question if you are unclear on what they asked.

Anticipate that they will create situations and ask you how you would handle it, or to give examples of a situation where you handled it in a past job. Try to come up with some ahead of time and be prepared, if you make something up good interviewers can tell and will do follow-up questions and get you confused.

Good luck!
Awesome, this is really helpful! I will definitely prepare and use this advice during my interview! Thanks so much.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:03 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
Does not matter how well you answer their questions, they are gauging your personality. If you are nervous this will not be good. You have to sell yourself to them, and the way you do this is to be open and yourself. If nerves get in your way it will be very difficult. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Does not matter how well you answer their questions, they are gauging your personality. If you are nervous this will not be good. You have to sell yourself to them, and the way you do this is to be open and yourself. If nerves get in your way it will be very difficult. Good luck.
Thank you!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,005 times
Easy on the caffeine before the interview.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search