Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah7 View Post

This doesn't make sense. If they told you to jump from a 2nd floor because it is not a big deal, would you do that? Would a bigger thing for you be jumping out of 10th floor? To me, it can actually mean that the candidate is trying to use his brain that he was given from mother nature.
This is interesting response, its like my parents telling me if my friends jump off a bridge would you? If the candidate "used their brain" and denied the background, they don't get the job and that's a risk they would take. Doesn't seem like there is much use in there brain with that decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:51 PM

416 posts, read 871,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah7 View Post
C'mon guys!

am I in the minority of people who believe that people should have some privacy? Where is the limit?
Yes. Yes you are.

As a hiring manager for one of the largest commercial banks on the planet, I've seen people refuse to submit to a background check.

Guess what... we immediately rescinded the offer. You don't want to submit to our terms, no problem. We have plenty of other candidates willing to have a background check done and never bat an eye.

I am generally very suspicious of people who don't want to have a background check, and I sure as hell wouldn't want them working for me.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:53 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If the company is public, you can check a variety of public disclosures including SEC filings.
I guess I should be more clear. I am not talking about the company but its employees. Shouldn't I be able to run a credit, background, or whatever on my new potential boss?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
No has that means you aren't considered for any good job; plain and simple. In this age of liabilty for employees actions its too risky.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:19 PM

531 posts, read 1,177,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I guess I should be more clear. I am not talking about the company but its employees. Shouldn't I be able to run a credit, background, or whatever on my new potential boss?
Your potential employer is the one who is going to pay you salary and bear the monetary/reputation...risks in case the employee committed crimes/fraud @ work.

If you want to run a credit background check on your potential employer, you can try D & B (Dun Bradstreet). Many Companies run D & B if they want to extent credit to their corporate customers. It is not free and you can easily research the potential employers online to find out their backgrounds

Last edited by MrsBunny; 04-13-2014 at 08:36 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 PM

157 posts, read 370,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
But that doesn't make sense. The employer is hiring you, not the employees.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:50 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Checking previous employers, criminal history, and references to some extent is reasonable. Checking credit, driving record, demanding personal passwords is crossing the line of prudence to employer stalking and unfortunately this is why there increasing regulation placed out on businesses regarding hiring. Companies use their leverage to abuse workers well workers use their vote and voice in the govt to stick it right back to them. A shame people just can't just behave civilly.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:06 PM

531 posts, read 1,177,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Checking previous employers, criminal history, and references to some extent is reasonable. Checking credit, driving record, demanding personal passwords is crossing the line of prudence to employer stalking and unfortunately this is why there increasing regulation placed out on businesses regarding hiring. Companies use their leverage to abuse workers well workers use their vote and voice in the govt to stick it right back to them. A shame people just can't just behave civilly.
Check credit and driving records might be reasonable depend on your job. If you are in Accounting/Finance field and/or has access to funds, it it understandable that employers expect credit worthy employees to handle these job functions. If the jobs required driving, employer bears the risk and will ask for driving record.

Demanding personal passwords is crossing the line for sure I haven't encountered these employers before and will not work for one if they ask for my facebook or personal email's password.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
sure you can, that is the last move before the interview is concluded and you are shown the door.
only one reason someone does not want a background check.
jail time.
btw 19% of americans are felons.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:37 PM

105 posts, read 172,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
only one reason someone does not want a background check.
jail time....
That is so NOT correct.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not big fan of background checks but I do agree with criminal background checks, because they are relevant to any employer. "We are not having criminals in our office." That makes perfect sense to anyone.

But still even those criminal checks are not at all pleasant to people like me who are in their late 30s, were never arrested or convicted, not even caught for speeding nor had to pay a single parking ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search