Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:58 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Again, I will re-iterate: You should only ask what the pay range is, not how much they will pay you specifically. The company has a budget on how much they would like to pay.

I have been burned by wasting time interviewing/vacation time for positions that would pay me my current salary at best and offered no potential to move around the company. Not only did I waste my own time, I wasted the time of the employer. This could have been avoided if they were up front with what they were willing to pay - I would have declined the interview.
O, I agree with u.
I only want to know the range. I'm not asking specifics here. I'm just trying to get an idea here so I can make a decision to pursue this further.

Obviously, if the range is $46k - $50k I will not pursue this further, however if the range is like $57k to $62k I would than entertain it a lot more seriously.

So I wrote a very professionally written email asking the interviewer what te salary range was. I also explained why I was asking her as to provide her some reasoning or context as to why I wanted to know. I wanted the tone of my email to be friendly, yet concerned about her time and mine. I didnt wanna come off as demanding or "all about the money".... I just wanted her to understand where I'm coming from.

*fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 PM

459 posts, read 620,151 times
You like the sound of this job, but you do not NEED it, therefore you can ask any questions of them you want.
In this instance, you are in the driving seat.
They sound like wallies to me.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:18 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
O, I agree with u.
I only want to know the range. I'm not asking specifics here. I'm just trying to get an idea here so I can make a decision to pursue this further.

Obviously, if the range is $46k - $50k I will not pursue this further, however if the range is like $57k to $62k I would than entertain it a lot more seriously.

So I wrote a very professionally written email asking the interviewer what te salary range was. I also explained why I was asking her as to provide her some reasoning or context as to why I wanted to know. I wanted the tone of my email to be friendly, yet concerned about her time and mine. I didnt wanna come off as demanding or "all about the money".... I just wanted her to understand where I'm coming from.

*fingers crossed.
What do you plan on doing if you get a satisfactory answer? Do you plan on giving references from your current job? That is a big risk.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Before the employer is willing to discuss these factors in employment the need to know if they consider you as a potential employee, before they are ready to discuss these factors, and are ready to negotiate your salary, etc. They need to know what you are worth to them, before they can even decide these types of factors.
Wrong.

Employers know the range of what they're willing to pay for a certain position. Of course, there's always some give and take should negotiations with a candidate commence, but they know.

The interview process is always a two-way street, even in an "employer's market".

Old 04-23-2014, 10:40 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wrong.

Employers know the range of what they're willing to pay for a certain position. Of course, there's always some give and take should negotiations with a candidate commence, but they know.

The interview process is always a two-way street, even in an "employer's market".

You are correct..

For example, if a company tells me they are willing to pay between $80K-$100K and I make $70K, all else being equal, I would be willing to proceed with the interviews. Even in the worst case scenario, it would be a $10K raise and it is up to me to show them what I can do to warrant the high end of the range.

Now, if I was making $70K and their max budget was $60K, I would not take the interview, all else being equal, because they can't even match my current salary. What would be the point of changing jobs, unless there was something so bad about the current one? It's just wasting everyone's time and would reflect poorly on me because I would never take the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search