Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 AM

7,922 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
What will make or break the hiring manager's decision is the experience and accomplishments, not a graduation year.

I never graduated college, so I exclude education completely. When I sent out 15 resumes less than a year ago, I got 9 call backs. Most of these companies were Fortune 100. The salaries were for $80-95k at corporate offices.

The missing graduation year did not stop them from calling me. Every phone screen focused on work experience. There was not one person that asked about the missing graduation year or education.
Perhaps but did you get the job? Fortune 100 doesn't mean much because well companies aren't really cool anymore in a post bailout world. Can't say they can do it themselves and do not need government and then watched CEO's of America **** their pants going broke.

You also have to keep in mind that experience often times might only be relevant to themselves.
Tech wanted a no poaching pact to keep labor costs down.

No-Poaching Pacts Broke With Silicon Valley Culture - IEEE Spectrum

It's well known that startups in Silicon Valley are people from other companies. Blocking this development leads to lower wages, higher unemployment, lower r&d etc.

Besides eventually an organization wants to see some training just to show compliance. It might not be a degree but how many CEU's do have you have in past 5-10 years etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:09 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrob12 View Post
If you graduated 15 or more yrs ago, leave it off. Highlight your experience and what you have to offer. List your schools and credentials but the year they were earned is really needless trivia?.
This is a good general rule of thumb about whether or not to list graduating dates on your resume.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Perhaps but did you get the job? Fortune 100 doesn't mean much because well companies aren't really cool anymore in a post bailout world. Can't say they can do it themselves and do not need government and then watched CEO's of America **** their pants going broke.

You also have to keep in mind that experience often times might only be relevant to themselves.
Tech wanted a no poaching pact to keep labor costs down.

No-Poaching Pacts Broke With Silicon Valley Culture - IEEE Spectrum

It's well known that startups in Silicon Valley are people from other companies. Blocking this development leads to lower wages, higher unemployment, lower r&d etc.

Besides eventually an organization wants to see some training just to show compliance. It might not be a degree but how many CEU's do have you have in past 5-10 years etc.
I accepted a job for nearly $90k. It could be over $90k with annual bonuses, but that's not guaranteed. I had call backs from smaller companies also.

Fortune 100 companies was to show the largest employers won't ding candidates for missing graduation year.

The OP is focusing on a small scratch in a car wreck, when the entire body work needs to be repaired. It's a detail to consider, but there are bigger items out there to worry about.

There is lots of opportunity for improvement in a resume, but it's not on deciding to add or remove the graduation year.

If he believes that employers didn't hire him for a missing graduation year, then good for him. He still wouldn't have been hired, if he put it on the resume. It's the wrong focus.

Last edited by move4ward; 05-10-2014 at 07:47 AM..

Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 AM

125 posts, read 495,864 times
Would you hide these graduate years? I got my bachelor in 1999 and masters in 2011 and I'm pushing 40. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venicebeachcalifornia View Post
Would you hide these graduate years? I got my bachelor in 1999 and masters in 2011 and I'm pushing 40. Thanks!
No, do not hide it. Any potential employer that scrutinizes why you got your degree in your late 30s, rather than your actual degree is not worth your time.

Good Luck.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:47 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
Did any employer ask you the year missing during interview ?
I don't put my graduation year and I never had an interviewer ask about. Not once.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:45 PM

149 posts, read 310,693 times
what if my

1. a certificate relevant to job 2013
2. a certificate relevant to job 2007

both were not formal education

3. formal post-secondary diploma 1999
4. formal post-secondary diploma 1994

Old 05-12-2014, 02:38 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
what if my

1. a certificate relevant to job 2013
2. a certificate relevant to job 2007

both were not formal education

3. formal post-secondary diploma 1999
4. formal post-secondary diploma 1994
I wouldn't date any of them in this scenerio. Certifications often have software names/software version numbers as part of the Certification Name so they can tell how recent the certification is from this if it matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search