Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:54 AM

469 posts, read 638,116 times

Advertisements

I found this on the internet and I wanted to share with you guys:

As many of you know, when submitting your job application online, there are a lot of companies that use software that matches your resume with keywords in the job description (written by the company's HR department or the hiring manager) to determine if the resume either goes into a black hole where no one ever sees it, or if it's actually forwarded for a human being to review.

Taleo, for example, is the system that's encounter most often.

Well, someone I know who works in HR at a Fortune 100 company provided this advice.

When attaching your resume to these online applications, be sure to copy the ENTIRE job description in the posting, paste it onto your resume, and then change the font color of the job description to white.

This way, the software will be able to pick up those keywords in your resume (especially if your resume and qualifications don't match the job description verbatim) so your resume is forwarded to a human being for review and it's not automatically dumped into that black hole where no one sees it by the software.

However, since the font color is white, the text of the job description you pasted into your resume won't actually be seen by the person reviewing it, or if someone were to print the resume.

Just a small tip I wanted to pass along, in case it helps anyone out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,696,411 times
Thanks for this, I totally forgot about it. Do you recommend that we paste the qualifications as well?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
First, it's not the job description you should be focused on - it's the qualifications.

Secondly, the first person to see the resume would more than likely notice the entire thing was copied and pasted, and that's when most would eliminate the candidate. Besides, it's rare that the skills of the applicant completely match up with the qualifications.

Lift specific phrases from the qualifications and integrate them into your resume, but do not copy and paste the entire thing.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 AM

803 posts, read 1,670,156 times
This is dumb advice, and besides, do you really want to work for a company managed by dumb/oblivious people?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:35 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,558,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Just a small tip I wanted to pass along, in case it helps anyone out
It's amazing that people don't realize this.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,749,071 times
I'm not going to argue in favor or not of this, but here is my experience. I do not do as you have suggested. I do receive calls from recruiters saying "we have a job for you", then they start to explain the role and that's when I have to stop them and say that isn't my background at all or I only meet a few of those qualifications. These last two days alone I've had two recruiters call and both of them had jobs that lined up only slightly, except I did not have 8+ years experience in X or experience in Y. On both occasions I had to ask if they actually read my resume, and emailed it to them. Then they replied with, "well, I was searching for keywords and...".

If you lie your way into a job it will never turn out good, in fact, it could be a huge professional downfall.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,811,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm not going to argue in favor or not of this, but here is my experience. I do not do as you have suggested. I do receive calls from recruiters saying "we have a job for you", then they start to explain the role and that's when I have to stop them and say that isn't my background at all or I only meet a few of those qualifications. These last two days alone I've had two recruiters call and both of them had jobs that lined up only slightly, except I did not have 8+ years experience in X or experience in Y. On both occasions I had to ask if they actually read my resume, and emailed it to them. Then they replied with, "well, I was searching for keywords and...".

If you lie your way into a job it will never turn out good, in fact, it could be a huge professional downfall.
Same thing happens to me. Recruiters contact me for jobs, and it is obvious that these recruiters are essentially spamming everybody who has the keywords in their resumes totally ignoring the context. Some of the times, Gmail will even flag the emails as spam.

I know better than to waste my time.

This type of underhanded trickery won't get you very far.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:24 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
I don't believe the op was suggesting people lie about their qualifications. The point was to try to find a way to work with software systems that look for keywords in order to push a resume through.

That isn't the right way, but I don't see lying as being part of the equation.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:04 PM

469 posts, read 638,116 times
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Every successful person has figured out a way to navigate the system to beat the odds against them.

You don't really think everyone in management got there or stays there because of their skills and honorable intentions do you?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:05 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,811,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Every successful person has figured out a way to navigate the system to beat the odds against them.

You don't really think everyone in management got there or stays there because of their skills and honorable intentions do you?
You can try it. No one is stopping you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search