Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,320,280 times

Advertisements

Post up a nice picture of yourself smoking a reefer and tell the person doing the hiring that they need to 'get with the times' ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,526,322 times
I purposely don't have any social media accounts. Not even LinkedIn. I get a 50% call/contact rate when I submit my resume for an open position. However, my specialty is in-demand.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM

228 posts, read 422,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Post up a nice picture of yourself smoking a reefer and tell the person doing the hiring that they need to 'get with the times' ..
Yeah, maybe that will convince employers that I really am getting into game development

Old 06-15-2014, 11:30 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,472,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riotsquirrelz View Post
I have over 10 years of experience as an admin, mostly in higher education. We just recently moved to the Bay Area in California (from Seattle), and I have only had two interviews in six months.

I guess I should say I know my "stuff." I use most of the MS Office Suite programs, including Access (I have created my own databases and managed them myself). I'm also currently taking various programming courses for website management and, oddly enough, game development (for funsies!). I'm definitely tech-savvy, is what I'm trying to get at.

Sure, I know the economy is still in the toilet (and there is a lot of hate around here for Seattle), but I started wondering if I am being ignored because I don't use Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. I did have a Facebook page in college (when it was college students only), but I got rid of it after Facebook went public and there were multiple hacking attempts on my account.

Basically, I value my privacy and I stay in touch with the people that matter to me through phone or email. I don't have anything to hide, but I wonder if potential employers think that?

What do you think? Should I at least complete a LinkedIn account?
There's nothing wrong with LinkedIn. Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus; unless you're making money, or truly using it to market yourself and what you have to offer I would not waste my time on those sites. A lot of people ruin their reputation on social media before they ever get through the front door.

I'm a bit old fashioned in that if you are going to put yourself out there for the world to see at least get something out of it more than just a few "friends" that you'll never meet.

If they really want you they'll learn about you in the initial interview process. I doubt that social media is a deal breaker, in terms of "we don't want to hire this person because they do not have a presence on social media, what are they trying to hide or don't want us to know". If you were an idiot last night, what happened in Vegas, does not stay in Vegas, and that the issue that I believe that social media has caused a lot of individuals.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:22 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,633,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
There's nothing wrong with LinkedIn. Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus; unless you're making money, or truly using it to market yourself and what you have to offer I would not waste my time on those sites. A lot of people ruin their reputation on social media before they ever get through the front door.

I'm a bit old fashioned in that if you are going to put yourself out there for the world to see at least get something out of it more than just a few "friends" that you'll never meet.

If they really want you they'll learn about you in the initial interview process. I doubt that social media is a deal breaker, in terms of "we don't want to hire this person because they do not have a presence on social media, what are they trying to hide or don't want us to know". If you were an idiot last night, what happened in Vegas, does not stay in Vegas, and that the issue that I believe that social media has caused a lot of individuals.

I deactivated my Facebook and deleted my LinkedIn. I have Google+, a blog and portfolios online... so hoping that it won't be a big deal.Trying to relocate as well.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,153,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
If they really want you they'll learn about you in the initial interview process. I doubt that social media is a deal breaker, in terms of "we don't want to hire this person because they do not have a presence on social media, what are they trying to hide or don't want us to know".
This blanket statement is really poor advice. Some employers nowadays consider social media an important channel for communicating with their customers. If you're not using it, you're effectively ruling yourself out of some jobs that involve communicating with the world outside of the employer.

Many replies seem not to be taking into account that the OP is applying for admin-type jobs. Particularly at small employers, those jobs often require the use of social tools. For admins, it's becoming as important to be adept at social media as it used to be to have "telephone skills."

Old 06-15-2014, 01:44 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,751,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This blanket statement is really poor advice. Some employers nowadays consider social media an important channel for communicating with their customers. If you're not using it, you're effectively ruling yourself out of some jobs that involve communicating with the world outside of the employer.

Many replies seem not to be taking into account that the OP is applying for admin-type jobs. Particularly at small employers, those jobs often require the use of social tools. For admins, it's becoming as important to be adept at social media as it used to be to have "telephone skills."
Most companies I have worked with are against the use of social media for business practices. It will depend on the industry. I don't view his opinion as bad advice, it's just a different perspective.

There are many ways to communicate today, social media isn't even in the top 3 as far as business practices are concerned.

1. Face to face meetings
2. Video conference
3. Teleconference

Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 PM

5,257 posts, read 3,623,104 times
Social media is the defacto communication tool for people under 40, businesses are doing all they can to harness it's power for their own ends. I say this as an oldie who has only opened a Linkedin account in the last year or so but I can see all the attention it's receiving at the firm I worked at. I would also recommend opening a Twitter account & following some people active in your field, couldn't hurt...

Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM

228 posts, read 422,263 times
Quote:

I believe (or believed) that my advanced experience with technology shows that I could easily use social media sites if necessary. I mean, I can create and maintain my own freakin' Access database and I'm currently learning a few programming languages. Social media sites are child's play in comparison. Why do I have to engage in using social media in my private life to prove that I can do it? Why can't employers make that connection? Sorry...end rant/

How about I state in my cover letters that I don't engage in social media myself, but I am highly capable?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:37 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,472,890 times
Quote:

There are plenty of things we could be doing, or have the aptitude to do, but aren't doing on a daily basis.

I mentioned LinkedIn, which is a professional platform. Social media lends itself to social games. If the OP can demonstrate effectiveness and proficiency in developing, marketing, and promoting a band, church, organization, idea or a company on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus, then he should invest time and energy into the endeavor.

But if he is treating social media with the narcissistic and sociopathic disregard most people have for their own profiles, then he is setting himself up for failure. The OP is indifferent about social media at the moment, so it would not be the extracurricular activity to talk about on an interview, or something for employers to use against him in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search