Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 11:50 AM

228 posts, read 421,793 times

Advertisements

I have over 10 years of experience as an admin, mostly in higher education. We just recently moved to the Bay Area in California (from Seattle), and I have only had two interviews in six months.

I guess I should say I know my "stuff." I use most of the MS Office Suite programs, including Access (I have created my own databases and managed them myself). I'm also currently taking various programming courses for website management and, oddly enough, game development (for funsies!). I'm definitely tech-savvy, is what I'm trying to get at.

Sure, I know the economy is still in the toilet (and there is a lot of hate around here for Seattle), but I started wondering if I am being ignored because I don't use Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. I did have a Facebook page in college (when it was college students only), but I got rid of it after Facebook went public and there were multiple hacking attempts on my account.

Basically, I value my privacy and I stay in touch with the people that matter to me through phone or email. I don't have anything to hide, but I wonder if potential employers think that?

What do you think? Should I at least complete a LinkedIn account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 12:07 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Yes, especially if you've ever applied for work with Zappos...

Old 06-14-2014, 12:20 PM

67 posts, read 72,053 times
Most likely.

It's an employer's market, and they'll bin your application for any petty BS reason they want.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:32 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
I'll go against the grain and say no.

In today's market I find that sometimes it's just difficult to find a posting/opening with your background. Would it hurt to have a professional profile? No, not at all. Do you absolutely need one? No.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:50 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,676 times
Get a LinkedIn account. Don't worry about the other sites.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
I find it a negative if candidates who apply for tech jobs don't even have a presence on the most basic social media sites.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Not having any social media presence might cause an employer to view you as out of touch with modern tools. That's a bad way to be viewed if you're one of the older candidates in a pool. Admin work nowadays can include posting things on social media. I agree with the above recommendation to use LinkedIn, just to help you avoid being pigeonholed.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:09 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,098,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I find it a negative if candidates who apply for tech jobs don't even have a presence on the most basic social media sites.
Wouldn't their reasoning be interesting...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Not having any social media presence might cause an employer to view you as out of touch with modern tools. That's a bad way to be viewed if you're one of the older candidates in a pool. Admin work nowadays can include posting things on social media. I agree with the above recommendation to use LinkedIn, just to help you avoid being pigeonholed.
I agree... but I guess I challenge the 'norm' for people my age (between 18 & 30) by not having a smartphone or social media.

I don't need a smartphone because I have a computer, and I don't need social media because I have a phone. Two topics I lecture on at university include... dun dun dun.... smartphones & social media. But I'll save the spiel

Old 06-14-2014, 07:12 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
I don't need a smartphone because I have a computer, and I don't need social media because I have a phone. Two topics I lecture on at university include... dun dun dun.... smartphones & social media. But I'll save the spiel

Eh...I used to go without a smart phone but frankly I like getting emails on the go and being able to send and receive accurate photos tagged with gps. There's simply more applications with smart phones and with more employers having a bring your own device policy I pretty much bit the bullet and bought on.

As for a phone not everyone likes talking on a phone and some matters can better be expressed in writing. (not all just some)

Old 06-14-2014, 10:23 PM

228 posts, read 421,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Darn. I am one of the *ahem* "older" candidates.

Okay, I will break down and at least do the LinkedIn account.

Thanks for convincing me, everybody! (There was no way I was going to convince myself )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search