Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 08:09 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'll add to the list of why people not only didn't get the job, but weren't even considered. If the cover letter is poorly written or the resume is poorly written or too long (exceeding three pages), it is likely you won't be considered for the position at all.

As for the interviewing process, if you speak in a monotone or lack energy and enthusiasm, if you don't smile while speaking or greeting people, you probably won't be getting the job.

There are many times I know a person and know they're qualified, but their cover letter and resume doesn't show that.

If the candidate comes in via networking often that is overlooked, because we know something about the person.

But if it is a from "the wild candidate", they don't get an interview with an application like that. They very well may be completely qualified, but if they haven't shown it with their resume/cover letter, how would we know?

I see that from people ALL the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 12:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
I'll add to the list of why people not only didn't get the job, but weren't even considered. If the cover letter is poorly written or the resume is poorly written or too long (exceeding three pages), it is likely you won't be considered for the position at all.

As for the interviewing process, if you speak in a monotone or lack energy and enthusiasm, if you don't smile while speaking or greeting people, you probably won't be getting the job.
I think too long is a moot point that is poorly written and here's why, it depends on the industry. A longer resume works for government work, educational institutions will prefer curriculum varieties (CVs) and others may want more in depth resumes. Most industries have prefered resumes and then there are specific HR people who prefer say functional resumes to the chronological resumes and trash others.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There are many times I know a person and know they're qualified, but their cover letter and resume doesn't show that.

If the candidate comes in via networking often that is overlooked, because we know something about the person.

But if it is a from "the wild candidate", they don't get an interview with an application like that. They very well may be completely qualified, but if they haven't shown it with their resume/cover letter, how would we know?

I see that from people ALL the time...

We just had another applicant miss out on getting the job earlier this morning because in speaking with her we caught that she uses the word "anyways" instead of "anyway".

Another thing I sometimes see in posts in this forum that I also see on resumes, is people don't know when to use "a" vs "an". I'll see things like, "I developed an marketing plan" or "I was involved in a internal project".

We don't mind training people for the job but we don't have time to go through English 101.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think too long is a moot point that is poorly written and here's why, it depends on the industry. A longer resume works for government work, educational institutions will prefer curriculum varieties (CVs) and others may want more in depth resumes. Most industries have prefered resumes and then there are specific HR people who prefer say functional resumes to the chronological resumes and trash others.

Yes, you are correct that some industries do rely on longer resumes. In saying 3 pages, I should have noted that is the case for most business resumes.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
They just are handed the job due to being a friend or relative is my point. No impressing needed. And in some cases they are not always the best choice.
What is wrong, if we take care of friends and family, before an unknown person. Are we not to take care of our families to the best of our ability. I have hired family members and close friends in the past several times. I knew what to expect from them, and did not know about strangers.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:12 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
We just had another applicant miss out on getting the job earlier this morning because in speaking with her we caught that she uses the word "anyways" instead of "anyway".
That sounds very... uptight. What was the job for?

Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
That sounds very... uptight. What was the job for?

You may be from a different generation or culture, but it really isn't uptight to expect people to speak properly in a business setting.

I can't put you in front of clients if you sound like you're five. The word is "anyway".

Old 06-27-2014, 01:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I've seen some regional variation in the use of that term (anyway(s)) from my moves, but the lack of proper grammar via the written word is a definite dealbreaker.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've seen some regional variation in the use of that term (anyway(s)) from my moves, but the lack of proper grammar via the written word is a definite dealbreaker.

I'm sure that's true - just as the word "ain't" is more popular in some parts of the country than others, but it's still incorrect grammar no matter how much a region has become accustomed to using it.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:04 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What is wrong, if we take care of friends and family, before an unknown person. Are we not to take care of our families to the best of our ability. I have hired family members and close friends in the past several times. I knew what to expect from them, and did not know about strangers.

What is wrong? Those people are sometimes not the best choice. Just because they are "known" to you does not mean they are the better choice. Plus, you spoke in an absolute when you said that there is only one reason someone else got the job. There are many reasons, some being unethical, that someone may or may not get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search