Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 AM

331 posts, read 547,819 times

Advertisements

I've received a number of short, honest rejection emails and I actually appreciated them. In essence, they said, "You're not good enough," in 1 or 2 sentences. Contrast that to this email I got after a lengthy and cordial phone interview for position X with company Y:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to visit with me over the phone a few days back. I appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your knowledge, skills and abilities, and to discuss the [X] opening with [Y].

During this recruiting process, a number of individuals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences have also been contacted. Individuals whose knowledge, skills and abilities most closely meet the qualifications for this position have been identified. At this time, we have decided to pursue another candidate for this opening.

Please know that I think you would be a great fit for [Y] and I was impressed by your experience and background. I would love to stay in touch with you moving forward, and please feel free to always use me as a resource moving forward if any other positions of interest open up on our website in the future.

Again, thank you for taking the time to visit with me and for the interest you have expressed in [Y]. I wish you the best of luck in your search for employment opportunities.
For some reason, I find those types of emails to be rather soul-crushing, because I know it's a generic rejection email that is meant to sound individualized.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 AM

346 posts, read 550,895 times
Yes, I prefer "Thanks for coming in. Unfortunately, we decided to go with Candidate Z which we have determined to be a better fit for the position. Good luck with your search." over the generic cut&paste version.

That said, I prefer the generic version over never hearing back from the company after the interview!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
This is another example where a company /person went out of their way to explain why you were not selected, and even offers they can be used as a resource, yet it's received in a negative way. And this is why few companies do anything anymore. Someone always has a beef no matter what is done.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 AM

103 posts, read 185,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is another example where a company /person went out of their way to explain why you were not selected, and even offers they can be used as a resource, yet it's received in a negative way. And this is why few companies do anything anymore. Someone always has a beef no matter what is done.
I agree, no matter how a rejection is worded it wont ever be good enough, at least you know that you are no longer being considered for that position. The only rejection that stands out to me and annoys me was a rejection email where the hr lady cc'd every single person that was rejected and sent the email. Now that irritated me and the worst part was it was a non profit to take care of disabled adults. That was a bad choice that the lady made.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I never take politeness poorly. It is a professional response and is to be respected.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
I hate BS and BSers. Just be straight forward about yourself or how you feel about me and I'm good.

On one hand, I want people to be honest about why they rejected me. While not necessary, it's nice to know why you're where you stand (perhaps it's something you can correct Perhaps there's something wrong with them that you didn't know before?).

On the other hand, I can't stand the silly mind games and placating like in the OP above. Passive-aggressive people are a PITA.

The question is, can one be honest and polite without being a passive-aggressive PITA? This requires tact most people don't have.

Last edited by 313Weather; 06-25-2014 at 12:18 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
313Weather, what is it that you find to be passive-aggressive in the email the op received?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:03 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
313Weather, what is it that you find to be passive-aggressive in the email the op received?
Instead of dragging on about how great my qualifications were and how sorry you were for going with someone else (basically leaving me in the lurch), just tell me why I was rejected or keep the rest of that crap to yourself.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
People are emotional and this should be used to reflect on ones personality, for those of you that are upset by this.

Every time you are rejected why not use it to your advantage? When I first started applying out of school and started to receive rejection emails I would email them back and ask for advice on my resume or anything else and you know what they did? They helped me, for FREE. They took time out of their day at work to phone and/or email me suggestions. Talk about awesome.

For those of you that feel hatred or become emotional over rejection emails you need to learn how to cope with rejection better.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM

331 posts, read 547,819 times
Quote:
This is another example where a company /person went out of their way to explain why you were not selected
Where did she explain why? Nowhere. Everything is vague and generic. I would actually appreciate it if people would say
  • Your skills are lacking in so-and-so areas
  • You're not good-looking enough
  • Your desired salary was too high
  • You stuttered too many times
  • You don't seem smart enough to handle the position

or something like that. Maybe then I could figure out why I can't get the jobs I'm applying for and sometimes getting interviews for.

Quote:
, and even offers they can be used as a resource,
C'mon ... That's not a real offer.

Quote:
yet it's received in a negative way.
The feeling of rejection is a negative feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search