Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:34 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,977,848 times

Advertisements

So I have the odd situation of having two job offers. Both are for the same exact position with different companies. Both are trainee positions within the line of work I've been working in. It is a field position which is what I've been looking to get into. Both companies are very strong, you see their commercials all the time.

Company A
Salary is good, at where I've been making. Training is 2 weeks in Chicago then more hands on with co-workers. The area I'd be covering is about a 45 mile drive from where I'd be living. There would be very little traffic but it is a steep drive up so it would take about an hour. I wouldn't mind that drive, I've done a lot worse. Also, I would have to use my own vehicle for the first year, get paid mileage. Benefits wise, this company is slightly better with insurance and 401k. PTO is great, start off with 16 days then gain one add'l day for each year. So at year 5, I'd have 21 days off. The main office I'd be stationed at is where I would like to work at in the future. Reasonably priced cost of living. The commute would be about 10-15 miles. There are a lot of lifers with this company so promotions will take longer.

Company B
Salary is 10% less. They are firm on it. I was told I would get raises after the first year but it would still be less than company A starting off. Training is 12 weeks. 4 in San Diego. 4 in D.C. Another 4 in San Diego. Classroom setting, testing at the end of each day. If you fail twice, you get fired. They would pay for all the expenses. I would start off within an office. Once I prove myself and get into the field, I would get a company vehicle. Their vehicles are ugly, walking billboards. Benefits are good but company A is better. PTO is 10 days, 15 days after 5 years. PTO is a big deal to me as I love traveling. The main office is in San Diego. I'm in San Diego now, I know how much homes cost here. Promotions are much easier with this company as they are growing faster. It could be possible to become a supervisor within the first 5 years and make 20k more. However, I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable enough being a supervisor that soon...there is a lot to learn with this position.

I am leaning towards company A. Most of my friends say company A. I need to make a decision by the end of tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 12:55 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,302,027 times
Just the way you've written it, it seems you've chosen A as well.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,147,376 times
10% less salary may not seem like much but it will take you years to recoup.
Company A seems like the better position ... learn from the lifers and then you can always go back to Company B later on as a supervisor.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Company A looks like a no brainer.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:48 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,191,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Company A looks like a no brainer.
^^^

I never look at a job for more than 3-4 years. If I end up longer, fine, but each job needs to have a finite goal - learn, earn and move to the next job/role. Do not think of what would happen 5 or more years for now. Grab the job that pays more, has good PTO & benefits, and preps you for the current job and future.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM

217 posts, read 314,498 times
Doesn't really matter. The fact that you have to work for your money is a dud of a deal.

Passive Income!!!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
Doesn't really matter. The fact that you have to work for your money is a dud of a deal.

Passive Income!!!

Passive Intelligence!!!

For those who have brains and like using them, work is very satisfying, believe it or not.

OP, it sounds like A might be a better fit for you.

Since you like to travel, you might also ask if there is any room to negotiate PTO/vacation days. It never hurts to ask.

Congrats on getting two job offers!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,505,104 times
A

Old 08-12-2014, 03:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,886,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Just the way you've written it, it seems you've chosen A as well.
That was going to be my response as well. It seems clear that you favor choice A. Good luck and I hope you have a fantastic time working there!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:57 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,977,848 times
Yea, I went ahead and declined Company B. The real difference for me is the head office location. With where I would want to settle down...its a real crappy drive down to S.D.

It's really nice down here in S.D. but I don't want to work forever so I can pay off my home. The area I'd be covering with both jobs is literally twice as cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search