Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:59 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,868 times

Advertisements

When I was not that experienced, I would also totally clam up during the interview process, I was really nervous and the fact that I still have a slight accent only contributed to losing whatever little confidence I have. Fast forward almost 20 years since college graduation and I am a completely changed person (still have that accent, but several people told me it sounds sexy :-). Right now, I actually enjoy the interview process, because it's a chance for me to talk about my accomplishments, I can't really talk to anyone else about it, even though most of my friends are professionals, and we do talk about work when we meet, it's very much on a surface level, so interview for me is very much an opportunity to brag about myself. My enthusiasm shows, and the response I have been receiving has been only positive. I think it's a matter of how experienced you are, whether you are truly excited about what you do in your current position and the opportunity that lies ahead as well as your personality, by nature, I am a very outgoing, friendly person with tons of friends, but I also have a fear of rejection that causes me to lock up and think "What if they don't like me", so I had to work on losing that fear and not caring about whether they like me or not. Believe it or not, I actually look up to my 15 year old son who does not give a damn what others think about him, he is not influenced by all the bad teenage stuff that goes on, has an amazing sense of humor, is a good (not stellar) but low 90's student, involved in clubs, tons of friends, I was the same around his age when my confidence got shattered by my first boss, the lady who owned a bakery and told me that I would not amount to anything. I should have just answered her back or ignored it, but it was hard not to take it close to heart when my family was so poor back then and I need the job to pay for my college education as grants and loans were not enough. I understand that if one is unemployed, it's hard to have this confidence and not be nervous, but for those who are employed, tell yourself that you don't have to take this job, it's just a chance to speak to someone about your experiences, aspirations, ambitions, and trust me, it works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 11:00 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,972 times
I once had a job offer, but a head hunter convinced me to just talk to another company. I was applying for a Financial Systems Administrator position. They started emphasizing the accounting background they wanted, and while I know alot about accounting, I'm not a CPA or anywhere near that level. At one point I was actually telling them "Look, if you're looking for someone with that background, I'm not the person. I know this system inside and out, and I can talk to you about the most common accounting topics, but I'm not going to be a CPA." I was thinking that I was pretty much telling them I didn't have the skills they wanted and they should just look elsewhere.

Turns out it did the complete opposite. They immediately switched to "Oh no, we're the accountants. You don't need to worry about that. We just need someone who knows the system." My attempt to just kind of end the conversation since I had the other offer already wound up convincing them they wanted me more somehow. I actually wound up taking the job with them.

Sometimes the confidence of not caring becomes your best attribute during an interview. It's human nature for people to want what they can't have.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM

49 posts, read 66,271 times
I agree, in most job interviews I've been in, I try to shift the focus away from strictly "here's what I did, will do, want to do" and introduce a human element. I take mental notes of family photos, nicknacks, etc in the interviewers office. I haven't landed every job on the 1st interview, but I feel like if I can get to know the 'person' and not the manager, I can gain a lot of ground if I'm less experienced at a particular job.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:04 AM

49 posts, read 66,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
I once had a job offer, but a head hunter convinced me to just talk to another company. I was applying for a Financial Systems Administrator position. They started emphasizing the accounting background they wanted, and while I know alot about accounting, I'm not a CPA or anywhere near that level. At one point I was actually telling them "Look, if you're looking for someone with that background, I'm not the person. I know this system inside and out, and I can talk to you about the most common accounting topics, but I'm not going to be a CPA." I was thinking that I was pretty much telling them I didn't have the skills they wanted and they should just look elsewhere.

Turns out it did the complete opposite. They immediately switched to "Oh no, we're the accountants. You don't need to worry about that. We just need someone who knows the system." My attempt to just kind of end the conversation since I had the other offer already wound up convincing them they wanted me more somehow. I actually wound up taking the job with them.

Sometimes the confidence of not caring becomes your best attribute during an interview. It's human nature for people to want what they can't have.

+1..Also, it feels like interviewers can sense that you don't "need" the job, and you come across as even more valuable in a lot of cases.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM

210 posts, read 246,004 times
Hmm...I try to keep the same levels of enthusiasm for each interview I've done. Then again I don't read too much into the details.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:06 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I think I am going to have to disagree. When I am excited about a company, I wear the best outfit in my closet, and put together the latest & greatest portfolio of previous projects I worked on. I am enthusiastic and it shows in my interviews. Why would you want to come across as not caring?

Since I came from pharma advertising and had no experience working for hotels and the hospitality industry in general, one of my interview assignments was to create a Newsletter that would be distributed to one of our boutique hotels' distribution list. I was excited about the project and laid everything out in great detail, worked on the design, and was able to showcase it during our in-person interview. I would think it would be best to be excited (even if you are not...) and show some enthusiasm! Even though I did not have the industry knowledge, they could tell by my excitement and past advertising projects that I would be a good fit for them.

But if that works for you... lol kudos

Not saying I don't care. I'm saying I try to care less. I don't just roll out of bed and waltz in the interview.

My nervousness, more cheery attitude works well with HR people. However, when I get to the 2nd round with managers, they tend to hate it. With my line of work, managers don't want someone who gets nervous easily.

I've read alot of "tips". Copy the body language and tone of the interviewer. That can backfire since they may not be aware of their own body language and find it insulting.

In short, when I try to hard, I end up not being myself.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:13 PM

431 posts, read 599,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Still have a land line, but parents won't let me give it out. Maybe I will anyway and just look for 313 or 586 numbers (looking to relocate to Michigan from PA).
Get a Google Voice number and forward it to the land line. That way you're not giving out the direct phone number and go can always un-forward it later.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I'm trying to relocate and phone interviews are brutal. However, when I have the occasional person interview in the place I'm trying to leave, I do okay. Phone conversations scare me.
My phone interviews highly depend on the other individual. The ladies with the monotone voice who seem to care less and going through the motions, make me feel uncomfortable. I almost get the hint that they will ding me anyway and it wreaks havoc on my confidence during the interview. When I asked questions during my last interview, I asked if her experience at the company has been great. She responded with "yup".

Old 07-10-2014, 06:30 PM

166 posts, read 352,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I can't speak for the OP, but for me, I don't come across as not caring (I'm assuming since I'm usually offered the job). Despite not wanting the jobs, I still say all the right things about wanting a challenge, enjoying problem solving, being a team player, yada, yada, yada. The main difference is that I am very clear headed because I have no emotion whatsoever about the job. If I get it, whatever and if I don't, whatever. Being that emotionally detached makes it easy to think on my feet and say what I know the interviewer wants to hear. I'm also able to analyze their body language and adjust my course more effectively since I'm not worried about my own body lanugage.

The hard part, honestly, is staying focused on the interview and not letting my mind wander to topics like what I'll cook for dinner that night.
Why do you interview for jobs when you have no interest in taking them? Fulfilling a welfare requirement?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Also, on phone interviews, clear communication is important, starting with the phone itself. DO NOT USE A CELL PHONE, use a LAND LINE. NO EXCUSES. Find one.
Which works out the maybe 20% of the time the other person isn't calling you on a cell phone. Or VOIP phone. Or any other method that isn't a landline phone.

I wouldn't say having a clear line isn't important, but really, how many recruiters are even calling from a landline? Or hiring managers? Of the last several interviews/interview scheduling contacts I've had, 50% came via people calling me on cells and the other 50% came via e-mail. Zero landline contact. (I'm referring to legit contacts, not MLM spam or other garbage).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search