Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:31 PM

184 posts, read 316,020 times

Advertisements

If your background is anything like your personaility, I'd be concerned NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 12:43 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Two things:

1.) Everyone makes mistakes. It sounds like you learned from it and moved on. Kudos to you for that.
2.) Stay the course. Don't take the mentality of if you don't get it when you want it, it's not worth working for. Patience is a virtue.

If you go to court and aren't employed yet, just let the judge know that you are in the middle of your background screening for this place. They will likely acknowledge that as a good faith effort to gain employment.

I wish you luck either way!
I do appreciate it. It just surprises me that it takes this long when it took like 24-48 hours last time and that was for an office job, even if it was an entry-level office job. Temp agencies, I'm pretty sure, screen pretty well with regards to who they will send to a client, because they don't want an immature or unfit employee to stain their company's reputation. If I passed then, when that tiny issue was 4 years more recent than it is now, then I sure should now.

It's just that, at the same time, a place like Dollar Tree or Fred's etc, I have a hard time imagining how they'd take 7-10 business days when it was 24-48 hours for an office job. That's just backwards to me. Also, as desperate as I am, I NEED this to work, and BADLY. Patience may be a virtue, but so is efficiency, getting things done in a reasonable amount of time. Given how many people are out of work and hungry for work, we don't need to be so freaking slow with something like this, especially for such an entry-level job. Companies love to say "time is money"--how true, how about YOU demonstrating this yourself.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I do appreciate it. It just surprises me that it takes this long when it took like 24-48 hours last time and that was for an office job, even if it was an entry-level office job. Temp agencies, I'm pretty sure, screen pretty well with regards to who they will send to a client, because they don't want an immature or unfit employee to stain their company's reputation. If I passed then, when that tiny issue was 4 years more recent than it is now, then I sure should now.

It's just that, at the same time, a place like Dollar Tree or Fred's etc, I have a hard time imagining how they'd take 7-10 business days when it was 24-48 hours for an office job. That's just backwards to me. Also, as desperate as I am, I NEED this to work, and BADLY. Patience may be a virtue, but so is efficiency, getting things done in a reasonable amount of time. Given how many people are out of work and hungry for work, we don't need to be so freaking slow with something like this, especially for such an entry-level job. Companies love to say "time is money"--how true, how about YOU demonstrating this yourself.

Here's the flaw with that mindset. YOU need the work. They have work, and likely plenty of it that they have to complete to keep the company floating. Things take time. If they passed this to a 3rd party who also has a schedule, they will have to wait for that party to process your checks before they can offer you the job.

They get to you when they can. I will have to say if you can't have patience to see this through the company may become concerned down the road if this mentality carries over into the job. Just hang tight.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Did you just find out last week that you had a court date pending? Or have you had the date for a couple of months now?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:38 PM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times
To me, the 7-10 days is just a sign of the times. That just means that just about EVERYBODY is drug testing nowadays. It's a flawed policy that businesses follow like sheep. The only people it targets are the most benign of drug users, the pot smokers. Hard core druggies and alkies only have to obstain for a couple of days to test clean. People who choose to medicate with marijuana instead of hard drugs are punished because the drug stays in their system up to 90 days. All they're really doing is screening out idiots and MJ users.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:22 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,300 times
Quote:
I am working a temp job for a major bank now and it took them about 2 weeks to process the background check - for a gig that is going to last for 3 weeks. It was about the same turnaround for the financial firm that I will be starting permanently with at the end of the month. Conversely, I have also been in temp jobs where I did the background check on Friday and I was working by Monday. There really is no set standard - some companies are just faster than others.

Keep in mind retail jobs tend to bring in groups of new hires so they can train everyone all at once. Chances are they are running a batch of background checks and waiting for them all to finish before bringing in the new "class".

Also, corporate HR at Family Dollar isn't killing themselves to make sure your paperwork gets rushed through so you can start a cashiering job at store 1211 in Poughkeepsie. I've worked at the corporate HQ for Target in the payroll department and we would process hundreds and hundreds of requests a day. Everyone's just a number and gets placed in the pile like the 10000 other people Target hired the previous couple of weeks.

Last edited by gweilo845; 07-17-2014 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 02:47 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I didn't know that dollar stores tested for drugs. I just figured they assumed everyone working there was on them.
What I've noticed is that the worst jobs have the most strict policies as far as drugs go.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:51 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What I've noticed is that the worst jobs have the most strict policies as far as drugs go.
Because they know those applying would be more likely to be using.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 PM

179 posts, read 247,885 times
So, I get the feeling that now that you have this job offer, you are sitting and waiting/ Why? The best time to look for work is when you already have a job.

If it's so important to have a job (and I agree it is, go and get one TODAY) Go stock shelves overnight, work a convenience store, work at fast food, many of those you can walk in today and start tonight. Then you can tell the judge, "No, your honor, I don't have a job, I have 3 jobs and the continued prospects for better jobs. I'm working hard to be the best employee for all my employers and am sure I will continue to get better jobs as I can find them.

I wouldn't wait around for this job. If you don't land something else in the 7 days and this comes through, fine, and maybe you end up with two jobs to juggle, what a great problem to have. Retail always has the problem of over promising hours anyway, you could probably use two jobs, just to cover yourself.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Quote:

You most likely are not waiting on the store - you are waiting on the background check company. I endure a 10 year full-court press check every YEAR in the IT security field I am in and they always take at least 2+ weeks, even though the same company is doing the check.

My question is, are you concerned that your impending court date will have a negative outcome that will be public information, before they finish the background check? If so, did you let them know up front of the possibility of such an outcome or were hoping to have it occur after you were hired somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search