Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:29 PM

327 posts, read 569,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
This is nonsense. HR and management are now stooping to this level. I would have refused.

Not if you wanted the job you wouldn't. Maybe the employees need a sense of humor in that workplace; they may not want someone who has a stick up his or her butt all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
Not if you wanted the job you wouldn't. Maybe the employees need a sense of humor in that workplace; they may not want someone who has a stick up his or her butt all the time.
Then they should look at a bar for a job applicant not traditional job searches. Companies can't always be choosers especially if they are not getting the talent they really want because of low-ball salary.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:45 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
I'm curious. . . the folks who are horrified at the idea of being asked to tell a joke during an interview, and who said you would refuse/walk out of the interview...

What do you consider to be acceptable interview questions?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then they should look at a bar for a job applicant not traditional job searches. Companies can't always be choosers especially if they are not getting the talent they really want because of low-ball salary.
At a bar? That makes no sense.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:50 PM

214 posts, read 206,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I'm curious. . . the folks who are horrified at the idea of being asked to tell a joke during an interview, and who said you would refuse/walk out of the interview...

It's not "acceptable," it's "professional." A professional interview would be a discussion between adults about your qualifications and the company needs and culture. The end. It's not tough. It's not "what do you do on your days off? I just want to see if you're well-rounded." Unless I'm doing something illegal on my days off, you have no business knowing what I do. The reason people ask these other questions is because a lot of the HR people who are doing the hiring have no idea what the job involves -- they're just HR. So now they just have to fill the time with meaningless B.S. that they imagine gives them insight into their hire, which is almost at random.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:00 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I'd rather give candidates skills tests that relate to the positions (typing, coding, etc), discuss the answers, discuss how they would handle some potential situations on the job, and then see what questions they have.

I don't play games! Interviews are stressful enough and I don't want to scare off good candidates with psycobabble or the idiot stress questions du jour.

If an interviewer asked me to tell a joke, I'd probably walk out, too, depending on the job. If it were something highly creative where thinking out of the box, on the fly, was necessary, then I would respond. Otherwise, that probably isn't somewhere I'd want to work.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:05 PM

214 posts, read 206,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
If it were something highly creative where thinking out of the box, on the fly, was necessary, then I would respond. Otherwise, that probably isn't somewhere I'd want to work.
Here's the other stupid part. If someone in an organization came up with some "out of the box" thinking, odds are that they'd just be told to shut up and sit down. Nobody goes "wow!! What a great hire!!" And nobody has to "respond to stuff on the fly." In fact, most companies grind things to a standstill with endless committee meetings and B.S. That's why these questions and scenarios are so ridiculous.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:07 PM

327 posts, read 569,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'd rather give candidates skills tests that relate to the positions (typing, coding, etc), discuss the answers, discuss how they would handle some potential situations on the job, and then see what questions they have.

I don't play games! Interviews are stressful enough and I don't want to scare off good candidates with psycobabble or the idiot stress questions du jour.

If an interviewer asked me to tell a joke, I'd probably walk out, too, depending on the job. If it were something highly creative where thinking out of the box, on the fly, was necessary, then I would respond. Otherwise, that probably isn't somewhere I'd want to work.
Geez, lighten up Francis. A sense of humor is a valuable asset in any workplace and a sign of intelligence to boot. It's just one data point the employer has to evaluate potential employees -- all things being equal among competing candidates, I'd want someone with a better sense of humor myself.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
Quote:
Geez, lighten up Francis. A sense of humor is a valuable asset in any workplace and a sign of intelligence to boot. It's just one data point the employer has to evaluate potential employees -- all things being equal among competing candidates, I'd want someone with a better sense of humor myself.
Even taking what you're saying as a given, I'm not really sure, though, that being able to tell a joke- "on command", no less- in a situation like a job interview is a particularly good way to judge a person's overall sense of humor.

Last edited by BATCAT; 07-31-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 03:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Not everyone's sense of humor is the same though. Some deadpan, some are quick witted (myself), some tell Fozzie Bear jokes (like the OP and myself), others tell dirty jokes. What if the joke you said while being a good clean joke, doesn't make the other person laugh worse makes them roll their eyes and think "that's a joke." That is the other thing you need to remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search