Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 PM

19 posts, read 30,390 times

Advertisements

I know that networking is the best way to find a job but what are some others. List the top five other most helpful ways to search for and find a job. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
It depends entirely on the job. If you want to ring up purchases at a mom-and-pop grocery story, walking in the door and applying in person is best. If you want a job in the US Foreign Service you have to sit for the exam and follow the recruitment process. If you want to write for a magazine, you will probably need to submit unsolicited writing samples until someone bites. Etc. etc. etc.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:01 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RearrangeMyFace View Post
I know that networking is the best way to find a job but what are some others. List the top five other most helpful ways to search for and find a job. Thank you
Having useful and appropriate experience.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Diligently watch the job listings posted on the web at the places you want to work and apply as soon as you see an opening you want.

Note that I said "places" rather than "place." It is never a good idea to put all of your eggs in one basket.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have never found a job through networking. When I was looking in 2008-9 I bookmarked the websites of every place I could find that had the kinds of jobs that fit my experience within about an hour commute, and checked their websites daily. I interviewed at two, with no luck, the 3rd was the charm and I've been there over 5 years now with 2 promotions since starting. The job websites like Indeed and Monster are useless, they just got me offers for selling insurance on commission.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have never found a job through networking. When I was looking in 2008-9 I bookmarked the websites of every place I could find that had the kinds of jobs that fit my experience within about an hour commute, and checked their websites daily. I interviewed at two, with no luck, the 3rd was the charm and I've been there over 5 years now with 2 promotions since starting. The job websites like Indeed and Monster are useless, they just got me offers for selling insurance on commission.
I have never received a job through networking, either.

I got my jobs through CareerBuilder and Indeed.

I also set up alerts on the employer's website, once I discovered it on Indeed. Careerbuilder and Indeed are a great way to find job websites for the lesser known large employers outside the Fortune 500. By setting up the alerts on the company website, I got to apply for the job before it posted to external job search engines. I have done well with a 40-50% response rate on submitted resumes.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
I got an interview set up for Thursday because I talked to a lady with a chefs jacket and a nursing homes name on it..
I talked to her, asked her if they were looking for people... We talked for a good 15 minutes..

Turns out she was a Manager and they have a few positions open..
Just talked to a total stranger in a convenience store...

Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Well, sometimes it helps to change your normal routine, and hopefully meet some new people. Like the AP, who just happened to chat up a chef/manager.

My grandfather was a highly-paid mechanic at Ford's, actually, he was a Master Mechanic. However, he got laid off, during the Great Depression. To save money, he walked home that day instead of taking the streetcar. He happened upon a line stating "hiring---men 6 ft and over only" WTH---well, he gave it a try, it was a job for driving a streetcar, and they wanted men 6 ft and taller, so they could reach the wires that slipped XXX's/day. Well, he took the job, which paid 1/4 what he made at his mechanic's job, but supported his family. If he hadn't taken a different route home that day, well.....

Whatever, don't look/act desperate. That turns people off.

Good luck

Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
I've come to the conclusion that networking is absolutely critical. Most jobs come down to who you know not what you know.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:46 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I have never received a job through networking, either.

I got my jobs through CareerBuilder and Indeed.

I also set up alerts on the employer's website, once I discovered it on Indeed. Careerbuilder and Indeed are a great way to find job websites for the lesser known large employers outside the Fortune 500. By setting up the alerts on the company website, I got to apply for the job before it posted to external job search engines. I have done well with a 40-50% response rate on submitted resumes.
Same here. The only job I found through networking was my very first one and a short term contract job. I've had better success in better jobs by just applying in a standard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search