Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:44 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Regarding the bolded: I see this on lots of applications and there is no way around it. You cannot lie about it and use someone else.
Exactly. When you are asked for the name of previous supervisors, you can't lie. People who are advising the op use someone else and not their supervisor, aren't thinking this through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Most former employers, will not answer and question about your work habits, attendance, etc. The big question asked today after determining when you worked there is: Would you rehire this person. It is asked in one form or another not always in those exact words. No reason is asked or given. If the answer is NO, then the new employer is not likely to hire you. It is just assumed you are not a good prospective employee.

A legal question to ask. The old supervisor is not asked why they would not hire you. They are not asked if you are a good employee or a bad one. Just would you rehire this person. If they say yes you are considered a good employee, and if no a bad one.
Many employers could simply be mad that you left and give a negative answer. That doesn't necessarily say anything about the quality of the employee, good or bad.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:59 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
One of the reasons why I regularly advise employees to keep a contact list at home is to provide you with information for additional references.

Always provide honest information on your application, however, during the interview if there is one supervisor that you think is problematic tell the interviewer and offer contact information on 2-3 additional references from that workplace. Always ask folks who you would like to use as a reference for permission. Some employers have rules against employees giving references (because of potential liability for bad references) so encourage the potential employer to contact them outside of work hours.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:02 AM

709 posts, read 766,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
That's the thing, those HR forms are purchased from a company and just because it requests it, people fill it out. I have rarely completely filled out a form for a job that I got hired for. I only answered things which were truly needed by HR.

It is common and professional when using someone as a reference to ask them if you can use them as a reference. In doing so, ask them what they will say about you. Some are professional enough if they truly had a problem with you, would tell you to use someone else as a reference. But if you had a good relationship with someone in management who was much higher up in management than your former supervisor than you are better off using them. What you should do, is keep them in the loop for positions you are applying for and tell them when contacted to please highlight the skills you have which are needed for the position.

If after all that, you don't feel this person will be a great reference, then you don't have to use them. You don't have to tell them you aren't using them, just thank them and don't use them. Now, I'm not saying in all cases you don't want to use someone as a reference because they would say bad things about you. Some people even with the best of intentions after you question them what they would say, you get the impression they simply don't know how to give a good recommendation so it will help you. Same situation, don't use them.

I've mentioned I don't use former supervisors, but in one situation I could have. So I asked my former supervisor what he would say about me. It was good, but he has this strange way of explaining things which I felt was going to leave anyone talking to him that he was a character and that wouldn't put me in a great light.

There is nothing wrong with asking what references will say and giving them information about the jobs you are applying for so they can be direct when discussing you. And they should know what kind of job you are applying for so they are on point with their remarks.
I agree with this. Many times I won't completely fill out an application, if I don't feel the company needs certain information. Many of my former supervisors have retired or gone on to other jobs, so the interviewing company won't be able to get in touch with them anyway.

Like eastcoastguyz said, you should select references that you know will give you a good review (or at least not say anything bad). It's like the old lawyer adage, don't ask a question for which you don't already know the answer.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
I’ve had two good job interviews and didn’t get hired because my former supervisor gave me a bad reference. The HR person at the one company told me not to use my former supervisor as a reference because she gave me a negative review. She wasn’t specific but what I couldn’t understand was that the interviewers see me and dialogued with me in person yet took the word of someone they never met in person’s opinion over me. Companies all want to contact the former supervisor for a reference and how do you get around that? Putting down fellow co-workers instead of the supervisor kind of sticks out.

This is affecting my ability to make a living and I'm not applying to work at the same place, I just want to move on and get on with my life. Is that too much to ask?
Hell no it's not too much to ask. ESPECIALLY if you left voluntarily.

What does it say about an employer who waits until YOU decide to end it, then bad mouths YOU.

You were good enough to give work and a paycheck to every week, until YOU decided to move on?

And employers wonder why they can't get loyal help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search