Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Job Hunting? Would you take a free class on job hunting at the library?
NO, because I already know how to look for a job 6 18.75%
NO, even though I don't know everything I assume it will be poor 4 12.50%
YES, what an opportunity! 20 62.50%
I don't know. 2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times

Advertisements

hm... you are helping yourself by going... these things are a big network too, networking helps find jobs

It's free, and if you're jobless.. what else would you do during the time? Fill out an online application then sit in front of tv?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,060,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
The local library is offering a four hour class on job hunting skills. FREE.

(Resume development, tips on finding job openings, interview skills, and an inside view of the hiring process.)

They say in the advertisement that the class is designed for professionals and assumes a general knowledge of job hunting skills. They are limiting enrollment to twenty people. The person who is doing this class teaches job hunting classes professionally but agreed to do this seminar for free as a community service.

I am trying to get some of my jobless friends to sign up with me but so far no luck. They say why take a class when all the information is available online and in books. Is their argument against the class logical?
(I say it will be beneficial because we can compare notes and I can ask individual questions, etc.)
Go for it! It's free, and if you learn just ONE new thing, it will be a great FREE investment of time. I would attend such a class if I had the chance.

I learned a new trick about resumes and cover letters just last week from a friend who has a friend working in HR. The information the HR friend gave her, which was then passed down to me was priceless.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,062,421 times
I say if you have the time and you're prepared not to have a **** and a moan if it ends up being a waste, go! Wisdom and knowledge can pop up anywhere at any time. Even when it's something you feel you're well versed in, someone might say something that gives you a new perspective or sparks an idea. Who doesn't love a free opportunity to expand your mind?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,776,347 times
Quote:
Interesting. So as a hiring manager what were some things that people did that turned you off immediately in the interview? I'm jobless right now, so I'm hoping to pick your brain...
Three biggest things that turn HR/HM off are.

1: Attitude. An applicant that thinks they are interviewing you, rather than you interviewing them. They don't want to answer questions, but want to ask you questions instead. You see many posters on these threads, that preach this saying they will not answer questions like that. Say they are not going to answer questions, until HM has answered their questions. They don't realize, that the HM is not going to go into depth about the job, wages, benefits, etc., unless they feel the applicant is one they want to give this information to. There is a time for the applicant to ask questions, but it is after they have satisfied the HM that they may want to even consider this person.

2: Someone that is so meek or frightened to be there to the point, they can hardly talk to the HM. If you want a job, you need to be positive in your approach to apply for the job. Ready to give a smile and a firm handshake when they meet the HM. Some one that shows confidence that they could do the job. Someone that has a positive attitude, ready, willing and able to answer any question asked.

3: Dressed appropriately. When someone comes in for an interview even if it is a casual workplace, look professional. A suit or good sports coat and tie are what should be worn. I have seen people apply for an office position come in dressed as if they were going to the beach, or super casual. A real turn off for a hiring manager. If you are applying for a job as a janitor, then dress appropriately in clean neat cloths, if a man with a shave, and hair neat. But it is not appropriate to apply for an office job dressed in beach wear and flip flops even if you are planning on going from the appointment directly to the beach for a picnic.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:06 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,747,038 times
I wouldn't at this point in my life (don't need it), but when I was a recent graduate I definitely would have.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:56 PM

131 posts, read 182,821 times
UPDATE:

I went to the seminar today and it was excellent and well attended. They let us do peer review of the students resumes and they were just terrible. Hopefully they will be updated with the feedback they got from the students and instructor.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:04 PM

286 posts, read 851,683 times
Not only is it free, but you learn something. Also it is a good networking opportunity to meet other people. Who knows. Maybe the speaker may know someone that may be hiring in your field or may know someone who knows someone and so on.

You have absolutely nothing to lose. I found many jobs through networking. Never found a job shotgunning my resume online.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
Not only is it free, but you learn something. Also it is a good networking opportunity to meet other people. Who knows. Maybe the speaker may know someone that may be hiring in your field or may know someone who knows someone and so on.

You have absolutely nothing to lose. I found many jobs through networking. Never found a job shotgunning my resume online.

I agree networking leads to jobs but many people still have found jobs by applying online including me

Old 10-18-2014, 03:21 AM

131 posts, read 182,821 times
Every job I have ever found is from applying online.

Actually, the event got me energized because I now know the typical job applicant is really sad. We were able to see everyone's resume during the peer review process and they were universally just terrible. JUST TERRIBLE!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,776,347 times
The resume is the key to get in the door. Trying to get into a door without a key, is hopeless. The same for a resume. If it is not good, the resume does not open the doors.

Look at what you find if you type the following search criteria into a search engine.

Quote:
free resume writing software downloads
Look at these, and get an idea of what a good resume looks like. Some of those programs, will write you a winning resume. You may want to check out several as long as they are free, to develop one you want to use. Different templates for a different look. All kinds of ideas to use.

Maybe not as good as a professional resume writer would create, but you can develop one that will get you inside the door.

Some of these can be as good for your use, as the more professional software that costs you $30 and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search