Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Job Hunting? Would you take a free class on job hunting at the library?
NO, because I already know how to look for a job 6 18.75%
NO, even though I don't know everything I assume it will be poor 4 12.50%
YES, what an opportunity! 20 62.50%
I don't know. 2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:12 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times

Advertisements

He wants people to talk him out of going, so he will have an excuse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:25 PM

894 posts, read 1,049,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
He wants people to talk him out of going, so he will have an excuse.

Lol, I was starting to think that as soon as I read his comment about not being able to go because his friends won't go with him.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:02 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Well, if I were unemployed, I'd probably look into it.

Thinking of some chronically unemployed folks I know, they DEFINITELY could use some help on getting their act together. Whether or not they'll listen or even comprehend what other people tell them they should be doing is another story, though - there's a reason (**cough** poor social skills **cough**) they don't interview well, and are for the most part oblivious to their own shortcomings.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I would go. Your friends may think everything is online, but there are always tips and tricks to be learned. If nothing else, you're meeting people in the same situation and you might be able to network together.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:25 PM

11 posts, read 13,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
If you are not willing to go by yourself then you are not wanting a job.

In four hours you are bound to learn something.

Or maybe he's retired and doesn't need to go, but knows some unemployed HR directors that are star trek fans?

Old 10-14-2014, 06:35 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,331 times
Regarding some classes I've attended over the years my biggest 'beef' has been they often could have covered the material in half the time or less--however if I needed assistance with something and a class was offered, I'd figure it couldn't hurt and might help. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
I'd love to find a class like this..
I have a job and would like to learn how to write a good, clean resume..

Old 10-14-2014, 08:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Forget your friends.....Why sabotage yourself by waiting around and trying to convince them, meanwhile people are signing up.....You should hurry before you lose out.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Note the ones that think they know it all. If they are out of a job and not getting one, it proves right there they don't. It is amazing, how so many think if they are not learning a lit during the first half an hour, the course is useless and they will leave. If they don't have a job and seriously looking, then it proves they need help.

In a class like that, the best is taught near the end. The first part is to get people up to speed, to understand what comes later in the class. You start with basics, as some people need the whole course. Others only need part, and often do not know they need it till it is taught. I know, after I retired I put on similar programs with our church. About all of my students were able to find jobs in short order. It was usually one or two things, that they needed to learn to be successful, and they never knew what part of that class would be when that part was to be taught.

Take if from someone that hired hundreds of people over my career, the reason most people have a problem finding jobs, is they do poorly in their resume writing, and in the interviews. They may think they did great, and a interviewer may tell them they did great (told them to get them out of the door without being angry at the interviewer ) when in the first 5 minutes they had turned off the HR/HM interviewer to the point they had already lost the job.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
I would use it as a networking opportunity not necessarily for job hunting skills especially if it's free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search