Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:49 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,844 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

I'm involved in a very strange situation and I wanted to get everyone's take on it.

I have a friend/former coworker that has been laid off due to working in an industry that has basically collapsed. He is a good guy and in my experience a successful worker. As for myself, I'm severely underemployed.

He has a cousin that he is very close with that owns a successful small business. Over one hundred employees, several locations, been in business for a long time, etc....
Just to give you an indication of this cousin's personal success, he's driving around in a $250,000 Mercedes these days. He also owns a yacht and a bunch of real estate including a very nice vacation home.

My friend used to work for his cousin around 20 years ago so he somewhat knows the business. I do not know the business at all.

Long story short, my friend sat me down recently and told me he was going to go to his cousin to get both of us jobs. I did a lot professionally for this guy, he used to work for me....I think he wanted to help me along with himself.

Last week, my friend texted me that his cousin had offered both of us jobs. The only 'hangup' was that the job requires some technical training. The plan as he explained it to me was that his cousin was going to pay for an abbreviated training for my friend (since he already has some knowledge of the industry), but that my friend would pay it back out of his first few checks. As for me, I was going to have to pay for my own training which basically amounted to a course/class that would take a few weeks. The course is expensive, but I readily agreed as I really need the job, and it's a good paying job. The plan was that my friend was to contact his cousin this week and set up a start date for himself. I was to introduce myself, get him to sign off on something, and apparently get an offer letter contingent upon me completing the course. It was then going to be up to me to register for and complete the course. As I mentioned it takes a few weeks and is quite expensive.

Come this week, my friend texted me and told me we have a problem. Apparently his cousin was now balking at paying for my friend's training. I said "well tell him that's no problem, I'll pay for your training and you can pay me back." So I went over to my friends house and we texted his cousin as such. No reply whatsoever, for an entire day. Keep in mind my friend and his cousin are very close, if he isn't replying something is going on. What? I don't know.

I looked at my friend's phone and as of last week his cousin was telling him how happy he was to be able to help him and I. He seemed genuinely happy as well that we would be working for him. At the beginning of this week, he was first saying he was away on business, then he said he didn't know about paying for the training, then he acted all snippy when my friend started pressing him. Honestly, it looked like he was making any excuse he could to not have to deal with this.

As luck would have it, there is a family thing going on this Tuesday that my friend's cousin will be at. My friend is planning on going and bringing me. Since the family is very small, at the very minimum his cousin is going to be put on the spot about what is going on. It's not something his cousin can get out of so he'll definitely be there. How should we handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 05:23 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times
You need to stay out of it because no one with the authority to offer you a job offered you a job. Your cousin needs to directly ask his cousin what is going on. Why is your friend bringing you to a family event?

Old 10-31-2014, 05:29 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Hi everyone-

I'm involved in a very strange situation and I wanted to get everyone's take on it.

I have a friend/former coworker that has been laid off due to working in an industry that has basically collapsed. He is a good guy and in my experience a successful worker. As for myself, I'm severely underemployed.

He has a cousin that he is very close with that owns a successful small business. Over one hundred employees, several locations, been in business for a long time, etc....
Just to give you an indication of this cousin's personal success, he's driving around in a $250,000 Mercedes these days. He also owns a yacht and a bunch of real estate including a very nice vacation home.

My friend used to work for his cousin around 20 years ago so he somewhat knows the business. I do not know the business at all.

Long story short, my friend sat me down recently and told me he was going to go to his cousin to get both of us jobs. I did a lot professionally for this guy, he used to work for me....I think he wanted to help me along with himself.

Last week, my friend texted me that his cousin had offered both of us jobs. The only 'hangup' was that the job requires some technical training. The plan as he explained it to me was that his cousin was going to pay for an abbreviated training for my friend (since he already has some knowledge of the industry), but that my friend would pay it back out of his first few checks. As for me, I was going to have to pay for my own training which basically amounted to a course/class that would take a few weeks. The course is expensive, but I readily agreed as I really need the job, and it's a good paying job. The plan was that my friend was to contact his cousin this week and set up a start date for himself. I was to introduce myself, get him to sign off on something, and apparently get an offer letter contingent upon me completing the course. It was then going to be up to me to register for and complete the course. As I mentioned it takes a few weeks and is quite expensive.

Come this week, my friend texted me and told me we have a problem. Apparently his cousin was now balking at paying for my friend's training. I said "well tell him that's no problem, I'll pay for your training and you can pay me back." So I went over to my friends house and we texted his cousin as such. No reply whatsoever, for an entire day. Keep in mind my friend and his cousin are very close, if he isn't replying something is going on. What? I don't know.

I looked at my friend's phone and as of last week his cousin was telling him how happy he was to be able to help him and I. He seemed genuinely happy as well that we would be working for him. At the beginning of this week, he was first saying he was away on business, then he said he didn't know about paying for the training, then he acted all snippy when my friend started pressing him. Honestly, it looked like he was making any excuse he could to not have to deal with this.

As luck would have it, there is a family thing going on this Tuesday that my friend's cousin will be at. My friend is planning on going and bringing me. Since the family is very small, at the very minimum his cousin is going to be put on the spot about what is going on. It's not something his cousin can get out of so he'll definitely be there. How should we handle this?
How do you handle this? You are polite and friendly and you do not bring up the job at all (since you received no offer or even a personal acknowledgement from the cousin.)

Quote:
Also, stop counting other people's money.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You need to stay out of it because no one with the authority to offer you a job offered you a job. Your cousin needs to directly ask his cousin what is going on. Why is your friend bringing you to a family event?
I saw what his cousin said to my friend on his phone. He offered me the job. He is bringing me because we are certainly going to confront him and ask him why he offered us these jobs then reneged.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How do you handle this? You are polite and friendly and you do not bring up the job at all (since you received no offer or even a personal acknowledgement from the cousin.)
Yes but he told my cousin I had the job. I saw it in a text message. Personally I think he is accountable for texting that. How does he know that I didn't quit another job due to this offer?

Old 10-31-2014, 06:35 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Quote:
Yes but he told my cousin I had the job. I saw it in a text message. Personally I think he is accountable for texting that. How does he know that I didn't quit another job due to this offer?
Are you accustomed to receiving job offers from third party text messages?

But sure, go ahead and confront him. Tell him you are entitled to his money since you don't have any of your own. Tell him your lack of experience and skills doesn't matter because you need him to give you a job (that doesn't even exist) because you deserve it more than other people who might be more qualified.

Let us know how that goes.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Are you accustomed to receiving job offers from third party text messages?

But sure, go ahead and confront him. Tell him you are entitled to his money since you don't have any of your own. Tell him your lack of experience and skills doesn't matter because you need him to give you a job (that doesn't even exist) because you deserve it more than other people who might be more qualified.

Let us know how that goes.
What's up with the attitude? This has nothing to do with entitlement, first of all. We are not asking for his money, we are asking for the job that he already offered us. Second, both of us are more than qualified for this job. We might not have the industry specific technical knowledge of the product, but we both have over 10 years experience in sales. Third, the job absolutely exists and he's already given us a detailed description of it. Fourth, he offered us the job. Maybe not in a traditional offer letter, but what does that matter if he is the owner of the company?

Of course we are going to say something to him, we have absolutely nothing to lose by doing so. It's just a matter of what we are going to say. Of course, in my mind my friend has much more of a right to complain than I do, so maybe I just stand there and be supportive.

Keep in mind they are very close and I highly doubt my friends cousin is going to want to lose the relationship with my friend over something like this.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:

If anyone quits a job because of a text message, they are a moron and deserve to be unemployed.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 AM

What is the purpose of your post, as it sounds like you have already decided how you are going to "handle" it"?

Old 10-31-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If anyone quits a job because of a text message, they are a moron and deserve to be unemployed.
That's not the point and I think you know it. The point is that the guy offered both of us a job and is now reneging. Plus he hasn't even given us an explanation. Perhaps if you can't see it from my point of view, at least look at from my friends. How would you feel if you were him? He was unemployed and thought he landed a great job- even had his friend tell him he can't wait for (both of us) to start working for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search