Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 05:03 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,800,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Ok so lets forget our differances here and how we all think about job offers. Since he gave you a real job offer from a friend by way of a text message and you say that it is the real deal, then why are we having this conversation? You should be at work. You have a job right? The rest of us are just not educated in how things work anymore. You said you don't even know the guy offering you the job. Maybe companies today hire people by way of a text message to a relative to send to a friend. Maybe that is the new way of doing things and we did not get the memo. I know where I work people have to apply, go thru the hiring process, get interviewed, maybe a second or third interview. Maybe business where you are stopped doing that kind of thing.
Good points here.

Why isn't the OP down at the office today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 05:11 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,800,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
The salary and benefits were not 'questionable'.
Pretty much every single thing that every single person on this thread has suggested is simply not true.
I feel like a punching bag....

just looking for some advice and I get bombarded with accusations that are untrue.

Fact of the matter is, the guy offered both of us a job. And no matter what anyone on this thread says (or anywhere else), that's a fact.
The guy offered you a job. By text message to a third party. OK, let's say we accept that this is a legit, formal offer.

But then you say he reneged. How was this officially communicated? Return text? Facebook Messenger? Twitter?

If you have received no formal withdrawal of the offer, then according to your logic, you still have a job offer. Why haven't you accepted it?

Fire off a Whatsapp message immediately. Or post to your Tumblr!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:25 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,697,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The problem now is that the OP is going to let us know that a text to his friend from his rich cousin stated exactly that. It is interesting that the story gets so much more entertaining as time goes on.

It is slow today so I am writing this from my computer at work at a job that I was offered from a job offer printed on paper because that is how all my job offers arrived. Then again I have been here for close to 17 years and no one made text job offers back then.
As you said, after 17 years of steady employment you are probably a little old fashioned regarding your job hunting skills so I hope you continue on your career path. Every real job offer I had was also in writing with specific start dates and benefits included but we didn't use third party text messages back then.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:13 PM

389 posts, read 427,915 times
Wow, interesting thread. I think if it's a lucrative job I would go for it. When is the family event? Could you email this guy and ask him further about the job and training required? Might be a little odd to show up at a family event. Good luck and hope you get the job.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:06 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,546,139 times
Quote:
The flaw in your argument is that traditional job offers also don't always lead to person working. They can be rescinded or withdrawn, too.

What you or anyone else seems to be ignoring is that this guy owns the company, he can do whatever he wants. He can hire his employees anyway that he sees fit.
No offense OP but you just answered your own question

Old 11-01-2014, 12:33 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,012,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Are you accustomed to receiving job offers from third party text messages?

But sure, go ahead and confront him. Tell him you are entitled to his money since you don't have any of your own. Tell him your lack of experience and skills doesn't matter because you need him to give you a job (that doesn't even exist) because you deserve it more than other people who might be more qualified.

Let us know how that goes.
This. How did the world function before texting? Even if the cousin himself offered you the job via text (and he didn't even do that), I would want to speak to him in person or by telephone regarding the details of such a convoluted reimbursement deal. Tone of voice is so important. How quickly we have forgotten that.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:53 PM

587 posts, read 918,501 times
I am not sure what you can really do about this or why you would still want to work for someone who offers a job, offers to pay for training, and then changes their mind. It just sounds like a recipe for future disaster.

I can see asking why he changed his mind, in as non-confrontational a way as possible, but does his answer really matter? Maybe it's just me, but I'd want to back away from working with someone like this.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:41 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,954,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
I am not sure what you can really do about this or why you would still want to work for someone who offers a job, offers to pay for training, and then changes their mind. It just sounds like a recipe for future disaster.

I can see asking why he changed his mind, in as non-confrontational a way as possible, but does his answer really matter? Maybe it's just me, but I'd want to back away from working with someone like this.
I'm kind of thinking the same thing. Which is why I'm leaning towards confronting him at the family get together. I will ask him to speak to me in private, if he says no I'll ask him if he texted his cousin to tell me that I have the job, and when can I start.

I'll at least get an explanation.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:07 PM

403 posts, read 559,338 times
My understanding of the situation is that you and your friend got offered a job working for his cousin, but you both needed training first. Your friend's cousin was originally going to pay for your friend's training, but you had to pay for your own. Since that time, your friend's cousin has decided to back out of paying for your friend's training and has apparently reneged on the job offer that you received by text to your friend. Now you want to put him on the spot in front of his family to find out why.

There are a couple reasons why the job offer could have been taken away. As somebody earlier in the post said, there could be financial issues in the company that prevents taking on more employees right now. This company may have just enough employees for the areas they service already and adding more area would require more employees than just you and your friend so it may not be economical right now. It's also quite possible that the sales manager hired somebody that already had the required skills for the position. You said that your friend's cousin isn't involved in the day to day operations so it's quite possible that he's not hearing about new hires immediately.

Now, my concern is your friend's cousin hiring you without knowing you. He knows who you are, but that's not the same as knowing you. He didn't give you an interview or anything. I'm not saying you're a bad guy, but would it be a smart business decision for him to hire you JUST because you're his cousin's friend? He won't know for sure if you have some criminal history that even his cousin doesn't know about. Once again, I'm not saying you do, but how would he know?

Your friend's cousin should also know that he shouldn't give a job offer by text message and definitely not in a text to somebody else. If he wants to make a job offer by text, which he shouldn't do anyway, he should at least get your # and send you the offer himself instead of having his cousin do it. What if your friend never told you and it was a legitimate offer, but you never showed up because you didn't know about it? Then, if you went to him for a job again, he'd be thinking that he offered you a job before, but you never showed up and probably wouldn't give you another shot at it. You could try to blame your friend, but that wouldn't be good either since your friend is the boss's cousin.

You also say you have 10 years of experience in sales. In those 10 years, I'm sure somebody has backed out of a sale with you. What do you do when this happens? Do you go to a family function and put the "customer" on the spot?

There is one final possibility. It's possible that your friend's cousin decided he only needed one person and decided that one person should be his cousin. Your friend may not know how to tell you so he's passing it off to you like neither of you got the job, but he could be having actual phone or in person conversations with his cousin about the position that you would never know about.

One piece of advice. Stay away from the family event if your reason for going is to put your friend's cousin on the spot. That shouldn't happen in front of family. His wife may not know what's going on in the company so you can create bigger problems by doing so. On top of that, if somebody wanted a job from me and came to a family event of mine and decided to put me on the spot, I guarantee you would never get the job and I wouldn't even care if you were the most qualified person that ever applied for the position.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:17 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,301,312 times
Quote:
Oh it's absolutely true that he offered both of us a job. Both verbally and via text. For the record, I have a job. Just not making what I used to.

There is no 'logic' that can change the unassailable fact that he offered both of a job.
Unless you have direct communications from that person at the company, you don't have a job offer. A real job offer is something you could take to the bank and show them you work you will begin work at that company with X salary and Y job title and on Z date. If you can't do that, you don't have a job offer. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but unless you have direct communications of the job offer written and signed by the company, it isn't real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search