Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 02:30 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If that is the case then you should be at work.

True traditional job offers can be withdrawn. It happens all the time.

".
These 2 statements are contradictory to one another.

Quote:

If I was the owner of the company and had read all your posts I would
withdraw the offer. You may not realize this but your way of responding toward
people that are offering help is not the kind of person to many places would
want selling for them.

LOL. Why not? Do tell.

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 02:32 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,291,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
He owns the buildings (several locations).
That's pretty easy to verify. Look up the property records for those buildings. It's free and you can do this easily online.

I've done this and someone who claimed to own the building was actually renting it from a third-party.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
Quote:
Of course it's an offer. Why would it not be?
What are the details of the job offer? How much will you be making? What benefits does your new job offer? What will your hours be? Is it a part time offer, part time, per diem, contract job offer? Are you making commision or is it strait pay? Will bonuses be provided during the year? Are you starting off with a one week or two week vacation?

Old 10-31-2014, 02:36 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,291,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random856 View Post
If you have never been to any of their family events before, I personally would not go. I would feel so awkward if I just appeared at a friend's family gathering, even if my friend invited me, for the sole purpose of pestering one of their family members for a job. He could have felt pressured to offer you guys a job, and backed out when he came to his senses about his company's financial situation. Maybe it's not doing as well as you think. I don't know, but I do know I would definitely not go to that party.
Yes, I agree. I'm picturing a scene from the Godfather when the guy comes to ask for justice. He even says something about asking for a favor on the day of his daughter's wedding.

Also, if you put someone on the spot at a function like that, they will either get upset, or tell you "Call my office" or "Send me your resume" to blow you off. They aren't going to focus their attention on you at the moment and interview you for the job or commit to anything. Even if they do, later on it will be "I don't remember that, I was drunk at that party".

The OP needs to not get involved in this family's drama and look for a job elsewhere.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:44 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
Quote:
These 2 statements are contradictory to one another.

How are they contradictory? You are the one with the job offer. Oh your not saying that the rich cousin text the friend of yours to tell you that the job offer has been withdrawn are you?

Old 10-31-2014, 02:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,776,347 times
Have you considered that the person you say is reneging on a job offer, may have made a few calls to check both of you out, and after doing so does not want either of you working for him. Remember most job offers are made, subject to a check on the one being hired.

Or he looked around and came to the conclusion he does not really have a spot for you to fill.

Or your friend kept bugging him about hiring you two so much, he decided he does not want you after all.

If you really want to guarantee you will never get a job with him, go to the family gathering and sandbag him demanding to know why he changed his mind about hiring the two of you. I guarantee as an old HM in a big corporate setting, I know exactly how we handled people doing something like this....They went on a permanent black list. This type of action when a man is going to a family gathering of any kind, when an outsider crashes the party to demand to know why they are not being hired, is about as poor taste of a thing anyone can do, and will automatically guarantee NO JOB.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:46 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,675,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If that is the case then you should be at work.

True traditional job offers can be withdrawn. It happens all the time.

What I am not sure about is why you have spent so much time today trying to figure this all out. You are in sales right? Are you working right now? If you are then would you not be focusing on your work? If you are not working then wouldn't you focus on getting a job?

If I was the owner of the company and had read all your posts I would withdraw the offer. You may not realize this but your way of responding toward people that are offering help is not the kind of person to many places would want selling for them.

[Snip.]
Entertaining

Small Business Answers - Elements of a written job offer

Elements of a written job offer
Question
What should be included in a written offer of employment?
Answer
A written job offer typically includes, but may not be limited to, these elements:

- Job description
- Compensation
- Starting date
- Job location
- Work schedule
- Benefits
- Other issues associated with this particular offer and acceptance.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 02:48 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,065,293 times
Quote:
Hi everyone-

I'm involved in a very strange situation and I wanted to get everyone's take on it.

I have a friend/former coworker that has been laid off due to working in an industry that has basically collapsed. He is a good guy and in my experience a successful worker. As for myself, I'm severely underemployed.

He has a cousin that he is very close with that owns a successful small business. Over one hundred employees, several locations, been in business for a long time, etc....
Just to give you an indication of this cousin's personal success, he's driving around in a $250,000 Mercedes these days. He also owns a yacht and a bunch of real estate including a very nice vacation home.

My friend used to work for his cousin around 20 years ago so he somewhat knows the business. I do not know the business at all.

Long story short, my friend sat me down recently and told me he was going to go to his cousin to get both of us jobs. I did a lot professionally for this guy, he used to work for me....I think he wanted to help me along with himself.

Last week, my friend texted me that his cousin had offered both of us jobs. The only 'hangup' was that the job requires some technical training. The plan as he explained it to me was that his cousin was going to pay for an abbreviated training for my friend (since he already has some knowledge of the industry), but that my friend would pay it back out of his first few checks. As for me, I was going to have to pay for my own training which basically amounted to a course/class that would take a few weeks. The course is expensive, but I readily agreed as I really need the job, and it's a good paying job. The plan was that my friend was to contact his cousin this week and set up a start date for himself. I was to introduce myself, get him to sign off on something, and apparently get an offer letter contingent upon me completing the course. It was then going to be up to me to register for and complete the course. As I mentioned it takes a few weeks and is quite expensive.

Come this week, my friend texted me and told me we have a problem. Apparently his cousin was now balking at paying for my friend's training. I said "well tell him that's no problem, I'll pay for your training and you can pay me back." So I went over to my friends house and we texted his cousin as such. No reply whatsoever, for an entire day. Keep in mind my friend and his cousin are very close, if he isn't replying something is going on. What? I don't know.

I looked at my friend's phone and as of last week his cousin was telling him how happy he was to be able to help him and I. He seemed genuinely happy as well that we would be working for him. At the beginning of this week, he was first saying he was away on business, then he said he didn't know about paying for the training, then he acted all snippy when my friend started pressing him. Honestly, it looked like he was making any excuse he could to not have to deal with this.

As luck would have it, there is a family thing going on this Tuesday that my friend's cousin will be at. My friend is planning on going and bringing me. Since the family is very small, at the very minimum his cousin is going to be put on the spot about what is going on. It's not something his cousin can get out of so he'll definitely be there. How should we handle this?
Drives an expensive car, owns a yacht and a fancy vacation home, huh?

All the makings of a "he owes us something" story.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:47 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,898 times
The salary and benefits were not 'questionable'.
Pretty much every single thing that every single person on this thread has suggested is simply not true.
I feel like a punching bag....

just looking for some advice and I get bombarded with accusations that are untrue.

Fact of the matter is, the guy offered both of us a job. And no matter what anyone on this thread says (or anywhere else), that's a fact.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:51 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,024,708 times
Quote:
The salary and benefits were not 'questionable'.
Pretty much every single thing that every single person on this thread has suggested is simply not true.
I feel like a punching bag....

just looking for some advice and I get bombarded with accusations that are untrue.

Fact of the matter is, the guy offered both of us a job. And no matter what anyone on this thread says (or anywhere else), that's a fact.
What do you have in writing? I've read the first page and this page, but I'll assume all you have is a text on your friends phone.

That's not a job offer, for either of you. Irritating him at a family gathering is likely only going to cement his position. I know if you came to a family gathering I was at to bother me about a job offer I never made to you, I'd see to it you were shown the door.

Quote:
The flaw in your argument is that traditional job offers also don't always lead to person working. They can be rescinded or withdrawn, too.

What you or anyone else seems to be ignoring is that this guy owns the company, he can do whatever he wants. He can hire his employees anyway that he sees fit.
Oh, wait a minute. You solved your own conundrum... He can do whatever he wants, including ignore you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search