Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 03:37 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,949,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
This is really getting tiresome. The OP should just get his buddy (who is like a brother to the company owner) to give him the cousin's email address at work. The OP can then send an email to the CEO guy thanking him for the "offer" and asking him when they can get together to iron out the details. The employer can then clarify exactly what all those texts were about. This "professional salesman" should be handling his own job search rather than have his pal communicating with his cousin Vinnie on his behalf.
He's not returning his own cousins calls, who is like a brother to him. What makes you think he is going to return my calls/emails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There is very little chance, that the owner would know before checking that they had or did not have, an opening for you to fill. So he said yes I will see if I could help you, and there was no place to put you to work, and no owner is going to hire a couple more employees than they have jobs for.

The owner of a company of any size, does not actually do the hiring. They have a HR department, and they have department managers. They would turn your names over to the person that would handle the actual hiring. When they did this, the HR department would get in touch with the department head of the department where you would be considered as a new hire. It is very probable that the department head said, "No way do I want that guy working for me ". That ended your job prospects.

Or they decided they did not need you in that department, and there really was not a job open for you to fill. End of the consideration to hire you or your friend.

The owner is not the HM. He would have turned you over to others to take care of. And they did not have an opening for you, for any job you would fit into.
1. No, he didn't say that he would 'see if I could help you'. He said "tell your friend he's got the job."
2. Of course owners hire people at companies.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:05 AM

403 posts, read 558,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
1. There is plenty of evidence that the owner knows who I am. I have contacts at the company that have told me he knows who I am. Plus my friend, who I trust in a professional capacity, told me knows who I am.
2. Your circumscribed notion of the hiring process is not true everywhere, and I know that for a fact. The company I worked for for 15 years did not have the hiring process you allude to. We had 4 different offices and over 200 employees at one point, yet the owner hired people himself at times. We had exactly ONE Hr person, btw. She was not involved in the hiring process at all.
3. As far as the training, it's not the training itself that employees pay for, it's the course that I alluded to. I don't think this is necessarily a deal breaker for me personally.
1. I hate to break it to you, but from what you've told us in this topic, there is not plenty of evidence that this person knows who you are. Personally, I don't think your friend is a very good example of how well his cousin knows you because you're friend also said you had a job working for his cousin and that hasn't happened yet, has it?
2. Of course the hiring policy pointed out by eastcoastguyz doesn't happen in every company, but MOST companies do have a hiring policy similar to this. I have been hired at jobs before I've ever put in an application, but guess what. Once I got there, I still had to complete an application and if my information didn't match up with what I'd told whoever hired me, or my qualifications didn't meet the qualifications that the company required, I would have had the job offer taken away.
3. The point is that you were being asked to pay for courses to give yourself the required knowledge and skills to work for the company. In this case, courses and training are the same thing.

Even if you would have received a proper job offer, by which I mean you applied, got interviewed, and received an offer of employment, the offer could still be taken away. You could receive an offer to start the job in a week and in that week, the company could have to file bankruptcy an decide that they don't need any new people on the payroll. People aren't entitled to ANY job. Yes, we need jobs, but we aren't entitled to any certain job. I'd be willing to bet you that if you were to decide to sue this person over this, you would lose the lawsuit.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
1. I hate to break it to you, but from what you've told us in this topic, there is not plenty of evidence that this person knows who you are. Personally, I don't think your friend is a very good example of how well his cousin knows you because you're friend also said you had a job working for his cousin and that hasn't happened yet, has it?
t.
Oh, there is most certainly plenty of evidence. Again, I have contacts in the company that have told me that he knows who I am. Do you really think everyone is lying to me? C'mon, now.
Furthermore, my friend is not the one that said I had the job, the OWNER said I have a job.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:16 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,752,495 times
Quote:
He's not returning his own cousins calls, who is like a brother to him. What makes you think he is going to return my calls/emails?
What have you got to lose?

Unless you are relishing the idea of confronting him at this family event. I hope you do because I want to hear what goes down.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What have you got to lose?

Unless you are relishing the idea of confronting him at this family event. I hope you do because I want to hear what goes down.
I'm not going to confront him per se. I'm going to ask to speak with him in private. If he says no, I will confront him.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,752,495 times
Quote:
Use your common sense. If he is not returning his cousins calls, do you really think he is going to have good news for me when I call? If he planned on honoring the offer, he would have called us by now. I'd rather speak to him in person.
So you think there is a better chance that he will have "good news" for you if you approach him in person at a family party? Why do you think that?

Old 11-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
So you think there is a better chance that he will have "good news" for you if you approach him in person at a family party? Why do you think that?
Because it's a lot easier to blow someone off via phone or email than it is in person. This is sales 101.
The other thing is that I think it's pretty likely that he will speak with his cousin and I in private. Why? Because he is aware that his cousin is pissed off. (No, his cousin didn't send any rude messages or anything like that- but he did say to him that he needs to know what's going on with the job so he can plan his life accordingly. When his cousin didn't respond, he did say he didn't think it was fair of him to leave him hanging)

I just don't see the guy saying "call me at my office" or something like that. He has to see this guy all the time, he is also very friendly with his wife. It's not something he is going to be able to avoid forever.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,432,101 times
Quote:

What makes you think either of you are ever getting a job from a guy who won't even answer his calls from a guy that is supposedly like a brother to him?

Look, there's something wrong here, and it starts with your thinking you ever had a real job offer.

He doesn't want to hire either of you, and now, he's done with his cousin over it, and I can't blame him.

But y'all go ahead and embarrass yourselves in front of your buddy's family, I wish I knew where the get-together was because I'd pay money to watch this, and I'd bring popcorn.

The solar panel on the calculator is weak with this one.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:06 AM

399 posts, read 568,928 times
So in other words, you already know you don't have a job with this guy, but you just want to make him say it to you to your face (even though he didn't even say you had a job to your face).

Well, that's backwards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search