Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 10:17 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Even if it's a situation that can be overcome, the moment you confronted me about it, you'd be toast.

You're not paying attention to the signs. He's sick of discussing it. That's why he's no longer responding to his cousins calls / text messages. He will not want to hear from you.

It's one thing to send in a resume and hope to hear back from them, and quite another to go up to someone and ask them why things changed. He'll view that as aggressive and confrontational. You're l like a pit bull unwilling to let go of whatever you're chewing at.

Maybe he did some digging, learned something about you, and cut his losses before even bringing you in. Ever think of that? Probably not, but you should.

And no, he wouldn't tell you even if that did happen.
Maybe that's how you would respond, but it's not how I would respond. There was a time when I did a lot of hiring for my old company. Actually, for a very short time a few years ago it's pretty much all I did- interview people all day. I always liked when candidates were aggressive, I thought it showed initiative.
Point being that not everyone thinks the same way that you do. Maybe he will appreciate the initiative and maybe he will give me the job as a result.

However, more importantly is that I have nothing to lose. And he did offer me the job, so I do believe I'm entitled to an explanation.

I don't think it has anything to do with him digging and finding something about me. If that were the case, how does it explain how he is acting towards his cousin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:25 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,674,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Maybe that's how you would respond, but it's not how I would respond. There was a time when I did a lot of hiring for my old company. Actually, for a very short time a few years ago it's pretty much all I did- interview people all day. I always liked when candidates were aggressive, I thought it showed initiative.
Point being that not everyone thinks the same way that you do. Maybe he will appreciate the initiative and maybe he will give me the job as a result.

However, more importantly is that I have nothing to lose. And he did offer me the job, so I do believe I'm entitled to an explanation.

I don't think it has anything to do with him digging and finding something about me. If that were the case, how does it explain how he is acting towards his cousin?

You have said multiple times that he sent a text to your friend. He did not actually offer you a job. And as MPowering1 has said, he could rescind it even if he did (which again, according to your posts he has not).

This is offering you a job:

"I'd like to hire you to work for my company XYZ. Here is your benefit package, the address to the location to go take your pre-screen drug test, your hiring forms, and your start date."

This is what you said your friend got in a text:

"Hey this is Bob, your cousin. I've got a position for you and your friend at my company." Then when your cousin responds you get "---------".

Those are two VERY different things. I get it. You need a better job and really wanted this to pan out. But sometimes in life it doesn't. Move on already. Anything you do past this point to communicate with the cousin (who you have admitted you haven't even met) is going to put him off and pretty much lock out any chance you have of working for him in the future. ESPECIALLY if you confront him demanding an explanation of why he changed his mind. If he knows the right people, this could hurt your chance of employment with other companies too if he ever mentions it to a higher up there.

You really need to cut your losses and move on.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You have said multiple times that he sent a text to your friend. He did not actually offer you a job. And as MPowering1 has said, he could rescind it even if he did (which again, according to your posts he has not).

This is offering you a job:

"I'd like to hire you to work for my company XYZ. Here is your benefit package, the address to the location to go take your pre-screen drug test, your hiring forms, and your start date."

This is what you said your friend got in a text:

"Hey this is Bob, your cousin. I've got a position for you and your friend at my company." Then when your cousin responds you get "---------".

Those are two VERY different things. I get it. You need a better job and really wanted this to pan out. But sometimes in life it doesn't. Move on already. Anything you do past this point to communicate with the cousin (who you have admitted you haven't even met) is going to put him off and pretty much lock out any chance you have of working for him in the future. ESPECIALLY if you confront him demanding an explanation of why he changed his mind. If he knows the right people, this could hurt your chance of employment with other companies too if he ever mentions it to a higher up there.

You really need to cut your losses and move on.
1. He told my friend, word for word "tell your friend he's got the job." So factually, he did offer me the job.
2. I'm not so sure that he will be put off when I approach him. I don't buy that. He may be put off, he may appreciate the initiative. There is no way to know for sure.

Really, he should have no problem with me asking the status of the job he offered me.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,550,306 times
Just ask. It's really the only solution.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times
Stop it! It's over!

Deal with it, and move on, before you wind up looking like a clueless dolt, and ruin any chance of ever getting a job with this guy.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Stop it! It's over!

Deal with it, and move on, before you wind up looking like a clueless dolt, and ruin any chance of ever getting a job with this guy.
Why would he have a problem with me asking him about the job that he offered me?
Why would he have a problem with his cousin asking him about the job he offered him?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times
Here's something to think about that I'm handing off to you for future reference. After seeing your *logic* and how you view things, 99% of us posting in this thread wouldn't hire you. Ever. For any job.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Why would he have a problem with me asking him about the job that he offered me?
Why would he have a problem with his cousin asking him about the job he offered him?

Just go to the family gathering, corner him and ask him flat out if he offered you a job.
Be sure the cousin is there as well so you can see the reaction of the cousin who did offer you the job when the guy who you have in a corner is saying "What are you talking about I never offered anyone a job".

Until you corner the guy and prove that you are right (or wrong) you are not going to take any type of advice from anyone here.
So quit wasting other's time asking all your nonsense questions instead of answering questions, corner the guy and let everyone know how it goes tomorrow after the gathering okay?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Here's something to think about that I'm handing off to you for future reference. After seeing your *logic* and how you view things, 99% of us posting in this thread wouldn't hire you. Ever. For any job.
I think you should speak for yourself, not 99% of the forum. As I said in another post, you are a pretty confrontational dude.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Just go to the family gathering, corner him and ask him flat out if he offered you a job.
Be sure the cousin is there as well so you can see the reaction of the cousin who did offer you the job when the guy who you have in a corner is saying "What are you talking about I never offered anyone a job".

Until you corner the guy and prove that you are right (or wrong) you are not going to take any type of advice from anyone here.
So quit wasting other's time asking all your nonsense questions instead of answering questions, corner the guy and let everyone know how it goes tomorrow after the gathering okay?
Which nonsense question did I ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search