Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 07:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
What does your question have to do with the price of tea in China on thursdays?
Because it is exactly the same scenario as your "job offer", but of course you'd choose not to see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:02 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
You'd think a cousin "who was like a brother" to the CEO would know about something like that
This is actually getting funnier now that these could possibly be people I really know.

This "cousin" is well-known by all of us in the HVAC business as a leech, a mooch. He bounces from company to company but can never get a fingerhold in, because he has no work ethics. My husband owns another HVACR company in town, and the cousin worked for us for about two months during the summer a couple years ago. He came in late, left early, only made one sale, and we caught him using the company vehicle on a family trip, because he was so stupid he used the company gas card all the way there and back. Then the day we fired him, he stole the vehicle, pawned the equipment, and of course, he wound up in jail.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:03 AM

709 posts, read 766,220 times
Quote:
...Sure I have ground to stand on. He offered me the job, then reneged. That's breach of contract right there.

Of course he owes me something morally. He offered me a job.

Yet you refuse to acknowledge that based upon the definition of 'offer' that I provided for you, nowhere does the lack of a conversation with me preclude the owner from providing me an offer. In other words, he did in fact offer me the job.
I think I have a better idea than confronting the boss at a family gathering. Just show up for work. Tell whomever is at the front desk that the owner (insert his name here) directly hired you, and you're reporting for your first day. Get copies of the text messages from your friend, so you can show them his offer.

The boss has to look at the big picture. He's probably been out of touch because he has a business to run. In fact, he's probably assuming you and your friend knew to report for work and start orientation.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is actually getting funnier now that these could possibly be people I really know.

This "cousin" is well-known by all of us in the HVAC business as a leech, a mooch. He bounces from company to company but can never get a fingerhold in, because he has no work ethics. My husband owns another HVACR company in town, and the cousin worked for us for about two months during the summer a couple years ago. He came in late, left early, only made one sale, and we caught him using the company vehicle on a family trip, because he was so stupid he used the company gas card all the way there and back. Then the day we fired him, he stole the vehicle, pawned the equipment, and of course, he wound up in jail.

Oh I hope this info is true.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
I think I have a better idea than confronting the boss at a family gathering. Just show up for work. Tell whomever is at the front desk that the owner (insert his name here) directly hired you, and you're reporting for your first day. Get copies of the text messages from your friend, so you can show them his offer.

The boss has to look at the big picture. He's probably been out of touch because he has a business to run. In fact, he's probably assuming you and your friend knew to report for work and start orientation.
THIS x100000000000000

report back

Old 11-04-2014, 08:18 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post

Are you saying this person you know is a mooch, or factually a mooch? I believe there is a difference.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:19 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It's a good thing I don't live my life to impress you or anyone else.
For the record the requirements I have would be in place no matter what is federally mandated.
Last and most importantly "Dude", there is nothing about requiring specific training, verifiable documentation, and experience that is short sighted. It is responsible to be legal and as safe as possible when performing a task that requires all of the above at the highest level.
It is a badge of honor to go over and above what is federally required as well.
It gives customers a higher level of confidence that the job will be done properly without fail.

Now, let's get back to the topic at hand which is not me, my company nor my boobs not being stuffed in a too small shirt.

My apologies for calling you dude. As to you justifying jumping through hoops, I think you are wasting money, time, and effort for nothing. You may be a business owner, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your hiring process is optimized. It seems to me that you are making an illogical argument predicated on an appeal to authority (your authority). Said another way- you are trying to use your status as a business owner to prove that you have all the answers. That's not rational.
Quote:
You and your lack of employment offer is the topic and you are still not willing to acknowledge that you do not now and did not ever have an actual offer of employment neither factually nor legally.
No matter how you write things out, the number of times you write the same thing, the different words you use that fact will not change.
Actually, I've proven that I did get both a legal and factual offer. I proved this using the legal definition of 'offer' supplied by another poster.

Quote:
So today is the day you are going to go to the family event that isn't even your family, corner the alleged owner of this company and demand he give you an explanation, financial compensation and an apology for the employment offer that you never had.
I strongly urge you take a few hundred dollars cash with you
Thank you for advice, but I won't be taking a few hundred dollars.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
My apologies for calling you dude. As to you justifying jumping through hoops, I think you are wasting money, time, and effort for nothing. You may be a business owner, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your hiring process is optimized. It seems to me that you are making an illogical argument predicated on an appeal to authority (your authority). Said another way- you are trying to use your status as a business owner to prove that you have all the answers. That's not rational.

Actually, I've proven that I did get both a legal and factual offer. I proved this using the legal definition of 'offer' supplied by another poster.

Actually, considering thus far you have unable to differentiate between a formal job offer and a text message I don't know that you are qualified to direct a successful business owner on the hiring process.

I would still recommend seeking legal council since none of us know anything and report back on what they tell you.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:

Try telling a judge about your legal offer and get laughed out of court. No one owes you anything. Someone may have made you an informal offer and was a jerk and rescinded but that's life for you. Go to court or confront him and learn the hard way if you really want to make an ordeal out of it.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I hope the business owner tells him to leave or he'll call the police.

The only thing the business owner will think when confronted is, "This guy is an obsessed loose cannon. Thank God I didn't hire him!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search