Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 04:20 PM

709 posts, read 766,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
... I'll also ask him how he plans to compensate us for hanging us out to dry this last week.
What type of compensation would you be expecting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 04:27 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,781,463 times
Quote:
As I've said before, factually, he already offered me the job. Of course my friend has his email address. I've already explained why I haven't emailed him. Again, it's a lot easier to blow off an email, text, or phone call than it is to blow off a person standing right in front of you.
Let's consider the facts here.

1) While looking at your friends phone you saw that the CEO Cousin said tell your friend he has the job
2) The CEO Cousin is no longer offering either one of you a job

The reasoning behind why number 2 happened doesn't matter. Even if he gave you a job and fired you after 5 minutes, that's legal in just about every state in the US. You can certainly dislike it, but there's no obligation to let you work at his company unless a contract stating as much was signed(the legal definition of a contract has not been met here by the way). And FYI, he has absolutely no need to compensate you for anything. If you're looking for that, you should probably just give up now.

So, demanding a why isn't something he has to give you. But let's say you want to get an answer out of him anyway and/or want him to give you a job.

You're not going to pressure him into this by cornering him. Your stance of "it's harder to blow off a person standing right in front of you" may be true, but it's going to make it much uglier and more definitive when he does it.

He obviously doesn't want to hire you right now. The reasoning behind that is something for him to know and it isn't something he wants to share or he probably would have. Maybe the company is about to perform layoffs because of some missed targets. Maybe he's keeping up appearances with the car but is really struggling financially and doesn't want to let that out.

Whatever the reason, no good will come from trying to corner someone and demand either a job or an explanation for why they won't hire you. Maybe things will change in the future and he'll reach back out to you once things clear up, but if you burn the bridge by pressing too hard, you're likely to regret it in the future.

Besides, why does it really matter what is reasoning is? He's not hiring you, that's all there is to it. If he texted you and told you he thought you were incompetent, would that make things better? What if he said they found someone else instead? Or he told you about the financial hardships they're facing?

Would knowing which one of those was the reason for not hiring you change your life? Since it probably won't have an impact, why get hung up on it?

Old 11-03-2014, 04:39 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Let's consider the facts here.

1) While looking at your friends phone you saw that the CEO Cousin said tell your friend he has the job
2) The CEO Cousin is no longer offering either one of you a job

The reasoning behind why number 2 happened doesn't matter. Even if he gave you a job and fired you after 5 minutes, that's legal in just about every state in the US. You can certainly dislike it, but there's no obligation to let you work at his company unless a contract stating as much was signed(the legal definition of a contract has not been met here by the way). And FYI, he has absolutely no need to compensate you for anything. If you're looking for that, you should probably just give up now.

So, demanding a why isn't something he has to give you. But let's say you want to get an answer out of him anyway and/or want him to give you a job.

You're not going to pressure him into this by cornering him. Your stance of "it's harder to blow off a person standing right in front of you" may be true, but it's going to make it much uglier and more definitive when he does it.

He obviously doesn't want to hire you right now. The reasoning behind that is something for him to know and it isn't something he wants to share or he probably would have. Maybe the company is about to perform layoffs because of some missed targets. Maybe he's keeping up appearances with the car but is really struggling financially and doesn't want to let that out.

Whatever the reason, no good will come from trying to corner someone and demand either a job or an explanation for why they won't hire you. Maybe things will change in the future and he'll reach back out to you once things clear up, but if you burn the bridge by pressing too hard, you're likely to regret it in the future.

Besides, why does it really matter what is reasoning is? He's not hiring you, that's all there is to it. If he texted you and told you he thought you were incompetent, would that make things better? What if he said they found someone else instead? Or he told you about the financial hardships they're facing?

Would knowing which one of those was the reason for not hiring you change your life? Since it probably won't have an impact, why get hung up on it?
Fact of the matter is, I have no idea why the hiring got cancelled or put on hold. It could be anything you suggested or a number of other things. Probably the only way I'll find out at this point, is if I ask and he tells me. I really don't see the harm in asking him. He is the one that said I was hired, he is accountable as far as I'm concerned for what he said.
And despite what others say, I do believe there is a chance this could still be worked out.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
What type of compensation would you be expecting?
It depends on what he says. If he hired someone else, I would at least suggest it would be appropriate for me to be 'next in line'. If he just made a mistake and apologizes, I guess I would suggest he should pay for the beers we are drinking. It depends.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:53 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,291,487 times
Quote:
It depends on what he says. If he hired someone else, I would at least suggest it would be appropriate for me to be 'next in line'. If he just made a mistake and apologizes, I guess I would suggest he should pay for the beers we are drinking. It depends.
I know you want to keep your privacy here, but can you tell us what industry this company is in? Or what kind of products or services you would be selling? For example, is this in the financial industry? Telecommunications? Pharmaceutical? IT services? Or is this not consumer based at all and it's selling B2B (Business to Business)? Or possibly a US government contractor?

It matters because in some industries their outlook turns very quickly. Like if a large customer just canceled an order which is a huge chunk of their business, they could have an immediate cashflow problem and instead of adding people could be distracted with a layoff. As I mentioned before they could be declaring bankruptcy or trying very hard to avoid it, and they won't tell anyone about that who doesn't have a need to know.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I believe a employment opportunity that is "factually offered" would contain at least three essentials:

1. The company name.

2. The prospective employees name.

3. The word "employment."

It doesn't sound like this exists.

Agreed, except that would be referred to as a formal offer.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I know you want to keep your privacy here, but can you tell us what industry this company is in? Or what kind of products or services you would be selling? For example, is this in the financial industry? Telecommunications? Pharmaceutical? IT services? Or is this not consumer based at all and it's selling B2B (Business to Business)? Or possibly a US government contractor?

It matters because in some industries their outlook turns very quickly. Like if a large customer just canceled an order which is a huge chunk of their business, they could have an immediate cashflow problem and instead of adding people could be distracted with a layoff. As I mentioned before they could be declaring bankruptcy or trying very hard to avoid it, and they won't tell anyone about that who doesn't have a need to know.
I already disclosed that it's heating and air conditioning systems. Heating systems in winter, air conditioning systems in summer.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times
Quote:
I've already done this.

A couple other family members and my friends wife.

I don't know.

I've already answered that.

Speaking voice seems appropriate.

I'll ask him why he told both my friend and I that we were hired. I'll also ask him how he plans to compensate us for hanging us out to dry this last week.

Okay, now I get it. It's suddenly all clear to me. The op is pretending he has been wronged somehow in order to extract monetary compensation. Like pretending when you slipped on a slippery floor, but didn't fall, that it caused great physical harm and mental duress. It's all about $$$.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,850,742 times
Quote:
I already disclosed that it's heating and air conditioning systems. Heating systems in winter, air conditioning systems in summer.
Is there chimney cleaning involved?

Old 11-03-2014, 05:31 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,850,742 times
Quote:
As I've said before, factually, he already offered me the job. Of course my friend has his email address. I've already explained why I haven't emailed him. Again, it's a lot easier to blow off an email, text, or phone call than it is to blow off a person standing right in front of you.
Okay, got it; it is just easier to whine here a hundred times than shoot him an email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search