Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 08:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,458,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I think the owner of the company qualifies as having the authority to make an offer.
The owner made the offer.
When? You said earlier you were going to corner him at a family gathering with his cousin or your cousin or the guy you know, who has a cousin, who knows a guy, who used to know the owner's son who has a cousin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 08:14 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,307,637 times
Quote:
I never said I knew the guy well. What I said was that I did some contract work for his company a few months ago. I never dealt with him directly, but he knows how I am. As to why he called me "your friend" instead of by my first name, I do not know.

I don't appreciate the accusation that I'm being untruthful.
If you never dealt with him directly, there's no evidence he knows who you are, or that he has made the connection that you are a friend of his cousin. I've worked in very large companies and some departments with 300 people, and the head of the department didn't know everyone by name unless you dealt with he or she directly and a number of times. He referred to you as "your friend" to his cousin because he doesn't know who you are.

When a hiring manager or upper management has an interest in someone that's referred to him or her, the first thing they do is have someone from the company's HR contact the person of interest directly, and ask them to apply for the job. There would be no reason to circumvent this if this was a real job offer. I have a friend who left a company to work elsewhere and within less than a year came back to that same company and they still required a background check and drug test, because this is what the do with all new hires. You can say it's his company and he can do whatever he wants, but there would be no reason not to process you through HR if you really were under consideration for the job. From all your postings here, knowing his cousin has done nothing for you. You would have gotten better treatment if you had applied for an open job with the company you are qualified for than this mystery and intrigue. You seem to value this cousin of his as an important connection, and it isn't one.

Think of it this way. Let's take the cousin situation from the equation all together. From everything you have said about the lack of direct communications and what communications you got were changing all the time, plus wanting you to pay for training, you'd say this wasn't a serious job opening and you'd move on to another position.

If you are having hopes you think you can turn this thing around into a real job with everything you hoped for, that isn't going to happen because of what you have told us about it. The facts speak so loudly, because you are mistakenly thinking people here are attacking you. What they are desperately trying to do is get your attention and help you prevent yourself from being made a fool out of this situation by a well-meaning friend of yours. The simple fact they even brought up the idea that you should pay for training is beyond insulting coming from a company especially 100 employees. That single fact by itself is very bad. Who knows, perhaps his cousin came up with that as a reason for you to back out of promising him or you a job, because most people would say forget this, I'm not paying for training so the employer can benefit from it.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I do have a job offer, just not a job offer in the way that you describe. I also disagree emphatically with your last sentence. I used to be part owner of a company a few years ago. If I offered a job verbally, I considered that a bona fide job offer. If I ever own a company again, I would still feel the same way.
You didn't even get a verbal job offer to you directly. You didn't even get an e-mail addressed to you from the company. This text message wasn't even sent to you directly either. I'm not coming up with some unique way to describe what a job offer is, this is a standard Western job offer situation.

Please read this:
What Is a Job Offer?

Old 11-02-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I think the owner of the company qualifies as having the authority to make an offer.
The owner made the offer.
But the owner of the company didn't make the job offer to you. He told his cousin about the job offer and didn't mention you by name, he said "Your friend". He doesn't know you, and the script I wrote of what is going to happen when you show up at the party and confront him is the most likely scenario to occur.

If the CEO (owner) had actually talked to you on the phone, in-person through text or e-mail, fax or postal mail and said something like "We would like to hire you for the job..." then you have a job offer.

You said you have hired people verbally? Did you hire communicate with them directly, or tell a friend of theirs they had the job?

Old 11-02-2014, 08:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,838,426 times
Quote:
Why are asking a question that you already know the answer to?
Look. As far as this business owner knows, you have no idea what has transpired between him and his cousin since the "offer" was made... Why not act like it?

You have his number. He must know you have his number. So why not call and accept the offer? I honestly don't know why you wouldn't contact him to iron out the details. I am being serious. You really DON'T know what he is thinking since he never tried to reneg on your offer directly or even indirectly.

What are you afraid of?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:07 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,900,459 times
This is really getting tiresome. The OP should just get his buddy (who is like a brother to the company owner) to give him the cousin's email address at work. The OP can then send an email to the CEO guy thanking him for the "offer" and asking him when they can get together to iron out the details. The employer can then clarify exactly what all those texts were about. This "professional salesman" should be handling his own job search rather than have his pal communicating with his cousin Vinnie on his behalf.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:52 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,038,773 times
At any time did you go to see anyone, in person, about a job? By anyone, someone with HR, from this company and talk verbally and present a resume to them?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:08 AM

9,889 posts, read 11,832,635 times
There is very little chance, that the owner would know before checking that they had or did not have, an opening for you to fill. So he said yes I will see if I could help you, and there was no place to put you to work, and no owner is going to hire a couple more employees than they have jobs for.

The owner of a company of any size, does not actually do the hiring. They have a HR department, and they have department managers. They would turn your names over to the person that would handle the actual hiring. When they did this, the HR department would get in touch with the department head of the department where you would be considered as a new hire. It is very probable that the department head said, "No way do I want that guy working for me ". That ended your job prospects.

Or they decided they did not need you in that department, and there really was not a job open for you to fill. End of the consideration to hire you or your friend.

The owner is not the HM. He would have turned you over to others to take care of. And they did not have an opening for you, for any job you would fit into.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:34 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,957,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
If you never dealt with him directly, there's no evidence he knows who you are, or that he has made the connection that you are a friend of his cousin. I've worked in very large companies and some departments with 300 people, and the head of the department didn't know everyone by name unless you dealt with he or she directly and a number of times. He referred to you as "your friend" to his cousin because he doesn't know who you are.

When a hiring manager or upper management has an interest in someone that's referred to him or her, the first thing they do is have someone from the company's HR contact the person of interest directly, and ask them to apply for the job. There would be no reason to circumvent this if this was a real job offer. I have a friend who left a company to work elsewhere and within less than a year came back to that same company and they still required a background check and drug test, because this is what the do with all new hires. You can say it's his company and he can do whatever he wants, but there would be no reason not to process you through HR if you really were under consideration for the job. From all your postings here, knowing his cousin has done nothing for you. You would have gotten better treatment if you had applied for an open job with the company you are qualified for than this mystery and intrigue. You seem to value this cousin of his as an important connection, and it isn't one.

Think of it this way. Let's take the cousin situation from the equation all together. From everything you have said about the lack of direct communications and what communications you got were changing all the time, plus wanting you to pay for training, you'd say this wasn't a serious job opening and you'd move on to another position.

If you are having hopes you think you can turn this thing around into a real job with everything you hoped for, that isn't going to happen because of what you have told us about it. The facts speak so loudly, because you are mistakenly thinking people here are attacking you. What they are desperately trying to do is get your attention and help you prevent yourself from being made a fool out of this situation by a well-meaning friend of yours. The simple fact they even brought up the idea that you should pay for training is beyond insulting coming from a company especially 100 employees. That single fact by itself is very bad. Who knows, perhaps his cousin came up with that as a reason for you to back out of promising him or you a job, because most people would say forget this, I'm not paying for training so the employer can benefit from it.
1. There is plenty of evidence that the owner knows who I am. I have contacts at the company that have told me he knows who I am. Plus my friend, who I trust in a professional capacity, told me knows who I am.
2. Your circumscribed notion of the hiring process is not true everywhere, and I know that for a fact. The company I worked for for 15 years did not have the hiring process you allude to. We had 4 different offices and over 200 employees at one point, yet the owner hired people himself at times. We had exactly ONE Hr person, btw. She was not involved in the hiring process at all.
3. As far as the training, it's not the training itself that employees pay for, it's the course that I alluded to. I don't think this is necessarily a deal breaker for me personally.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:36 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,957,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Look. As far as this business owner knows, you have no idea what has transpired between him and his cousin since the "offer" was made... Why not act like it?

You have his number. He must know you have his number. So why not call and accept the offer? I honestly don't know why you wouldn't contact him to iron out the details. I am being serious. You really DON'T know what he is thinking since he never tried to reneg on your offer directly or even indirectly.

What are you afraid of?
I know exactly what transpired. He showed me his phone even. He's kept in contact with me everyday as well. We are headed to the get together tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search